News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Re:Tustin Ranch
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for the kind words about my health and prosperity. It has been awhile since I've posted.

Being here in ah, sheep country, which would be more to the eastern Amish side of the state, and not Pittsburgh, unless we travel, we don't get to play in the surrounds that you're accustom to, and obviously, by now, don't find attactive to your senses. I know there are courses here to which I feel the same way. One is a course that used to hold a PGA senior event.  Hitting hillside to hillside is more like skeet shooting, than golf, and even when invited, I won't play it for free.

I played Tustin Ranch in '03, and again in '06. Not having those SoCal surroundings, it's currently 28* here, and the closest thing I have to an orange grove surrounding is spilling juice on the breakfast counter,  I enjoyed the rounds I played there. I had great company. We had grand times there, and on the last trip, if it wasn't so crowded, we were going to continue for 36 holes.  However, the wait was going to be an hour or more.

As to the rates, I can't attest to what you folks are paying for a round of golf. Mindboggling. But then again, so is SoCal in general.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »
Jim,
I myself haven't been to Pelican yet to see the changes. I know Jon has, and I think also Robert Ball. I have a friend who plays out there every weekend and the most I have heard about changes are that around the greens, there seem to be more collection areas/chipping areas for improved drainage--which I think if it's overdone, would be ashame because there was some pretty good interest around the greens at Pelican. Much more then one would customarily see at Fazio courses in and around California.

Tom,
Actually we do have some very good affordable golf here in SoCal, mostly in Los Angeles County. Long Beach Recreation Park Chester Washington, Brookside, Santa Anita Mountain Meadows are all courses of a Golden Age variety that are both affordable and fun. We also have a lot of LA County Courses that aren't so bad either; mostly all of them around $19.00-21.00 a round (walking) during the week. It isn't all that bad. Especially if one goes out and checks out a Los Verdes which maybe the best value given the landscape.

Orange County is different. There is only one, maybe three alternatives: Meadowlark--a fun and challenging but very poorly maintained course in Huntington Beach; Costa Mesa's 36 holes which are pretty good, and the course which will be a tragic loss if things go as usually---Willowick, which is in the crosshairs of developers. It's an old Billy Bell design that's been there since 1922. I think they get like $23.00 to play it.

Anyone game for a round tomorrow? It's supposed to be pretty nice.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
We're currently under a "snow weather advisory." They're advising us that it's snowing. Like I couldn't see that through my windshield wipers as I drove home from the mall.

We're suppose to get hammered with snow today and into the evening, so I doubt I can make your foursome tomorrow. $23 ? Wow, that's a steal in SoCal.

The only other courses I've played in SoCal are Hidden Valley which is south of Yorba Linda, and Woodland Hills CC north of LA. I really enjoyed both. Grand vistas at Hidden Valley, and while Woodland Hills was fun, there's a learning curve that can't be surmounted in one visit.

Then again, being in Western PA, I like all things California. Okay, maybe not your wildfires, but otoh, you don't need a snowblower.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
Tom,
Hidden Valley is both interesting and bizarre in a few places. Still, nothing to say it isn't worth it. It was originally $85.00 a round out there. Now I think they have got it down to like under $40.00 and it for the most part, its still a ghost town.

Casey O'Callaghan did as good as any one could with that property. (O.K. That's a stretch I know, but I like Casey. He's a pretty good guy, even though he designed the Ranch! A Huckaby Gem) There are some interesting holes.

Next time try Goose Creek which is just North of Hidden Valley, which is actually East of Yorba Linda. You will not be disappointed.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »
I think Oak Quarry looks like my kind of course -- I recall it has garnered a lot of favorable responses from the tree house.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »
You could do a lot worse.

With that, I'm off of this computer and of to do something constructive!

David Stamm

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 07:25:08 PM »
Tommy, shame on you for forgetting to mention San Clemente! ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »
David, San Clemente is the Lehigh CC of Southern California.

With all respects to Lehigh--which is a private course--they'reboth more then a Rodney Dangerfield award really. My apologies to the San Clemente contingent. You've obviously have been overlooked again!

Tom Zeni

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »
Hidden Valley did have a few quirky holes. The dog-right that goes around the pond is one of them. An uphill dog going across a raven was another. And the downhill par 5 with the dogleg was certainly inventive.

I shot 37 on the front. Then, Santa Anna winds, with blowtorch heat and velocity came up on the back nine, my partner and I withered with my 47,and his 57.

Of course, I was more concerned about the signs that read "rattlesnakes." And upon exiting my friend's Honda Pilot, I found there was a coyote starring at me.  I'm used to squirrels, chipmunks, and Canadian Geese, but the coyote, roadrunners, and rattlesnakes did make a lasting impression.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:44:30 PM by Tom Zeni »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back