News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Some changes at French Creek
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:42:55 PM »
Just wanted to let you know about some changes at French Creek (Hanse - PA).

We have a new head greenkeeper (he prefers that title), Bruce Cadenelli formerly at Caves Valley and Metedeconk, who's working hard on improving conditioning and playability.  To say the members are excited would be an understatement.  In 4 weeks, he's already made some wonderful improvements.

A large number of trees to the left side of 14 have been removed, and the underbrush cleared.   The 2nd (drop) shot is now much more visible, but somewhat more emotionally intimidating due to the illusion of the green floating above the creek (which flows well down in the valley).  The creek itself is also much more visible, but is completely out of play - it's a long way down there.

You can now even see the flagstick from the tee.  

Gil mentioned how he wanted this area cleared when he did a walkaround last year.  I'm glad to see his wishes (finally) carried out.  (note to Tom Paul - I'll mention your insights on this hole to Bruce in a couple of weeks).

He's also cleaned up a wooded area to the right of the 11th fairway.  This area happens to be where Gil was stung by about a dozen yellow jackets one day when he was out playing with his wife and son back when the course was brand new.  It desperately needed attention, and it looks 100x better.

He's also doing a lot of bunker repair (drainage and removing contamination).

There's a bunch more, and it's amazing that he only started on  Dec 3.

Also - the club is off the market...  Our membership numbers are pretty good, we'll soon have a new experienced club manager.

I'll try to get some pics sometime soon.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:06:09 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Mike_Cirba

Re:Some changes at French Creek
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 05:07:18 PM »
Dan,

Great to hear all the good news.   There are a tremendous number of excellent holes at FC.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 05:12:33 PM »
Dan,
Bruce will be great for your golf club.  Needless to say he knows agronomy and also knows construction.  I worked with Bruce on several of our projects when he was with George Ley & Co.  He is very meticulous about doing things right.  French Creek will only get better with him on the job.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »
Mike and Mark - thanks for the good words.

We're psyched :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back