News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Re:Tall Pines
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »
The fairways appear to be an inch long...where they "hairy?"

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 11:08:43 AM »
Chip, From the tees you played was it possible to go at 13 and 15 in two? How daunting was the tee shot at 12? I've been to The Masters 4 times but I'm curious as to what it plays like for any everyday amateur versus a seasoned tour player that I watch.

i was not able to reach 13 in two shots.  the tee shot is a very severe dogleg left.  you can't imagine the hook you have to play to get it around the corner.  two folks in my group were able to get it around the corner a little and gaev it a go, but both ended up in the creek.  its pretty hard to high a 2 iron when the ball is a foot above your feet that green.  i pushed in the to the pine straw and laid up with a 5 iron and hit a easy wedge.  then I three putted as i did all day.  the green at 13 is really fast.

i did reach 15 in two shots (actually just off the green and had to chip)

the tee shot on 12 was in my head all day.  that is the one shot i wanted to hit my entire life.  however when the time comes, and you only have one swing at it....it becomes a mind game.  we were playing the same tees as the masters and the pin was in the middle right over the bunker.  147 carry.  i hit a 8 iron which would usually be too much club but i had decided i was not going to hit it in the water.  so after addressing the ball i basically tried to swing as fast as possible so i wouldn't have "you have always wanted to hit this shot, don't screw it up" going through my head.  luckily i hit a really good shot that landed six inches short of the putting surface and rolled back in the bunker.  i was actually kind of relived to get that hole out of the way as crazy as that sounds.  funny how things like that work out in life...something you anticipate so much turns out to be a relief.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 01:34:40 PM »
The fairways appear to be an inch long...where they "hairy?"

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

yes, the fairways were pretty shaggy.  i don't think they mowed on the preceding day and they couldn't mow the day we played until the frost melted.

i am sure everyone has seen this one, but here a great aerial photo of augusta.

also, i just got this photo from my buddy....

Scott Szabo

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 02:41:57 PM »
Chip,

You are indeed a lucky man.  I'm sure it won't be long before that photo is framed and hanging on a wall somewhere....

I got to visit Augusta last April and it is a beautiful place.  I'm sure deep down all of us wish we could have traded places with you a few weeks ago.

Thanks for sharing,

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 05:52:40 PM »
From approx the same angle. Lovely proliferation of flora maxima, eh?

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back