News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kirk Stewart

Mr. Hogan the GCA ??
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »
I have been told that Mr. Hogan designed exactly one golf course in his life. As was the case in the way he lived his life-meticulous and with purpose--he also designed this course in much the same way. Legend has it he changed his mind often during the design and construction of the course-moving bunkers, tees, greens and similar ilk.

I cannot recall the name of the course and have not been able to find any research on it. I seem to recall Champions Club in Ft. Worth ?

Does this course still exist and if so what are your opinions of it ? What are it's strategic merits ?

David Stamm

Re:Mr. Hogan the GCA ??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »
It's the Trophy Club. It still exists but I haven't played it.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »
Hogan was involved with one of the courses at Trophy Club, outside Ft. Worth. I've never played it but heard it's a very fair test for any level player but nothing special. I don't know if that was by his choice or what the developers asked of him.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:24:54 PM »
It's not bad but it's very underwhelming, almost plain. Not a special course.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:26:51 PM »
It's not bad but it's very underwhelming, almost plain. Not a special course.

Pretty much what I've heard, I think they have 36 and it's considered the weaker of the two.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »
The original 18 at Trophy Club had Hogan's attention and input.  He left the project well before it was completed, reportedly over design and compatibility issues with the developer.  According to a former associate who spoke with Hogan on several occasions, it was not a subject that he would discuss.

The course itself is underwhelming, fairly plain tee to green, with some interest on and around the putting surfaces.  If it is true that professional golfers turned architects design on the basis of their games, this course is the opposite of what would be expected from Hogan.

The housing development that encompasses the course has had financial problems at different times throughout its history.  A longtime mayor of Trophy Club (the city) was a friend of mine and it seemed like he was always putting out small fires (of the political variety).  Despite being surrounded by houses, the site of the original course is pretty good as is the routing.  I suspect that this is where Hogan had some impact.

BTW, this thread has been addressed here a couple of times previously, so more inforamtion may be available.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
Lou,

Is it true that Hogan desired that the green always be visible from the tee?

Bob

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
Bob,

I have heard that, but not from a source who could claim familiarity with Hogan.  I'll see if I can get a qualified answer for you.

BigEdSC

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:33:31 AM »
Quite a few years ago, my work had me out in Fort Worth.  I played the golf course that was part of Carswell AFB.  I was hooked up with a couple of locals playing it.  One of the guys seemed pretty up on history around the area and one of the stories he told me was that Hogan did some consulting on that course.  Hogan only designed one or two courses, but he kind of provided some guidance on that particular course.  

Now how true that is, I don't know, but I'm sure that someone here can enlighten us.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back