News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Gayne

Re:Uphill par threes
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 05:32:39 PM »
The 7th hole at Carne is a severe uphill par three. It's named "grandstand' because spectators would look down from where the green is located to a racetrack.

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 05:40:23 PM »
Would the 3rd and 5th at Pasatiempo be good examples of quality uphill Par 3s? The green surface itself is largely blind on 3, but I dont think that takes from the hole in any way.

I certainly like those two a lot, and had thought of them.

Another course with two excellent uphill par 3s is Sand Hills Gof Club, #13 and #17.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 06:09:17 PM »
What about the par threes at Prarie Dunes?

I know they are all uphill, but dont really know much about the quality of them, being that I have never played there.

What about CPC #7?
How far upill is that hole?

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 06:25:59 PM »
#11 at Hidden Creek is the template I would guide you to.  French Creek also had a nice one as well.

Norwich in CT had a wacky one (#13).  Probably the shortest, steepest I have ever seen.

http://www.norwichgolf.com/coursephotos.htm

It's just above the lower left hand corner.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:31:14 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »
9th at Crystal Downs.  End of a great front 9.

Charles Garland

#9 at Crystal Downs
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
I wonder what you guys think of the uphill par three 9th at Crystal Downs. The story was that Mr. Maxwell came up with that hole. It seems steeper than the formula mentioned, but works really well in my view. You can check it before going down number 1, and somehow it is easy to figure out where the pin is from the tee.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 11:01:30 PM »

Ian Andrew,

I agree with you regarding the 9th at Capilano. You pic is great but does not get across the elevation change. It is very much uphill. I have always been so happy to get up there over those bunkers on the right and right front that I did not give a damn where I ended up on the green. Then I got up there and saw the green!

I get to play there once in a while courtesy of friends and it is always a treat. You are so correct that the 9th is a great uphill par 3.

Another that comes to mind is the eighth on the Redtail nine of Predator Ridge. About 200 yards uphill from the back with a long and narrow green. When Jordan finally gives me the straight goods on how to post photos, I will get one up there.

Bob Jenkins

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 01:26:39 AM »
What about the par threes at Prarie Dunes?

I know they are all uphill, but dont really know much about the quality of them, being that I have never played there.

What about CPC #7?
How far upill is that hole?

Jordan,

I'd guess at about 15-20 feet because of the elevated tee box.

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 03:10:46 AM »
In general I agree that par 3s and even par 4s & 5s ideally shouldn't be too uphill.  However, what is more important is that if a hole is gonna be a bit harshly uphill make it interesting and perhaps unique.  I think back to a hole like Crow's Nest at Shiskine very fondly.  I am taking a guess here and saying that the hole rises about 40-50 feet in 140 yards.  There is no doubt that the hole is a bad one, but I forgive the harshness because it is so unique and it absolutely works at Shiskine.  

http://www.shiskinegolf.com/course_plan/course_plan.htm

I also really like uphill enough par 3s which don't allow a view of the green if I can bounce & bank the ball up to the target.  I generally do not like sharply uphill 3s which require a straight up and down aerial shot.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:16:02 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 05:37:30 AM »
This one breaks all the rules above and as a result is memorable.  Steep climb on a 135yard hole to a blind green with two tiers.  Either side is very severe (and it would be improved if the bank on the right had some gorse removed).  It may be hit and hope but it’s certainly fun.
Sandown and Shanklin. IOW.   Designed James Braid.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »
What are some good examples of uphill par threes?

What are some good examples of par threes that go way uphill?

Three examples of possibly the best P3's in Australia - and interestingly all uphill:
#15 at Kingston Heath
#5 at RMW
#11 at Yarra Yarra

and from GB&I # 4 Sunningdale Old - the devlish 5th at Saunton East for starters

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »
In general I agree that par 3s and even par 4s & 5s ideally shouldn't be too uphill.  However, what is more important is that if a hole is gonna be a bit harshly uphill make it interesting and perhaps unique.  I think back to a hole like Crow's Nest at Shiskine very fondly.  I am taking a guess here and saying that the hole rises about 40-50 feet in 140 yards.  There is no doubt that the hole is a bad one, but I forgive the harshness because it is so unique and it absolutely works at Shiskine.  

http://www.shiskinegolf.com/course_plan/course_plan.htm

I also really like uphill enough par 3s which don't allow a view of the green if I can bounce & bank the ball up to the target.  I generally do not like sharply uphill 3s which require a straight up and down aerial shot.  

Ciao

Sean
Crow's Nest is certainly severe (particularly if the wind is blowing) but as you say it fits perfectly with the rest of the holes at Shiskine.

The marker post showing the line to the centre of the green is just visible on the hillside.

From behind the green, which has a substantial slope from right to left as you approach it.

The club's website, to which you provided a link, states the rise to the green is 25 feet, which is a lot on a hole measuring no more than 125 yards.  It looked more when I played it and it still does looking at those photographs!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

mike_malone

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 11:16:50 AM »
 I get spoiled by two wonderful uphill long par threes within five holes of each other---#10 and #14 at Rolling Green. I think the fact that you can see the green is critical to the charm and playability of these holes. So, I think the uphill should not be too severe.

