News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Chicago Aerial: Golden Age Publics 1 and 2
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »
Notwithstanding the recent Golf Magazine poll Chicago has been fortunate to be a leader in public golf from the time golf first started to take hold in the area.  This facility was started by a two brothers who were golfing novices who became addicted to the game after a union sponsored golf outing.  They called upon a local pro who originally hailed from Scotland to design the two courses of this public facility which opened in the 1920's.  

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2007/12/5/nobody-at-golf-magazine-would-dispute-chicago-is-one-of-the.html

This will be the first in a series on Golden Age public courses in the Chicago area.  

Full View

Course to the South

Course to Northeast
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:43:47 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tim_Cronin

Re:Chicago Aerial
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 01:32:07 PM »
For extra credit, name the cemetary immediately to the south!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

TEPaul

Re:Chicago Aerial: Golden Age Publics 1 and 2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »
Am I just starting to lose it or are those photos posted upside down?   :P

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »
Tom....I don't think so as the shadows seem to be going south to north. I would check your own orientation. Possibly you are standing on your head.  :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
Yes even in today's snow the course is open.  I have to admit I haven't played there in quite awhile and never played the 2nd course.  Knowing its heritage now I may need to get out there to see it next year.  Looks like most of it is intact.  

Interesting to see a par 4 running to the north on the west side of the lake just north of the clubhouse.  

Tom,  Maybe these will help.

South Course with newer 18 around it

North Course in the old aerial the course starts with #2
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 06:12:47 PM »
St. Andrews in West Chicago by Ed Dearie?

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 08:29:15 PM »
Dan and Paul:

Thanks for trying to help me out there but unfortunately I ain't buying any of it.

I don't know those courses at all but I suspect if they have any kind of problem at all it's probably because the architect designed and built them upside down by mistake.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:42:38 PM »
My first guess was St. Andrews as well...however I'm stumped  :-\
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 01:03:12 AM »
Tom,  

What's your problem.  

The course to the NE, with some modifications, along with its big sister which didn't exist at the time of the original aerials, hosted a US Amateur in 1997.  

Maybe Tim Cronin can add some historical jems to the discussion.  

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 02:00:21 AM »
It's tough to give any more hints without giving the whole thing away to any ordinary Joe out there.

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »
Did a certain pro's bad caddie get his start here?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »
Cog Hill site of my once beloved Western Open now an occasional host of the what's it called cup? Sad to see the 3rd largest golf market in the civilized world without a tourney. Is the cemetary part of Franciscan Village?

Dan Moore

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »

St Andrew's in West Chicago was close, but no cigar.  However, if memory serves, the Scottish architect, David McIntosh, hailed from the real St. Andrews.  

Here is a shot of David McIntosh in 1909.  He is one of the unsung heros of early Chicago golf.  Cornish and Whitten did not include him the The Golf Course, yet he designed both of these courses, had a hand in renovating Bendelow's original nine and possibly designing the 2nd nine at Glen Oak as it made the transition from Pickwick CC in the early teens before Langford's major redo in the 20's, designed Fort Wayne CC (with Langford??), and most important in my book was Langford's mentor and golf instructor while growing up at Westward Ho where McIntosh was the pro before moving to Glen Oak.  The Cog Hill website says McIntosh owned Oak Hills a course in nearby Palos Heights where the Coghill brothers first played golf in the Electrical Workers union golf outing.  

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 06:57:23 PM »
Wow! Great stuff. Never saw the postcard or the photo before. Did the latter come from the Daily News glass plate collection?

Dan Moore

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 12:18:20 PM »
Here is the 4 course Cog Hill complex today.  Course 4, Dick Wilson's "Dubsdread" added in 1964, is the heavily bunkered course below and to the west of the the original #2 course.  Without a doubt one of the premier public golf facilities in the country.  Ran refers to Dick Wilson as the "the finest golf course architect for the twenty year period from the end of World War II to 1965."

Courses 2 and 4 Hosted the 1997 US Amateur

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:14:43 PM by Dan Moore »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
Dan, Thanx for posting these, making me feel so inadequate in reading them. :'(
 I know the property, but from this perspective I am lost.

I'd like to know if anyone has imagined a re-do of the entire property?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 02:08:17 PM »
Dan,

As always, thanks for posting Chicago aerials. I am sure its only for my personal enjoyment and I appreciate it! ;D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Dan Moore

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 02:13:42 PM »
Adam Jeff you are welcome.  Don't feel lost, I always thought 13 on Dubsdread ran north to south.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back