News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Hissey

Re:NGLA's other new view
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2007, 12:59:46 AM »

Part of the Environmental Impact Statement was a traffic study. It was determined that a private golf course had by far the least impact on the road use of the area than any other proposal.

Mark,

I find the need for a road use study mind boggling since left turns off of Rt 27 East are generally prohibited.

That road was primarily used for a short cut when Rt 27 got backed up, east or west bound.

The town also blocked egress and access at the eastern end where Sebonac Road reconnects with Rt 27, so I don't understand the NEED for a road use study.

The only people using the road are residents of the area, delivery and trades people and shortcut takers, and once the shortcutters were cutoff, who uses the road ?
[/color]

Pat. I know, it's incredible isn't it? We had to complete a study based on the possibility of building 65 estate homes on the property and what it would do to the average road traffic.

It actually helped support our claim that a golf course was the best thing for everybody concerned.

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2007, 06:08:03 AM »
"Mark,
I find the need for a road use study mind boggling since left turns off of Rt 27 East are generally prohibited."

Patrick, you airhead, what the hell are you talking about? Is that why you drive down to Maidstone to turn around to get to NGLA?

Brad Klein

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »
Inspired by the John Updike story about the swimmer who swims through Westchester backyards . . .

Why not have a 72-hole shotgun fund raiser on summer solstice. Everyone lines up on Southampton, Shinnecock, NGLA and Sebonack., One foursome per hole. Play away all day, never take off your shoes, eat as you go, start at 7 a.m. I couldn't aford to pay for the privilege of playing in such a fundraiser but after caddying in that I'd be much wealthier -- if not dead.

Four courses, side by side, you just keep going crossing (i.e. Shinnecok 2 to NGLA 10, NGLA 18 to Sebonack 1) up at 9:30 p.m. Imagine how much you'd raise for charity?

Mark, what do you think?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:58:15 AM by Brad Klein »

Mark Hissey

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2007, 10:16:48 AM »
The thought had occurred to me a while back...

It really would be a great idea wouldn't it Brad? On the longest day of the year?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »
Did someone complain about the second hole?

I think it looks terrific.  

Who says your second shot has to be on the green to make par?  

I would think if the hole was cut up front left that missing short right would be ideal, even having to play over that bump, and if the hole is cut back right, short left looks to be a really smart play.

It's sort of like the 7th at Friar's Head when the hole is cut over on the front left side.  In that case, missing the green just left is the perfect play.

SPDB

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
I like Brad's idea. Potential routing, arbitrariliy starting at NGLA:

NGLA #1-9
SHGC #3-12
SthHGC #7-6
SHGC#13-2
NGLA #10-18
Sebonack #1-18

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »
Inspired by the John Updike story about the swimmer who swims through Westchester backyards . . .

Why not have a 72-hole shotgun fund raiser on summer solstice. Everyone lines up on Southampton, Shinnecock, NGLA and Sebonack., One foursome per hole. Play away all day, never take off your shoes, eat as you go, start at 7 a.m. I couldn't aford to pay for the privilege of playing in such a fundraiser but after caddying in that I'd be much wealthier -- if not dead.

Four courses, side by side, you just keep going crossing (i.e. Shinnecok 2 to NGLA 10, NGLA 18 to Sebonack 1) up at 9:30 p.m. Imagine how much you'd raise for charity?

Mark, what do you think?

Brad --

A very cool idea.

They'd certainly need to have a few representatives of the media -- don't you think?

(One thing, though: "The Swimmer" wasn't Updike's story; it was John Cheever's -- published, interestingly enough, in the collection titled "The Brigadier and the Golf Widow." Time for one of those V-8 forehead slaps!)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:33:25 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Sebonac

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2007, 03:32:59 PM »
Referring back to Mr. Hissey's comments about the cottages being on the other side of the driving range....thus insinuating that they were not built right on top of NGLA...the picture by Mr. Harris above refutes that...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Did someone complain about the second hole?

I think it looks terrific.  

Who says your second shot has to be on the green to make par?  

I would think if the hole was cut up front left that missing short right would be ideal, even having to play over that bump, and if the hole is cut back right, short left looks to be a really smart play.

It's sort of like the 7th at Friar's Head when the hole is cut over on the front left side.  In that case, missing the green just left is the perfect play.

Mike,

I don't mind you sucking up, but, do you have to make so much noise while doing so ? ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2007, 09:05:01 PM »
Mike,

I don't mind you sucking up, but, do you have to make so much noise while doing so ? ;D

Patrick,

Yeah..it's tough.   I don't know whether Tom Doak or Jack Nicklaus will ask me to join, so I'd better stay neutral.   ::) :P ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2007, 09:07:31 PM »
Patrick,

While we're at it, what do YOU think of the second green?

Do you think it's absurd, as some claim?  If so, do you think it was Jack or Tom who screwed up that green??

Do you think that sometimes the best place to leave the shot is on the correct side, even if that's off the green???

HOW DO I Post in COLOR like you do??!?!?

;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2007, 09:52:26 PM »
Mike,

I'd say that the 2nd green is fairly extreme and/or demanding on the approach, recovery and putt.

While the 1st hole could be described as fairly benign, a nice starter hole, the second hole, like smelling salts, gets your attention and snaps you out of any euphoria or lull associated with begining of your round gently, rather quickly.

I can see how some would call it extreme or too extreme.

On the other hand, it's not the green, it's how the green is maintained.

At 7-9 on a stimp, I think it's rather fair, primarily because balls can be hit left and will feed to the green, and because the green sits up above you and further rises up from front to back.

If you go long or miss left, or god forbid, right, you've got your work cut out for you.

