News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Are there any genres of golf courses yet...
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:50:09 PM »
to be built?  Let's see...there is Links Golf, Parkland golf, Mountain golf, Desert golf.  Is marsh golf different, oasis golf?  What are the accepted genres of golf course and are there any more left?  Does anyone out there have not only original hole/course designs left, but a whole new Genre of golf course that noone has built?  Just interested what you all might think.

Bart

Matthew Hunt

Re:Are there any genres of golf courses yet...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:03:24 PM »
Sand based Mountain golf?(Amazing potential)
Beach golf?
Fjord Golf?
Natural forest courses?

There isn't I day goes past that a don't think and draw a unique(as far as I’m aware) hole, one just needs to think out side the small box that golf course design is generally in.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:19:07 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 03:03:33 PM »
How about quirkland golf? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »

Where do you find quirkland and how would I know when I was playing a quirkland golf course?

Bart

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
The Golf Corpse is getting alot of buzz of late.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:09:30 PM »
The Golf Corpse is getting alot of buzz of late.

John, I am not sure I'd be caught dead on a golf corpse ;)

Bart

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »

Where do you find quirkland and how would I know when I was playing a quirkland golf course?

Bart

You find it near Astoria, OR. If the course was built to the existing land, and there ended up to be multiple quirky holes because of it, you would recognize it.

Tommy Nac certainly recognized it when he played there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »
There isn't I day goes past that a don't think and draw a unique(as far as I’m aware) hole, one just needs to fink out side the small box that golf course design is generally in.

Matthew, as ~15 years old young man that you are, with all your enthusiasm, I don't doubt for a minute you will be the next Tomm Doack, or perhaps the derrangement and deconstruction of editor Dan Kelly.  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 03:18:20 PM »

Here is a potential site:

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »

Wow.. outstanding...when does construction begin?

Sign me up...

Bart

Gary Slatter

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »
Quarry golf.  I have had a dream several times about doing a golf course in a quarry in Burlington, Canada that would almost be weather-proof, not quite domed but almost.  Could it be done?

It costs them to make it look better when they finish mining, why not do it as a golf course?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »
Gary,

Quarry golf has been done a few times already.  Can't think of the names of the courses off the top of my head but I'm thinking one was done in Texas and another in Florida.

As far as a new genre of golf course, there is winter golf played on snow/ice.  Balls will have to be larger so they don't bury in the snow and obviosuly a different color.  They already do a tourney like this up in Northern Europe if memory serves me right.  They talked about it in the book Extreme Golf.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
Quarry golf.  I have had a dream several times about doing a golf course in a quarry in Burlington, Canada that would almost be weather-proof, not quite domed but almost.  Could it be done?

It costs them to make it look better when they finish mining, why not do it as a golf course?

Gary:

I have played a few courses that were built partially in old quarries... Rock Hollow in Peru, In is quite good and the holes in The Quarry in San Antonio that are actually in the old quarry are interesting.

Bart

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »

Thats cool!

What I was thinking of is more like:

This type of land is found in the outlying areas of GB+I Mountain ranges. The best I have seen is at 'Windy Gap' in the Mournes.

RJ, when I type fast I automatically do it via phonics, I usually look over my posts but forgot. Thanks for the complement ;), on that point Tom’s Ballyneal display the rarity of a ‘big’ course including outside the box features.

This would be a good topic for a Blog-Series.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:38:09 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 05:59:40 PM »

Actually looks like great quirkland to me.

Dan King

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
I know I've had the impression I've played a course just like this one:

But that might have more to do with slow play.

Here is a sweet looking hazard:

The coolest part of the Dali genre might be the tee markers:

Cheers,
Grandan
It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is always the first handicap to any creative functioning.
 --Salvador Dali

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 08:15:51 PM »
Matthew:

We did try out beach golf a couple of times when we were building Barnbougle ... I went a few holes with Mike Keiser and Richard Sattler's son down on the beach, playing toward little areas of beach grass as our targets.  It was great fun, and that beach is so remote that it was possible to do it without getting in anybody's way.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 08:19:49 PM »
Perhaps on moons and other planets some day?...

Maybe artificial turf/indoor courses?

Maybe an entirely floating 18 hole course (a 2nd track at Coeur D' Alene)?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sean Walsh

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:20:47 PM »
Tom,

I thought Beach golf was the accepted way to play the 18th at Barnbougle.  I made Par from over there  ;D

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 09:49:44 PM »
I know I've had the impression I've played a course just like this one:

Well I suppose a course built amongst that scene would lend new meaning to the phrase, "slow play," no?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 12:00:36 PM »
Matthew:

We did try out beach golf a couple of times when we were building Barnbougle ... I went a few holes with Mike Keiser and Richard Sattler's son down on the beach, playing toward little areas of beach grass as our targets.  It was great fun, and that beach is so remote that it was possible to do it without getting in anybody's way.

Cool Tom, similarly during the summer my friends and I play on the beach at Newcastle alongside RCD. Trying to hit 5-Iron to a small ‘green’ surrounded by stones and rock pools with  a few crabs thrown in is a par 3, even better if you go along to Murlough there are Islands in the sea that are good craic to hit to . Trust me DON’T try to hit a wedge out of the sea! ;D

I think it would be a good add-on for a resort to have 9-hole laid out each day by a green keeper if tides are suitable. In would be fun and would be profitable due to a favorable income/costs ratio.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »
This was alluded to in another thread, but it would be really cool if night vision goggles could be designed in such a way to be lightweight and functional on the golf course.  How great would it be to have a 9 PM tee time without traveling to Alaska or Sweden to do so.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »
This was alluded to in another thread, but it would be really cool if night vision goggles could be designed in such a way to be lightweight and functional on the golf course.  How great would it be to have a 9 PM tee time without traveling to Alaska or Sweden to do so.

Or Ireland, I got 16 holes in starting at 8.45 one!

There are lots of clubs that now have monthly night golf.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
Gary,

Quarry golf has been done a few times already.  Can't think of the names of the courses off the top of my head but I'm thinking one was done in Texas and another in Florida.

As far as a new genre of golf course, there is winter golf played on snow/ice.  Balls will have to be larger so they don't bury in the snow and obviosuly a different color.  They already do a tourney like this up in Northern Europe if memory serves me right.  They talked about it in the book Extreme Golf.
Thanks Kalen, I've played courses that play through quarries but what I meant was completely inside the quarry.  The one in Burlington looks to be 150 feet deep or more, you could maintain a different climate in there.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »

Thanks Kalen, I've played courses that play through quarries but what I meant was completely inside the quarry.  The one in Burlington looks to be 150 feet deep or more, you could maintain a different climate in there.

Chambers Bay is completely within a sand/gravel mine/quarry. Even though it is next to residential property, you are isolated from that property by being well below the normal grade. When it was compared to Bandon for scenic values, those that had not been there mistakenly discounted the comparison, because they did not know of the isolation the place creates.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back