News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

A split fairway hole I'd like to see
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
 O
 -
(0)
 o

The circle at the top is the green; the circle at the bottom is the tee; the circle in the center is a pond; the parentheses are separate fairways; the dash is some sort of obstacle.

What I'm crudely suggesting here is symmetrical (yet mirror-image) fairways that wrap around a water hazard on both the left and right, with some kind of obstacle -- trees or sand, or maybe a ditch -- at the end of the water hazard, making a carry almost impossible, and ill-advised. The golfer must choose either the left or the right fairway, depending on his or her ball shape, comfort level, wind, etc.

I know land prices tend to make 19 fairways on an 18-hole course an expensive luxury, but I wonder if such a hole exists somewhere, and whether players (would) like it. I've never played a split-fairway hole that I thought offered equally appealing options -- one is always preferable to the other. On a hole like this, I don't think that would be the case. Thoughts?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dean Paolucci

Re: A split fairway hole I'd like to see
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:37:02 PM »
Rick - I have never seen anything like this idea but I think it is great to use mirror images of the hole.  It really does not favor a particular shot shape.  Question: In your mind would the green also have a mirror image by center line or mid line?

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
Dean,

In keeping with the premise of the hole, I don't think there should be an advantage to hitting your approach shot from either the left or right fairway. Assuming you chose the left side because your shot shape is a power fade, the green should also be receptive a faded approach. Same with a draw, if you choose to play the right fairway. That might argue for a relatively flat green, with, perhaps, a centerline bunker in front. An upper tier could add a little more interest without favoring an approach from one side or the other.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »
Cobbs Creek ... 6th hole ???
Not quite a mirror left and right
But the creek running down the center hole.  Split fairway on both sides of the creek.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:09:34 PM »
Anybody have a photo of Cobbs Creek #6?

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »
Why do my question marks get changed to those stupid smiles (question mark).  The old style had a box to check to not use them.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »
Anybody have a photo of Cobbs Creek #6?

Karl/Rick,

It's the 5th hole at Cobb's Creek.   

Here's a vintage pic;

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 03:18:21 PM by MPCirba »

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
the original post had a question mark after the hole.
I wasn't sure if it was 5 or 6 ...
Stupid smiles !

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
Here's some from the famed Joe Bausch collection;

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
I think I see my golf ball in one of those photos.
They one time my "baby fade" doesn't baby !

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »
Yea ... I'm a junior member now.
I'll be quite again ...

Steven_Biehl

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 03:50:55 PM »
The 7th hole of the Kampen course and Purdue University is like what you are describing.  At Kampen the water is a bunker running the length of the fairway.  I do not have a picture of it, and the only one I could find on Purdue's website was on the main page as it scrolled through images.  The 7th hole is the second picture that comes up on their website: www.purduegolf.com.
"He who creates a cricket ground is at best a good craftsman but the creator of a great hole is an artist.  We golfers can talk, and sometimes do talk considerable nonsense too, about our favourite holes for hours together." - Bernard Darwin, Golf

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
Google Maps aerial picture

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »
Karl,

I don't think that worked.   Can anyone else see it? 

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 04:32:37 PM »
Steven,

It looks like #7 at the Kampen course is very much like I was thinking of (replacing water with sand, but the concept is the same.) I wish we could post the photo from the website, but it's one of those Flash photoshows.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
Dean,

In keeping with the premise of the hole, I don't think there should be an advantage to hitting your approach shot from either the left or right fairway. Assuming you chose the left side because your shot shape is a power fade, the green should also be receptive a faded approach. Same with a draw, if you choose to play the right fairway. That might argue for a relatively flat green, with, perhaps, a centerline bunker in front. An upper tier could add a little more interest without favoring an approach from one side or the other.

Rick,

Thanks for the reply!  I like the idea of a common front with a back tier.  Really adds an element of interest to the green.

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
It's the 5th hole at Cobb's Creek.   

Here's a pic;

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 04:40:24 PM »
Good one, Karl...I was out there yesterday tromping around taking pics.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 05:34:03 PM »
Thanks, Karl. Is that the tee just above the green on the lower right?

This hole looks pretty narrow on the right side, especially with the trees. I was envisioning a theoretical hole that didn't need trees on either side -- in fact, the farther right or left you went would simply put you farther from the green, whereas risking a shot closer to the water would reward you with a shorter approach -- almost a double cape. But I'd have to look at the Cobb's Creek hole from the tee to see if it's close to what I'm looking for.

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 06:12:48 PM »
Atlanta National's par 5 9th hole. If i knew how to post pics or aerials I would :'(

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »
Here's the 7th at Kampen (thanks to Steven Biehl) -- very much what I was thinking of. Even cooler if the waste area/bunker was water, but I think this would be a fun hole to play.

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 08:09:43 PM »
I'm on a roll ... overhead of the Boilermaker's course

John Moore II

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
Valhalla GC in Louisville has sort of the same thing on the 18th hole, it just doesn't run all the way down the fairway.

--BTW--anyone able to tell me how to post images from Google Earth?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back