News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

A. Herbert Wilson
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:25 PM »
A. Herbert Wilson shows up as Max Behr's partner in an add for architectural services in 1926. The add indicates an address in Pasadena, CA.

I've never heard of A. Herbert Wilson. Has anyone else? My guess is that he is an engineer partner. As in Flynn & Toomey or Langford & Moreau.

But Googling the name turns up nada. I can't find the name in C&W.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:51:17 AM by BCrosby »

BCrosby

Re:A. Herbert Wilson
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »
Bumping this with the hope someone knows something about A. Herbert Wilson.

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »
I wish I knew something about him Bob, but I don't. As you know any friend of Max is automatically a friend of mine!

That reprobate Nacarrato might know something but now he's gone and bolted the website.  ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
Here is the advertisement

Craig Disher

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Bob,
There's no mention of A. Herbert Wilson in CA's 1920 census data; nothing on Max Behr either. Behr was still in NY in 1920 living with his wife (he must have remarried quickly after his first wife died in 1918) and a few boarders on E 57th St. The 1930 census data isn't available for all states yet - including CA.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:07:44 PM »
Craig -

I hadn't thought to look at census data. Didn't know it was available to regular schmos. I don't think Behr moved to California until sometime in the early 20's. He was still editing the US Golf Illustrated from its NYC offices until about 1920, no?

My hunch (and it's just a hunch) is that A. Herbert Wilson was an aristocrat amateur golfer from England who lived for a time in CA. My further hunch is that Behr used his name to add a bit of posh. (OTOH, it would have been more logical for Behr to add some engineering depth to his new gca venture in California.)

The  mystery continues.

Bob    

Craig Disher

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »
Bob,
The census form indicates that his occupation is editor of a golf magazine. I looked at all the A... Wilsons in LA county in 1920 and didn't see a likely candidate. There were no Herbert Wilsons.

There is an article by "The Golfer" in the Nov 29, 1925 issue of the LATimes titled "Lakeside Wonder Course" which according to the summary mentions Herbert Wilson. They subhead of the article is "Immaculate Greens and Promising Fairways Prove Golfing Revelation to Local Fraternity." The LA Times charges for access to the full article so I didn't d/l it, cheap guy that I am. There are a couple other articles during the 20s that mention Herbert Wilson but this one seems to have the most promise.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back