News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Tee City, Maysville, KY
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:36:03 AM »
Gotta tell you this one.

On our way to E KY, we went by a spot where no golf course had been, and suddenly noticed a green. So we pulled in and asked.

The owner, whom we met immediately, due to the fact no one at all else is involved, named his course 'Tee City'. He is a middle aged 'Country' fellow. He told us he liked golf, and had always wanted to make his own course. He admitted he had no idea how to design a course, but he was gonna try it. He does all the work by himself.

There are now 9 holes there. We have not had an opportunity to play it yet. We will let you know.

The man is really cool. Hope he has fun, which he admitted was his real goal. Oh, BTW, $4 to walk, $8 to ride.  ;)

Doug

Mike_Cirba

Re:Tee City, Maysville, KY
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
Doug,

I think that's fantastic.

Over the years I've played a bunch of mom & pop courses and grew up on them.  

Just played another one this year called Pleasant Knolls, a 9-holer originally designed by famous architects Ed & Doris Peters.  

It had a par three where only half the flagstick was visible behind a natural rise in the fairway, just beyond which the green started, and then ran pretty steeply front-to back for about 60 feet, probably falling a good 4 feet in elevation.  I started a thread here about it that didn't generate much interest, but it was still one of the only unique golf holes I've seen all year.

You never know what you might come across at these places, but that's half of what makes them so much fun!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:12:44 AM by MPCirba »

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »
Man, and I thought I was the only person to have visited Maysville.

Doug, have you played Maysville CC by any chance? Driving by there last summer it looked quite interesting.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »
Doug,

I think that's fantastic.

Over the years I've played a bunch of mom & pop courses and grew up on them.  

Just played another one this year called Pleasant Knolls, a 9-holer originally designed by famous architects Ed & Doris Peters.  

It had a par three where only half the flagstick was visible behind a natural rise in the fairway, just beyond which the green started, and then ran pretty steeply front-to back for about 60 feet, probably falling a good 4 feet in elevation.  I started a thread here about it that didn't generate much interest, but it was still one of the only unique golf holes I've seen all year.

You never know what you might come across at these places, but that's half of what makes them so much fun!  ;D

Mike,

There is a 9 holer in Spokane, WA that is in the ma and pops category as well.  Included is a medium length par 4 with a green designed pretty much exactly how you stated, pretty good front to back slope.  Additionally, the green is elevated from the fairway and fronted with a bank of rough so a running shot is mostly impossible.  If that weren't enough it usually plays to a prevailing downwind so even if you have a wedge in hand you can't hardly stick the green.  And to boot as its one of the only courses open in the winter time, thats when we would usually play it when the green is frozen.

Anyways as you could imagine, if there were such a thing as an impossible green to hold, even with a wedge in hand, this would be it.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »
Man, and I thought I was the only person to have visited Maysville.

Doug, have you played Maysville CC by any chance? Driving by there last summer it looked quite interesting.

Jon;

Admittedly, Maysville is not a cosmopolitan center, or even a famous golfing destination. In fact, we pass through Maysville quite often. It is on AA Highway going from our abode in Cincinnati to Eastern Kentucky [AKA Golf Mecca for rednecks!].

We have not gone to Maysville CC, as it is Private. We have seen it on the road as we stopped at Mickeys for a McMuffin. I has a good enough look to it.

Tee City is, I think, about 10m east of Maysville on AA, and we still have not played it. It is hard to stop when Hidden Cove, Eagle Ridge, Stonecrest, The Oaks etc await you a few miles down the road.

What I loved was the man's attitude about building the course, simply because he wanted too. If you ever get over there, maybe you could stop and try it. At those prices, not much to lose but a little time.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back