News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

How would GCA be different if there was NO PGA at all?
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:09:18 AM »
To me, this is the most interesting variation of those questions. If no PGA had stimulated the present high interest in golf, and it had remained a sport for the 'indolant wealthy' [ ;)], would we be getting the huge range of ideas we have now? Or would golf courses ALL be 'classical'? Would you like that?

And for some of you, the extra fun question: would there be golf carts?

Doug
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 09:10:04 AM by Doug Ralston »

Phil_the_Author

Re:How would GCA be different if there was NO PGA at all?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
Doug,

Which PGA are you refering to? The PGA of America founded in 1916 or the PGA Tour founded in the 60's by Palmer & Nicklaus breaking away or the modern PGA Tour (give a date)and its marketing and current players?

They really are (were) very different entities with compltely different agendas including local clubs, course design and maintenance...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
With regard to the PGA Tour, I flipped to The Golf Channel last night and ended up watching about 5 minutes of the Champions Tour event from Hawaii.

I don't who it was, but a Champions Tour player made a comment about the 18th hole there, stating it "wasn't a finishing hole". In other words, the challenge presented by the final hole wasn't adequate for the conclusion of a round/tournament.

Talk about formulaic thinking. To be honest, I'm perplexed by such a comment.

Eduardo Romero was shown during the telecast as well, and I was reminded of a comment he makes in a past issue of Golf Course Architecture magazine relative to his entrance into golf course design.

Along with stating St. Andrews has some unfair holes, Romero says: "The best golf courses are those that reward the player who makes a good shot and punishes the bad shot. A good shot should not be penalized."

Which begs a legitimate question: What is a "good shot"? I interpret this as Romero figuring if he's struck the ball well, on his intended trajectory and line, the result MUST be good. Is this golf?

It's no surprise he feels the Old Course has some "unfair holes"  :)
jeffmingay.com

Doug Ralston

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »
But you still must know what I am asking. The PGA Tour, especially with the rise of Tiger, has made golf a sport that people of lower economic levels can now play, and even dream of glory in. If the Tour had never become a booming TV sport, would we have had a Fazio? Would Jim Engh ever have put Lakota Canyon in that place? Would there be quality golf in the mountains of eastern Kentucky?

You know there wouldn't be. I think the boom has allowed for MUCH more variety than ever could have been encouraged in those conservative clubs.

Again, this is not to imply the classic courses are not great ..... just to say other ideas needed some monetary space in which to generate. How many TOC's can you have? How many would you want?

I think the popularity of golf is directly and completely tied to the Tour. Money was needed but the Tour provided inspiration. I think without them, golf would mostly be the small siide sport of the well to do.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back