News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

If All Knowledge of Golf Were Lost
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:12:53 AM »
If all knowledge of golf were lost in a cataclysm, what single piece of golf information would best preserve golf for next generations?  

How would the best understanding of golf be passed on?

If just a little imagination and thinking were to be applied, what kernel of knowledge would provide the most information to recreate golf?

Philip Spogard

Re:If All Knowledge of Golf Were Lost
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:34:15 AM »
A topographical survey of the Old Course, St. Andrews?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:41:48 AM »
Isn't there a scene in The Omega Man, where Charlton Heston thinks he's the last man alive, that gives us a clue?

He finds some clubs and balls and...  he hits them.
Let's make GCA grate again!

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:12 AM »
Isn't there a scene in The Omega Man, where Charlton Heston thinks he's the last man alive, that gives us a clue?

One piece of info, Tony.  I think that qualifies as several.

(That adaptation of the original book, I Am Legend, was pretty bad.)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:31:14 AM »
JM
My guess is that you wouldn't need any information at all.

The roots of the game go deep, or should I say spring up from a deep place in the human mind/spirit.  You can cut off the flower of the game as it exists now and erase all memory and trace of it, but the roots would remain wholly intact, lying dormant underground for a winter until the time and place was right; and sure enough within a generation or so the game would spring up again of its own accord, and at first (and at least for a short while) would prove to be much the same game that Old Tom Morris played in his youth, on much the same fields of play.

After its rebirth, however, and given the nature of our modern times, I'd imagine that the evolution of the game and its courses would fit into less than a decade what had previously taken a century.

Peter
(trying to do my best Chance the Gardner)    

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »
I don't know if it is the single best piece of information that would resurrect golf from the ashes, but Tom Doak's The Anatomy of a Golf Course would more than suffice.  That is if the cataclysm took place at less than 451* Fahrenheit  ;)

Gary Daughters

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »

A DVD of Jack Nicklaus's 1986 Masters win.
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:10 AM »

One piece of info, Tony.  I think that qualifies as several.

(That adaptation of the original book, I Am Legend, was pretty bad.)

As bad as the current adaptation with Will Smith?  Haven't seen it but I am dubious.  :(

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »

The hole moves.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:09:37 AM »
Peter
(trying to do my best Chance the Gardner)    

And it was pretty good, too -- almost as good as the original:

President "Bobby": Mr. Gardner, do you agree with Ben, or do
you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?

[Long pause]

Chance the Gardener: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

President "Bobby": In the garden.

Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

President "Bobby": Spring and summer.

Chance the Gardener: Yes.

President "Bobby": Then fall and winter.

Chance the Gardener: Yes.

Benjamin Rand: I think what our insightful young friend is saying is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, but we're upset by the seasons of our economy.

Chance the Gardener: Yes! There will be growth in the spring!

Benjamin Rand: Hmm!

Chance the Gardener: Hmm!

President "Bobby": Hm. Well, Mr. Gardner, I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I've heard in a very, very long time.

[Benjamin Rand applauds]

President "Bobby": I admire your good, solid sense. That's precisely what we lack on Capitol Hill.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks, Dan - what a piece of work that is, huh? One of those very rare occasions when it seems literally true that an actor was born to fulfill a role.

Neat too the many levels at work there - for, after all, Chance the Gardner was *right* about the economy.

I think I might be right too about the roots of the game, and if I've only stumbled onto that truth by repeating, Chauncy-like, the one thing I know, that's okay.

Peter  

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:15:39 PM »
James, you must be among those apes that believe these humans were once able to speak...

JMorgan

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 01:18:53 PM »
James, you must be among those apes that believe these humans were once able to speak...

Cue the music. ;D

JMorgan

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 10:00:24 PM »
The idea for this thread came from one of those physics thought probes, where one is forced to break all knowledge down to the essentials and build theory from that point.  In physics, the concept of the atom is usually the agreed upon point of communication.  

What about golf?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
I would suggest the DVD set of "Bobby Jones How I Play Golf."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 10:37:16 PM »
I think I'd just add to Phillip Spogard's idea that a routing map of any five disparate courses would certainly provide enough suggestive information to future generations to get the ball rolling, so to speak.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:37:48 PM by MPCirba »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 10:47:34 PM »
I'd suggest a DVD player with a copy of "2001: A Space Odyssey" in the slot.  All you need to know about golf is in that video image of the pre-humanoid swinging that mastodon bone around his body core, even if his swing plane was a bit flat.....

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:48:23 PM »
AM's drawing of TOC and the rules of golf, with emphasis on ENFORCING them before the manufacturers run amuck again. 8)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back