News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:The New GCA: Some Suggestions
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »
Obviously you've kept Dr Childs so busy with all this marital disharmony stuff - except for the uncoming tournament defense - that he's eased up on me about my Luddite ways re: the Sky Caddy.  ;D

dsilk

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:27 PM »
this banter is rapidly becoming sick, malicious and chock full of vitriol- in other words, right at my level.....
I disagree with Tony getting rid of the earring, all we need is a cop and a construction worker and we will have GCA's version of the village people.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Silky:

We're called The Village Idiots. I have the other guys lined up.

Thanks for defending me.

Anthony

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
Having actual, practicing GCAs on this board is what makes it special. Not many football fans get to pick the brains of Peyton Manning. :D

In order to ensure that we aren't inundating these gentleman with an excess of questions and comments, I think we should give each participating GCA his own Q & A thread where he can choose which inquiries he will respond to and the rest of us can see what’s already been asked.

For instance: Mr(s). Doak, Richardson, Nuzzo, Johnston, Moran, Engh, …etc. could each have a message board with separate, ongoing threads about each of his completed projects for gca.com members to reference.

The inter-member chat and general topics (and OTs) would remain on a message board similar to what already exists.

Thoughts?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

RJ_Daley

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2007, 10:08:37 PM »
Now I'm getting the picture why Tony kept asking me if I can still fit in my old uniform, and if I knew the bass riffs to YMCA.  I thought he might be loosing it... it turns out he had a plan.  I think the head dress and buck skins will really fit the Dr.s sartorial senses well, and Silky can sub for the construction guy, in his breezers... Noel, you can get us the bookings to all the most metro-fashionable Conneticutt clubs, I'm sure...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 12:40:52 AM »
This is not right. How did such a enlightening thread as this suddenly go down the storm drain? It's Dr. Childs' fault.

Anthony

dsilk

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »
capital idea RJ- maybe there's a Young Men's Christian Athletic club that we can work out at....

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2007, 10:50:25 AM »
I'm adding another topic after the recent post on Royal Melbourne West, or RMW.

TCY: It stand for, Too Cool for You. This is for all the people who want to flaunt how "in" they are by using acronyms instead of the name of the course on first reference, such at TOC for The Old Course. Acronyms in the Subject thread are even better because most people don't know what the letters stand for and invariably click on the thread - generating views - to see what the letters stand for. Unfortunately, the acronyms also serve to further the Tree House mindset of keeping the unenlightened down. Other than Elvis and TCB (Taking Care of Business), there’s no reason to use acronyms, but for those that do on this site I have one for you: GFY.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
Tony,

Does this mean you get to GFY because you used the acronym GCA 5 times in your opening statement on this thread?  And CD once just for good measure?  ;D  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2007, 06:16:52 PM »
"Anthony,
Boy, you got me good. I mistook it for a rant.....I don't usually miss humorous posts, but this one went right over my head. Especially the one about kids.....that's a doozy!(now that I get it, of course!)"

JoeH;

You're losing it pal. Go with your first instincts! It was a rant!

There's no purpose served in categorizing the inmates of this looney bin. Do that and it just gets boring. It's much better to have them all running around aimlessly posting and contributing together. It's kind of like trying to herd 1500 cats. It takes serious balls and a tough hombre to be the catherder too. Some of you guys who've seen Ran Morrissett may think he looks good but if you look closely you can't miss the fact that he should wear at least one eye-patch and if you've ever seen him stripped down to his skivvies you'll be shocked at the approximately 1000 stitches he has all over his body.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:22:46 PM by TEPaul »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2007, 10:11:41 PM »
Kalen:

I don't need you pointing out to the entire Golf Club Atlas Universe when I contradict myself. What, may I ask, is the point other than knocking me off my high horse?

I'm GFM, if you need me.

Anthony

Joe Hancock

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
"Anthony,
Boy, you got me good. I mistook it for a rant.....I don't usually miss humorous posts, but this one went right over my head. Especially the one about kids.....that's a doozy!(now that I get it, of course!)"

JoeH;

You're losing it pal. Go with your first instincts! It was a rant!

There's no purpose served in categorizing the inmates of this looney bin. Do that and it just gets boring. It's much better to have them all running around aimlessly posting and contributing together. It's kind of like trying to herd 1500 cats. It takes serious balls and a tough hombre to be the catherder too. Some of you guys who've seen Ran Morrissett may think he looks good but if you look closely you can't miss the fact that he should wear at least one eye-patch and if you've ever seen him stripped down to his skivvies you'll be shocked at the approximately 1000 stitches he has all over his body.

I pussied out, actually....being polite vs. going with my intuition..... ;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RJ_Daley

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »
While you guys are cavorting about, exploring your inner selves...  This recent welcoming of Jim Engh and a mention of a round table got me thinking of a suggestion that didn't involve myself!  ::) :-X

We seem to be getting to a very nice group of architect participants.  Even though guys like Clyde Johnston and Kelly Blake Moran and a number of others aren't exactly 'regular' posters, I suspect they are regular lurkers.

What if we did have a "round table" button where ONLY GCAs (golf course archies - Tony) had one month to respond to about 3-5 strictly golf course design and construction questions, posed by ONLY someone that has actually written a credible golf book or credible blog that deals with architecture in the main?  For those like Ian who walks both sides of the fence of credible blog and archie, he can stay within the theme of doing it to himself and ask himself questions... ;) ;D 8)

But seriously, in order to actually qualify to post responses to the "questions of the month" you have to have actually had to design and or constructed in a golf course project (new construction or remodel/restored) in a significant way.  Not just ridden on a dozer while visiting a golf project, nor just designed holes on paper as a hobbiest or 'consultant' who has not actually put their design ideas in the dirt!  With a month timeline or life of the thread to answer, the busy archie's schedules would be accomodated.

I think that would get down to serious questions, with serious answers, yet highlight design/construction differences in philosophies and techniques between the various practicing designers.  Maybe even they would learn a thing or two from a colleague of an idea they hadn't previously considered.

I suspect that sort of inter-colleague discussion goes on at ASGCA's forums and dinners.  But, let's face it folks, most of us GCA.com'ers don't get invited to those events, or archipaloozas...  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
Kalen:

I don't need you pointing out to the entire Golf Club Atlas Universe when I contradict myself. What, may I ask, is the point other than knocking me off my high horse?

I'm GFM, if you need me.

Anthony

Anthony,

The point of my post, was the same as your point of this thread...man bonding as JK puts it and nothing much of actual substance!!   ;D

My wife is going to get me a new piece for christmas.  This means I officially accept your invite to go play the GlenEagles 9 holer in san fran now!!  8)

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
Kalen

A new piece of what?

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2007, 09:34:18 PM »
Kalen

A new piece of what?

Anthony

Wikipedia explains it best in their slang section:

(slang, US) A gun.
He's packin' a piece!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back