News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

I Need Some Help - Again
« on: December 05, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »
Does anybody know of any good courses within an hour south of Newcastle?  Not terribly expensive and a decent drainer would be the other important criteria.  Cheers!

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tom Huckaby

Re:I Need Some Help - Again
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
Heading to the big game tonight, Sean?  You only have a few hours to make kickoff....

;D

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »
Sean, what about the Mackenzie links at Seaton Carew?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:24:42 AM »
Does anybody know of any good courses within an hour south of Newcastle?  Not terribly expensive and a decent drainer would be the other important criteria.  Cheers!

Ciao

If you want to be South of Newcastle then you're choosing between Seaton Carew and Brancepeth.  I guess Seaton's the better drainer.  In Newcastle itself the best course is the Northumberland.  Tyneside isn't far off the A1 and is level with Newcastle.

When are you coming up?  Would be good to meet for a beer/coffee/round depending on timing and availability.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:54 AM »
Seaton Carew and Brancepeth Castle are the only courses of any reputation that I know of. I haven't played either but my brother played for Durham Uni at Brancepeth and was a big fan.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:01 AM »
For some reason I was thinking that Hartlepool is more than an hour south of Newcastle.  Is this not the case?

Ciao

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »
 Silly me !! I thought "decent drainer" was English for a good pub.
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »
Silly me !! I thought "decent drainer" was English for a good pub.

Mayday Mick

That could very well be, but don't forget, I'm a furiner in these here parts.

Ciao

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »
 I know that Sean , but the furriners always try to impress by using the local lingo.
AKA Mayday

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
For some reason I was thinking that Hartlepool is more than an hour south of Newcastle.  Is this not the case?

Ciao

No.  I reckon on taking 45/50 minutes from Gosforth (Northern Newcastle to Seaton.  I can get to Wilton (South of 'boro) in an hour.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andy Levett

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 03:52:58 AM »
Sean, Mark's right - well under an hour to Seaton Carew. It drains very well and the TOC-style mats have been scrapped this winter to generate more visitor income. Let me know when you're thinking of coming.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 01:00:34 PM »
If the chance of Northumberland turns up grab it - I loved it. Seaton Carew is a good course, whichever combination of holes you play. I think you would enjoy Brancepeth Castle a lot. There are two or three excellent holes at Hartlepool itself, but there are some ordinary ones as well. It drains well and is usually quite fun in winter, EXCEPT that you get to play some silly tees. Cleveland at Redcar is worth a shout after you've finished the others. I rather like Hexham, too, especailly as it gives you the opportunity to smash a few greenhouses on the 18th.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back