News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bill_k

Everglades Club
« on: March 18, 2003, 08:37:35 AM »
I had the opportunity to play the Everglades Club in Palm Beach for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I had seen aerial photos of the property taken prior to Silva's restoration -  the course that exists there now bears little resemblance to the aerial photo other than the basic routing. I am told some 1-200,000 cubic feet of fill was dredged to rebuild. It is obvious from that photo that little if anything substantial remained from Raynor's original design by 1985(when it was taken). Although short and extremely tight by modern standards, I found it to be a hell of a lot of fun to play. Several of the green complexes, most notably the punchbowl eighth and biarritz 14th, are breathtaking.
My question is - has anyone out there played Everglades both before and after Silva's work and if so, what are their thoughts. Also, and perhaps most importantly, since it is apparent that several holes were changed completely (such as the 1st which went from a 345 yrd par 4 to a 545 yard par 5 with the green moved some 200 yrds back and to the left- and the redan 4th which apparently did not originally cross water) should this be considered a "reinterpretation" as opposed to a "renovation". Just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

Re: Everglades Club
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 08:42:18 AM »
I played it a couple of times but it's been too long now to offer any constructive criticism--and that was long before my interest in architecture.

However, the times I played the course I will never forget my thoughts during those rounds which were---please don't hit a shot off-line and wipe out the windshield of a Rolls Royce.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 08:44:41 AM »
Bill--

The nines were reversed during the restoration project at the Everglades Club.  I played there in January and enjoyed the round.  I particularly liked some of the green contouring that Brian Silva put in the greens.  The bunkers definitely look like Raynor's work now with more vertical sod faces and they tend to be geometric in shape.  

I particularly liked the long par 4 fifth hole, a Road hole design and the punchbowl eighth. Also the cape tends to be more sympathetic to the original Cape idea presented by George Bahto with the green surrounded in the front, left, and part of the rear by water.

The changes have received a mixed reaction by the membership, some love it, some hate it as being too difficult for the aged membership that the Everglades has.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 09:26:59 AM »
Is the Everglades Club still considered the snootiest club in the world? I remember the day if your first wife's great uncle's chauffeur was Jewish they might throw you out of the place. But not that things weren't balanced out in Palm Beach back then. The Jewish club up at the north end of Palm Beach--man, you couldn't barge in there with a full option Hummer!

Those were the days when the concept of "political correctness" had not occured to Palm Beach, I guess.

But things changed;

Ever hear the story of the time Mr Phipps was bullying his way down Worth Ave, and some little gay guy sashaying the other way got in his way and Mr Phipps took the back of his arm and swiped the little feller into the gutter? And the little gay guy sprung up, dusted himself off and shreeked at Mr Phipps----TOURIST!!

So how long is that #14 biarritz these days, and does it have a swale with green section in front?

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 04:35:42 PM »
Tom-

The Biarritz 14th hole at the Everglades now plays around 195 yards from the back tee.  The green has a valley running through the middle of it, but not nearly as deep as the valley that I've seen on some of the Biarritz greens.  The green is not nearly as big either, in length or width.  I guess my best description of the hole would be "Biarrtz Light."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 06:51:35 PM »
Bill_K

I had the opportunity to play the Everglades Club in Palm Beach for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I had seen aerial photos of the property taken prior to Silva's restoration .....should this be considered a "reinterpretation" as opposed to a "renovation"....

How did your host classify the work ?

I've played it prior to the work and am hopeful that I'll play it again, shortly.

It was a sporty course, limited by the amount of land
available.  It sits on one of the most valueable parcels of property in Florida.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:20:43 PM »
thumbs up to the changes--

I'm bumping this for a friend of mine.

any information on the golf course is appreciated.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:32:31 AM »
Is it worth playing? Do they let jews in the locker room?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

henrye

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
I think you're OK there now Cary.  I will say, however, that my Grandmother sadly wouldn't invite my sister down to Palm Beach because she married a jewish man from a family who were longtime friends.  She never mentioned anything about the Everglades club, but told me once, "I can't have your sister down here with her husband, because jews are not welcome at the Bath & Tennis club".  I pushed her and asked if she really thought whether that was still the case, and she said, "yes".  She never said anything about exclusionary issues at the Everglades club.

John Gosselin

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »

Everglades is worth taking a look just to see how to fit 18 holes of decent golf on 73 acres.

I have only played there after the renovations and assumed it was some type of restoration until now. My host described it as a restoration in our conversations.

The course was fun to play, although on windy days plan on playing from some adjacent fairways. Everything such as greens are scaled down to the property and works well except for the biarritz green. IMHO
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

Lester George

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »
Didn't have time to play it but thought it was truly cool.  One of the best punchbowls ever.  Biarritz is not all that inspiring. 

Lester

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
The impetus behind the changes was the poor drainage of the course. Prior to the renovation a good rain storm would prevent play for as long as three days.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back