News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Way off Topic: Greg Norman engaged to Chris Evert?!?
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
Chris Evert and Greg Norman Get Engaged

Reuters
Friday, December 14, 2007; 10:01 AM

PAARL, South Africa (Reuters) - Former tennis champion Chris Evert and ex-golf number one Greg Norman announced their engagement on Friday, during the South African Open golf tournament in the South-Western Cape.

Evert and Norman have both divorced their spouses in the last year -- Australian Norman agreeing a reported $100-million settlement with Laura in September and Evert splitting from Andy Mill, her second husband, last December.

Evert, the winner of 18 grand slam singles titles, confirmed the engagement at a news conference to announce she would be building a tennis centre at the Pearl Valley Golf Estates, where the South African Open golf is being held.

Asked whether there were any marriage plans between her and Norman, the American, sporting a large diamond on her left ring finger, replied: "Well, it is an engagement ring. We were engaged on Sunday night coming over here, en route to South Africa. We don't know when and where we'll be married though."

Evert, 53, jokingly asked Norman: "Why don't you say something to them (the media)? Gee, you're a big chicken!"

The 52-year-old Norman, a former world number one, is lying seventh equal in the South African Open on the second day of the tournament.

noonan

Re:Way off Topic: Greg Norman engaged to Chris Evert?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:12:48 AM »
I wish them happiness.......these two could have spawned a super athlete!

Anthony Butler

"Sweetheart, did you realise we've won 20 majors together?"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:34:04 AM »
Well, it's costing the happy couple collectively about $150 million, so I hope they're in love... I always thought Shark was bulls___ting when he said he would move back to Australia after his kids finished school.

He's definitely not going back now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:35:30 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »
Chris Evert-Connors-Lloyd-Mill-Norman.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom Renli

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 10:44:14 AM »
Why is Norman playing in South Africa and not his own Open Championship?  Especially given the state of the Austrailasian Tour.  If it is the obvious, money, I further question this guy.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:05:35 AM »

This isn't meant to be pedantic but Chrissie never married Jimmy Connors did she?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 11:11:49 AM »
From Wikipedia:

Evert's romance with the top men's player Jimmy Connors captured the public's imagination in the 1970s, particularly after they both claimed the singles titles at Wimbledon in 1974. Evert and Connors also occasionally played mixed doubles together. In 1974, they were runner-up at the U.S. Open. They became engaged, but the romance did not last. A wedding planned for November 8, 1974, was called off.

In the years that followed, Evert was romantically linked with several other high-profile men, including Burt Reynolds, Geraldo Rivera, Adam Faith, Vitas Gerulaitis, Pat Boone, and John Gardner “Jack” Ford, son of U.S. President Gerald Ford.

In 1979, Evert married the British tennis player John Lloyd and changed her name to "Chris Evert-Lloyd." This marriage ended in divorce in 1987.

In 1988, Evert married two-time Olympic downhill skier Andy Mill. They have three sons – Alexander James (born October 12, 1991), Nicholas Joseph (born June 8, 1994), and Colton Jack (born June 14, 1996). On November 13, 2006, Evert filed for divorce.[11] The divorce was finalized on December 4, 2006, with Evert paying Mill a settlement of U.S. $7 million in cash and securities.[12]

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
Tom Renli:

You're missing the bigger picture.  Norman is trying to expand his "brand" in South Africa.  Everybody in Australia has already made up their mind whether they love him or hate him, so there are no new sales to make there.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »

The girl prefers jocks.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 10:29:58 AM »
I wish them both well.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Pat Boone?! :o

Either on here or some other website there was a great account of Chris seducing Greg at a cocktail party with Greg's now-ex wife standing next to him.  That girl is good at a lot more things than tennis.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 11:04:35 AM »
I wonder of she still drinks Bovril?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Anthony Butler

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 11:11:20 AM »
Pat Boone?! :o

Either on here or some other website there was a great account of Chris seducing Greg at a cocktail party with Greg's now-ex wife standing next to him.  That girl is good at a lot more things than tennis.

Mills/Evert + the Normans were all best pals for a decade, living down in the West Palm Beach/Jupiter area. I must admit it was always noted amongst Australia pros that Norman's wife went from air hostess to housefrau in about 5 years. Never bounced back after having kids...Norman on the other hand still has the ass of a 12 year old boy based on what I saw from the South African Open. :)

BTW-adding onto Tom Doak's comments about Norman building the brand in SA, shouldn't he also be playing in Dubai and China as well since that's where all the new course money is coming from?  They're probably even starting to appreciate Shiraz over there too...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:12:23 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 12:04:44 PM »
This would be from the 2001 Chris Evert-Raymond James Celebrity Tennis Tournament. Oh look, it's the Normans posing with the Mills. I met the future ex-Mrs. Greg Norman once. Very nice lady. Born in New Jersey, educated at Becker Junior College in Leicester, Mass.

Mr Doak:

You've never been shy about marketing yourself. You might want to think about working your way into the celebrity circuit. It sure can't hurt.

Anthony
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:09:13 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 06:25:02 PM »
Chris always did have a great fore-hand.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 06:45:47 PM »
That's really too bad. I heard that Chrissy was a HUGE fan of Seth Raynor, she had the application to join the Society and everything...

Guess that's out now...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:50:04 PM by Bill Brightly »

JESII

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »
The commentators actually mentioned that Chrissy was opening a tennis center at the very resort the tournament was being played this weekend...is The Shark whipped?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 07:58:25 PM »
C'mon guys-is there a man amongst us who doesn't think Chrissie is looking pretty good for being 50 something these days.Lets get back to discussion of architecture we're starting to sound like The Enquirer!

Tom Zeni

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
Greg Noman is an architect. Chrissy, as you say, is well preserved architecture. I'd think we're right on topic!  ;)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
I'll take Andy Mill's end of the deal. He gets $7M in cash plus two houses (Florida & Aspen), keeps his GC memberships and still lives better than any other ex US Ski Team'er.

Andy's a scratch, reputably a very good Dad, and wonderful guy to spend 4 hours with on any course. I'm sure he won't be lacking for female attention either. It's usually better to be left out of the spotlight and definitely so in this case.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »
I'll take Andy Mill's end of the deal. He gets $7M in cash plus two houses (Florida & Aspen), keeps his GC memberships and still lives better than any other ex US Ski Team'er.

Andy's a scratch, reputably a very good Dad, and wonderful guy to spend 4 hours with on any course. I'm sure he won't be lacking for female attention either. It's usually better to be left out of the spotlight and definitely so in this case.

Not only that, Andy could have fallen (sic) for Claudine Longet........

Doug Wright

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »

I'm with you on this one Steve. I hope you're right that Andy is a good Dad--he'll need to be there for the boys while Chrissy jetsets to South Africa and other parts of the world with Sharky.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »
Nice to see Norman pick a real person rather than some georgeous bimbo trophy wife
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Zeni

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »
Just consider the fact that Jessica Simpson was his honey and as she followed his round, she wore a pink Norman jersey.

Romo may never live that one down.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »
Nice to see Norman pick a real person rather than some georgeous bimbo trophy wife

But didn't Andy get custody of the kids -- while Chris jetsets around the world with Norman?  

Sounds like he just divorced a real person, and traded her in for a trophy wife (though trophy of a different type).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back