News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

It's about time....
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
...that I introduce myself. I guess I don't mind being referred to as JS or JSPayne, but figure it might help if at least the regular posters knew who I was.  :)

My name is Jeremy Payne. I am the current Assistant Superintendent at Sierra View Country Club in Roseville, CA, but I will be starting my first superintedent job on Jan. 30 at Empire Ranch GC in Folsom....making the challanging change from private to public.

I grew up in the Sacramento area, played HS golf and have gotten around to many courses in California mainly through HS golf, outings with my dad and brother (who always love to try out new places) and with luck through the many wonderful industry contacts that I've made over the few years I've been in this great business.

After graduating Cal Poly SLO with a degree in turf and working at Dairy Creek (county muni) and Poppy Hills over the summers, I completed the NCGA Superintendent Intern program (absolute BEST golf related experience of my life) at Meadow Club in Fairfax, where assisant Sean Tully turned me on to this site. I worked shortly at Sharon Heights CC in Menlo Park following my internship and that brings my work history up to date.

I am not a huge fan of any PARTICULAR type of architecture, but love this game, am preferential to natural, minimalist design but still can enjoy the right modern or even "template" course provided the fun and challange is there, but mainly enjoy this site because I do believe it to be a critical aspect of a superintendent's job to know and at least attempt to understand architecture. Our job is to provide the best golf course for our customers and we would be missing a big part of that job if we didn't understand how the maintenance we perform affects or contributes to the overall design and intentions of the course.

All that being said, thanks for welcoming me and hopefully I don't dig myself into too deep of holes should I ever get really caught up in any one of the wonderful discussions *coughdebatescough* of this board.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Kalen Braley

Re:It's about time....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
Hey Jeremy,

A late welcome to GCA from me.  As a NorCal native its good to have another one of "us" on the board   ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:54:46 PM »
Wow, going from private to public and taking the job as the super, congratulations.

Do you have a plan for Empire Ranch or just try and maintain it?

The 18th is a par 3 for those who don't know the course.

JSPayne

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
Joel,

Ironically, the first golf course I worked at, Dairy Creek in San Luis Obispo (Harbottle design) also had a finishing par 3, though not as demanding or picturesque as the one at Empire. I hear the locals actually really enjoy it.

My main task will definetely be maintenance....and to not get in the way of the golfers streaming through the door.  :) Luckily ER is very well situated and there aren't a TON of other comparable courses in the immediate area, but the course is surrounded by alot of new higher end development. So that bodes well for business.

However, one big task will be to continue to keep out and eradicate Poa. ER still has mostly pure rye/bluegrass fairways and bentgrass greens from it's 2001 opening, something almost unheard of in this area. The conditioning is great so far due to a very adept past superintendent.

At the same time, I have been asking around and looking into reviews of the course from patrons and have found that the design and memorability of the course seems to be lackluster, beyond it's reputation for pristine maintenance (good for my department!). So I will be trying to find anything and everything I can do to try and increase the playability and, if possible, memorability of the course.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome and will always be taken with a grain of salt.  ;D
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

JSPayne

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:04:43 PM »
BTW, a photo tour of Empire Ranch can be found here, for anyone interested (Brad Bell design):

http://www.ermgc.com/er01.html

Dave_Miller

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »
...that I introduce myself. I guess I don't mind being referred to as JS or JSPayne, but figure it might help if at least the regular posters knew who I was.  :)

My name is Jeremy Payne. I am the current Assistant Superintendent at Sierra View Country Club in Roseville, CA, but I will be starting my first superintedent job on Jan. 30 at Empire Ranch GC in Folsom....making the challanging change from private to public.

I grew up in the Sacramento area, played HS golf and have gotten around to many courses in California mainly through HS golf, outings with my dad and brother (who always love to try out new places) and with luck through the many wonderful industry contacts that I've made over the few years I've been in this great business.

After graduating Cal Poly SLO with a degree in turf and working at Dairy Creek (county muni) and Poppy Hills over the summers, I completed the NCGA Superintendent Intern program (absolute BEST golf related experience of my life) at Meadow Club in Fairfax, where assisant Sean Tully turned me on to this site. I worked shortly at Sharon Heights CC in Menlo Park following my internship and that brings my work history up to date.

I am not a huge fan of any PARTICULAR type of architecture, but love this game, am preferential to natural, minimalist design but still can enjoy the right modern or even "template" course provided the fun and challange is there, but mainly enjoy this site because I do believe it to be a critical aspect of a superintendent's job to know and at least attempt to understand architecture. Our job is to provide the best golf course for our customers and we would be missing a big part of that job if we didn't understand how the maintenance we perform affects or contributes to the overall design and intentions of the course.

All that being said, thanks for welcoming me and hopefully I don't dig myself into too deep of holes should I ever get really caught up in any one of the wonderful discussions *coughdebatescough* of this board.

Jeremy:
From the East Coast welcome to GCA.  Post ofter and frequently ;D
Best
Dave

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
However, one big task will be to continue to keep out and eradicate Poa. ER still has mostly pure rye/bluegrass fairways and bentgrass greens from it's 2001 opening, something almost unheard of in this area.

How is this possible?   I wonder if you are fighting mother nature and the poa will come back, somehow, someday.

JSPayne

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
Well Joel, all I can say is, it's possible. To give you a write up on everything about fighting Poa could almost constitute a whole book at this point (almost like the already published book about managing Poa as a desireable turfgrass!). It's a fine line almost every course in California has to encounter at some point: to put alot of resources and effort into preventing and eradicating Poa, or to just give in, hold it off as long as you can, but eventually start managing it just like the rest of your grasses.

I can tell you at least at Empire Ranch, and many other courses I've visited (see Sonoma GC, SFCC, among others) the best chance you have is to start from grow in, or from a complete rennovation. Most attempts to interseed into existing stong Poa stands hasn't worked very well. But if you start out with a nearly pure stand of Rye or Bent, whatever you have, the right combination of water, fertilizer and just a touch of chemicals can actually be very successful at keeping Poa at bay. And for those that cherish the qualities of those other grasses as opposed to the yellow-green color and afternoon bumpy nature of Poa, many will go to great lengths to do whatever they can to keep Poa away from their course.

I have never seen 100% control, but I have seen 80-90% and that's pretty good as far as the golfers are concerned.

Two main points for fighting Poa:
(1) Poa, like any plant, grows and thrives where conditions for its needs are most favorable (right kind of soil, moisture, sunlight, etc.). If you can manage the conditions in such a way as to make them more favorable for another kind of grass, you've achieved part success.
(2) Poa in these cases is treated as a weed. And as with any other weed, the absolute BEST defense is a dense, healthly stand of your desirable turfgrass. If you can sod in/grow in a dense stand of your desirable grass, and KEEP it dense (that's the key), there is little room for Poa to compete.

Obviously it all sounds simpler in theory than it actually is in practice. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back