BTW is there a better pair of long uphill par threes within one nine hole stretch than these two?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:19:08 AM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jim Franklin

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 11:55:42 AM »
No. 9 at Baltimore Country Club is a great uphill par 3. Reminds me of Crystal Downs but a little longer.

I never considered #7 (CPC) to be an uphill shot.
Mr Hurricane

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »
No. 9 at Baltimore Country Club is a great uphill par 3. Reminds me of Crystal Downs but a little longer.

I never considered #7 (CPC) to be an uphill shot.

Jim - me either re #7 CPC.  I guess it is slighly uphill... but to me not enough to merit an extra club.  One does have to make sure to get it all the way on the green, as short shots will not bounce up.  But other than that, I too wouldn't list this with great "uphill" par threes.  Maybe we should?

Jason Topp

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »
The 11th at Veenker in Ames Iowa is (I believe) a Maxwell hole that could use tree removal and probably some green size restoration, But I have always enjoyed the hole.  

It is 155 yards, straight uphill, short right is likely in the river, short left leaves a stright uphill pitch and long leaves a very delicate putt.

I'm guessing it is 40 feet up.

From the tee

From behind the green

Veenker is an interesting course because about 1/2 of the holes are Maxwell originals and 1/2 are from the 50's and 60's.  If one ever wants to see the vast difference between "dark ages" architecture and golden age (albeit poorly preserved) this course is an excellent place to see it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 04:10:49 PM »
I get spoiled by two wonderful uphill long par threes within five holes of each other---#10 and #14 at Rolling Green. I think the fact that you can see the green is critical to the charm and playability of these holes. So, I think the uphill should not be too severe.

BTW is there a better pair of long uphill par threes within one nine hole stretch than these two?

Mayday:  not that I can think of.  Those are two fine holes.

What perhaps is obvious to everybody else but this hadn't really occurred to me until recently:  the more uphill a par 3 is the longer it should be, within reason?  Is this true?  

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:26:45 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
 For me it is a question of blindness. My preference is for blind and short. You guess the distance with a short club. Wow!  ;D There's a hole at Hidden Creek that I like--it's their short uphill blind hole. Visible and long as a general rule works for me. However, I love #7 at Glen Mills which is multilayered and long and blind. It has a hill that kicks shots right onto the green though. I think you don't like this hole Joe. Is that right?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:22:07 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 04:31:23 PM »
However, I love #7 at Glen Mills which is multilayered and long and blind. It has a hill that kicks shots right onto the green though. I think you don't like this hole Joe. Is that right?

Mike, I'm not a fan of that green.  I wish I could put my finger on the reason, but I guess to me it is sort of contrived.  It reminded me of a playground slide.  It has, what, 4 different levels?  And is about 40 yards deep?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:47:25 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

mike_malone

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 04:40:22 PM »
 It has 4 levels indeed. I think this is an essential element  to make this blind uphill hole fun. You don't know what level you will end up on, BUT you are putting!!!!
AKA Mayday

David Federman

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
I happen to like #7 at Glen Mills as well, although it's an easy 4 putt from the front to the third or fourth tier pin position. It was described to me as the burial ground of an elephant!

Other uphill par 3's around are #7 at Bulle Rock; #6 at Ace; and the last par 3 at Phily Cricket is really tough - about 200 yds; OB along the right of the green; with steep drop off to the left. Not as dramatically uphill or blind, but a full club uphill, especially from the lower teeing area.

wsmorrison

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »
I think a 200 yard hole with a green that is 10 feet above the tee is barely an uphill hole at a 1.67% grade.  So while the 14th at Rolling Green is a fabulous par 3, it is hardly uphill.  It is even less so from the new back tee which is about 8 feet above the former back tee and is about 230 yards in length.  So from the new tee, the hole is only about 2 feet uphill or less than a .3% grade.

In the Philadelphia district, the best truly uphill par 3 is the 15th at Philadelphia Country Club.  At 200 yards, it is approximately 50 feet uphill.  It may be the least aced hole in the district.  Another excellent uphill par 3, especially after the recent restoration is the 6th at Manufacturers GCC.

Pocantico Hills has a really fine uphill par 3 9th hole as does the 1st at the Addington, certainly an unusual beginning.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:14:11 PM by Wayne Morrison »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
When I think of uphill par threes, the first hole that comes to mind is the third at Wolf Creek in Mesquite Nevada. It's about 175 yards from the regular tees and is at least two clubs uphill.  Wouldn't want to play it every day, but it's also the easier of the two par threes on the front.

Here's the most fun uphill par 3 I've played recently.  The 17th at Long Shadow. Just about one club uphill to a HUGE punchbowl green.

mark chalfant

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 06:56:20 PM »
Ive always enjoyed  11th  at Fenway  190 y  up about 25 feet.  The green is  wild and wooly !

The 101 yd   7th  @ Rouge Park in Michigan is  30 feet  uphill  to a small green...fun !

mike_malone

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »
 I'm sorry, Wayne ; I guess it's downhill then.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 07:10:22 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back