News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Bel Air and Fazio
« on: October 05, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
I have a good friend who says Fazio did some work at Bel Air. I was wondering if the "Little Captain" had any comment. (Geoff, this means you.)

Geoff_Shackelford

Bel Air and Fazio
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 1999, 08:00:00 PM »
Gib,I have not seen the work. I was warned not to go, but I will get up there one of these days. They have funded it with commorative brdiges and put a lake where the old alternate option fairway on 11 used to be, so I don't know much I will be able to tolerate it. On the other hand, the cement ditch was a nightmare (unless you have a hook like mine, then it could be a blessing watching your ball ricochet back into play!). They are calling this a Fazio project huh? I have to wonder if he ever was there as shocking as that may be. I don't think he visited the last time they did their Shadow Creek wannabe project on 1 and 8. It's probably more like Andy Banfield or Tom Marzolf as the architect of record, and I'm sure they did the best they could, which is tough at Bel-Air.Geoff

Joel_Stewart

Re:Bel Air and Fazio
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:12:02 PM »
I haven't played here in maybe 4 years.  Has anyone played it recently?  What changes have they made recently?

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »
The bunkering to the right of the first green has been expanded.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 04:10:19 PM »
I haven't played here in maybe 4 years.  Has anyone played it recently?  What changes have they made recently?

They have made it an official policy to request a tee time for now  ;) It's very, very busy right now with all the Hollywood exec's having time on their hands! :o
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

nandoal

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:28 PM »
I worked at Bel-Air CC on the Outside staff for 3 years. I wasn't aware of any Fazio work that had been done.  >:(  Guess I got to make a few phone calls.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
I worked at Bel-Air CC on the Outside staff for 3 years. I wasn't aware of any Fazio work that had been done.  >:(  Guess I got to make a few phone calls.

Oh man.  Did you think the 7th green was by George Thomas?

nandoal

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:11 PM »

Oh man.  Did you think the 7th green was by George Thomas?

::)  The 7th and 8th to start.  I just made a call to the #1 caddy at Bel-Air,  I'll post more in a few.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:45:07 PM »
Allan, maybe you can start planting a seed over there to bring back the former glory the course once had. They can start with the Mae West hole (number 12).
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

nandoal

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »
Allan, maybe you can start planting a seed over there to bring back the former glory the course once had. They can start with the Mae West hole (number 12).

Ahhhh the lovely Mae West..the site of my 1st ever Eagle!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:01:01 AM by Allan_Hernandez »

nandoal

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:41:39 AM »

Fazio did the driving range.  The creek on #1, redid pond, redid #1 green. He extended the creek up the right hand side of #8. TF buried the cement culvort on the back 9 and made the creek that now goes up #11,12,13 & 14.  New back tee on #13 amongst other little renovations.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

Fazio did the driving range.  The creek on #1, redid pond, redid #1 green. He extended the creek up the right hand side of #8. TF buried the cement culvort on the back 9 and made the creek that now goes up #11,12,13 & 14.  New back tee on #13 amongst other little renovations.

It would be interesting to see long ago and current aerials side by side.  Assuming the concrete ditch wasn't original (wonder if it was more like the LACC and Riviera washes before the concrete?), I wonder if Fazio restored the original creeks....

I only played it once, in a match vs UCLA in 1962, and the day was a bit of a blur after my OB tee shot on #1.  Can't remember much but the tunnel and the bridge to #10 and Dean Martin hitting practice balls across the barranca.  It was a cool place.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
Bill,ob left or right? They probably didnt have that blue stake 8th green deal back then?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
Mike, this is a VERY VAGUE recollection, but most likely hard left as that was my miss in those long ago days.

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 11:31:58 PM »
Bill,as high as the tee is ,I could see a snap landing in 9 fairway and running out. Of course, I have hit one ob left at The Old Course so nothing left is safe from me.(Just to relive again the drama,I hit my third in play but still left,there were people on the rail who kindly threw my first ball back,I then hit a short iron fat about 20 yards.I was hoping for a UFO or the rapture.)

nandoal

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 06:28:09 AM »

I only played it once, in a match vs UCLA in 1962, and the day was a bit of a blur after my OB tee shot on #1.  

OB on #1?  Today an OB on #1 is a very difficult task.  You'd have to hit a huge hook through #9, or maybe a huge pull/slice across #18.  But back when you played it, the hole I'm sure was marked differently.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back