But, the architecture sends a clear tactical signal to the eye and only the most obtuse (I won't mention TEPaul) won't recognize those signals.

So, it's not as if the architects suddenly surprised you.
They didn't.

Could some deem it too severe a challenge for that early in the round.  I guess so, but, while I prefer a kind starting hole I see nothing wrong with a radical change of pace on the 2nd hole.

Since playing golf today seems so rarely contexted in the realm of match play any hole that's demanding will be viewed in a different light.

In the context of match play, and as the 20th hole, I think it's a good hole.

And, it's visually stunning.

The fairway bunker configuration can confuse and make golfers ill at ease, and the winds can have a devastating effect, but, if they do, the 3rd hole will be a pushover.

Or, if the winds make # 2 easy, # 3 will be a bear.

I think conditioning/maintainance is important at Sebonack.

And, it's really far too early to draw final conclusions.

Remember, Pinehurst, NGLA, GCGC, Friar's Head and many, many others were tinkered with for years before the course
"settled in"

So, I say, give it some time.

But, remember this.

Mike Pascucci wanted a HARD golf course.

And, in that context, in # 2, he got his wish.

As to posting in color.

Simply type a front bracket [, then put color=(name of color)
then put the close bracket symbol at the end ]

When you fiinish with your text, type the front bracket [, then type a backslash /, then type the word "color", then type the close bracket ]  and voila, you have it.

Quote this post and examine what follows MIKE

See how easy it is.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:02:29 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:52 PM »
Patrick,

If you thought I was sucking up, you just created an entire vacuumous black hole from which nothing but platitudes could escape.  ;)

Actually, I agree with you.  Of course, I'm sure both Jack & Tom have me on speed dial right now both breathlessly waiting to congratulate me on my good judgement.  ;D

But, perhaps I'm just GREEEN with envy because I haven't been asked yet to join!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:23:43 AM by MPCirba »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:41 PM »
Mike,

I thought you were posting on your lab top from Sebonack

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »
Mike,

I thought you were posting on your lab top from Sebonack

Yeah, but don't tell Security!   :-\ :o ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2007, 10:21:04 PM »
Brad Klein,

I think that's a spectacular idea, but, I don't think it would work with a shotgun unless you had a very limited field.

Monday would seem ideal.

7:00 am tee off on June 23, 2008.

Rounds would have to take no more than 3 hours.
With a half hour break in between for transportation, food or a pit stop, or, to catch up for those behind by 15 minutes.

7:00-10:00
10:30- 1:30
 2:00-  5:00
 5:30-  8:30

I think 1-18 at Sebonack,
Then 1-9 at NGLA.
Then 3-12 at SH
Then 7-6 at SouthHampton
Then 10-18 at NGLA

Or Sean's way would work as well.

With a field limited to no more than 14 foursomes per course it might work with strict time perameters, it would be fun.

I'd consider signing up.
However, I'd request starting on either # 1, # 9 at Sebonack,
# 1 at NGLA, # 1 or # 10 at SH or # 1 or # 10 at Southampton.

And, you should cover this event, playing a practice round with me the day before ;D

Brad Klein

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2007, 10:17:36 AM »
Pat, you're missing part of the the point. There is no transportation time -- you just keep walking, crossing roads, etc.

The fund raiser is that everyone pays a fee to play, say $10,000 per group, maybe more. Plus they sign up folks at $100 per hole to support them, and the more you play the more you raise. You can easily start at 6:30 a.m. and finish at 9 p.m. That's 14.5 hours (I corrected that from 15.5) of sunlight; plenty of time.

People buy in as teams of 3-6 per group, play 3 at a time, let them arrange to switch off as needed so that not too many people drop dead during the day. Assign a cart to each group and three-bag them, assign a caddie who drives, forecaddies, etc. for the day and players can also take turns riding while other teammates simply rest at the clubhouses. It's as much marathon relay as a shotgun. Hit when ready, 14-18 teams per course, keep score and play gross/net total, two balls each per hole recorded scores so there's a competitive dimension, though that's not central. You could easily raise $1.5 million, not including costs of the courses, but have everyone volunteer, including caddies. I'm in.  

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:06:31 PM by Brad Klein »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »
You can easily start at 6:30 a.m. and finish at 9 p.m. That's 15.5 hours of sunlight; plenty of time.

Actually, that's 14.5 hours -- but what the hell. Still plenty of time.

And after the sun sets, everyone can swim up the coast to Updike's place!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
You can get done easily, raise more money by having foursomes if you play pure alternate shot.  This is the format where one guy tees off odd holes and one even.  Each 18 holes will take less than 3 hours...done with a cushion.

What are you talking about cost wise...$5000 a man?  $1000 would sell out in minutes.

SPDB

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2007, 11:19:01 AM »

Rounds would have to take no more than 3 hours.
With a half hour break in between for transportation, food or a pit stop, or, to catch up for those behind by 15 minutes.

7:00-10:00
10:30- 1:30
 2:00-  5:00
 5:30-  8:30

I think 1-18 at Sebonack,
Then 1-9 at NGLA.
Then 3-12 at SH
Then 7-6 at SouthHampton
Then 10-18 at NGLA

Or Sean's way would work as well.

Patrick,
That is my way, you're just starting on #1 at Sebonack instead of #1 at NGLA (as a shotgun event, people will start all over the place). And Brad's right. If there was transportation (which i think is anathema to the event), why employ the odd routing I suggested?

john_stiles

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2007, 02:54:08 PM »

Well,   not having played or even seen either course,  the placement of the Sebonack clubhouse does seem like a sad affair for the NGLA folks based on thses photographs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back