News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Where is this golfer and....
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
what do you think of this course....I truly enjoyed it but it gets very little attention on this website?  Am I the only one who likes it?

Bart

Garland Bayley

Re:Where is this golfer and....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:16:30 PM »
Cape Kidnappers?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:25:13 PM »
That's the 3rd or 4th hole at Arcadia Bluffs, which I played this summer.

I liked it OK.  I thought the course got off to a strong start, and liked the front nine better.  I thought the routing made walking a bit more difficult than it should have been, especially given that unlimited dirt was moved around to create the faux dunescape.  Another characteristic of the course that I found less than ideal was the green contouring.  Most greens had multiple pockets or hollows where the pins were.  The golfer is either presented with a shorter putt that didn't break much, or a very difficult long putt over a ridge.  There aren't many gently breaking 30-50 footers out there.  Easy 15 footers and really hard 60 footers.

Back to the positive.  The setting is gorgeous, right on Lake Michigan.  The clubhouse looks divine while out on the course, and the world looks divine from the clubhouse patio.  If I had to pick one hole as a best, I would say the par 12th on the water.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »
Cape Kidnappers?

No....more guesses???  I will give you another pic if you guys can't figure it out.

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 06:27:48 PM »
Why is he aiming at the tree?  Is he going to hit a big old high hard hook?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:08 PM »
That's the 3rd or 4th hole at Arcadia Bluffs, which I played this summer.

I liked it OK.  I thought the course got off to a strong start, and liked the front nine better.  I thought the routing made walking a bit more difficult than it should have been, especially given that unlimited dirt was moved around to create the faux dunescape.  Another characteristic of the course that I found less than ideal was the green contouring.  Most greens had multiple pockets or hollows where the pins were.  The golfer is either presented with a shorter putt that didn't break much, or a very difficult long putt over a ridge.  There aren't many gently breaking 30-50 footers out there.  Easy 15 footers and really hard 60 footers.

Back to the positive.  The setting is gorgeous, right on Lake Michigan.  The clubhouse looks divine while out on the course, and the world looks divine from the clubhouse patio.  If I had to pick one hole as a best, I would say the par 12th on the water.

Yes it is Arcadia Bluffs...Is this the concensus on this course...OK???  I found the course to be fun, challenging, beautiful...yes, the greens were undulating and difficult...undulating sure seems to be praised by this group..Here are some more pics from my visit:

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »
Why is he aiming at the tree?  Is he going to hit a big old high hard hook?

Yes, at that time, my friend Pat played a high slinging hook...it was automatic ...

Bart

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »
Is this the concensus on this course...OK???

Bart --

I think Arcadia Bluffs is much, much too far from Philadelphia to have developed a "consensus" here.

I haven't played it, myself.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 06:39:26 PM »

Bart --

I think Arcadia Bluffs is much, much too far from Philadelphia to have developed a "consensus" here.

Dan

Dan:

Don't these pics make you think it might be worth the trip??

Bart

John Kirk

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »
Very nice pictures, Bart.  They really are lovely.

My opinion does not represent the consensus.  Golf Digest rankes this course something like 50-60 in the country.

JESII

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »

Bart --

Dan

I didn't realize...you know what they say about being too close to something to see it...if you do that makes one of us...

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »
Very nice pictures, Bart.  They really are lovely.

My opinion does not represent the consensus.  Golf Digest rankes this course something like 50-60 in the country.

Right...but, you said it was only "ok" and after one month of active participation on this site, noone (NOONE) has mentioned it.  Why?  Obviously, the rankings don't represent everyone's opinion... I played a top 50 course just recently and didn't love it..didn't make my personal top anything....so is Arcadia like that for most people?

Bart

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »
Bart,

If you used the search feature cleverly, you could probably dig up a few past threads on Arcadia.  I made the same comments about 4-5 months ago, right after I played it.  It's not unusual for a course to go a whole month without being mentioned.

I hardly love anything the first time around.  I scored quite well that day, so I felt like the course looked a lot harder than it played.  I take issue with the aesthetics on holes like 10 and 11, where the "dunes" are so pronounced on each side of the fairway.  Most of all, this is an example of a course where every effort should have been made to make it a great walk, and there are too many places where a long or very steep walk to the next tee is required.  The views are to die for.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 07:06:54 PM »
I've played Arcadia once when I was in college and was absolutely blown away by it.  To me, it was as difficult a course as I'd ever played and far and away the most scenic.  I've played a lot more courses since seeing Arcadia in 2000 and would love to play it again to see if it is as good as I remember.  You photos make me think it is - do you have any more you can post?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
Bart,

If you used the search feature cleverly, you could probably dig up a few past threads on Arcadia.  I made the same comments about 4-5 months ago, right after I played it.  It's not unusual for a course to go a whole month without being mentioned.

I hardly love anything the first time around.  I scored quite well that day, so I felt like the course looked a lot harder than it played.  I take issue with the aesthetics on holes like 10 and 11, where the "dunes" are so pronounced on each side of the fairway.  Most of all, this is an example of a course where every effort should have been made to make it a great walk, and there are too many places where a long or very steep walk to the next tee is required.  The views are to die for.

John:

I agree it was not an easy walk.  Sorry, but the search feature on this site just doesn't work well for me   ??? ...

Bart

Bart Bradley

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »
I've played Arcadia once when I was in college and was absolutely blown away by it.  To me, it was as difficult a course as I'd ever played and far and away the most scenic.  I've played a lot more courses since seeing Arcadia in 2000 and would love to play it again to see if it is as good as I remember.  You photos make me think it is - do you have any more you can post?

Just a couple:

Steve Verde

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
Arcadia Bluffs is definitely a very good golf course and is probably as scenic a public (not attached to a resort) golf course as you will find in the US. However, I was not blown away by this golf course. There a couple of great holes out there but as whole I found it to be an average course considering the setting. This might get me in trouble here but I think I actually prefer Bay Harbor to Arcadia Bluffs. I don't know why everyone here seems to hate that course. Just because it lacks flow and is overpriced does not take away how many outstanding holes there are.

Is there anyone who has played Arcadia Bluffs before and after the change in routing? Does it significantly improve the course?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:23 PM »

Is there anyone who has played Arcadia Bluffs before and after the change in routing? Does it significantly improve the course?

I was unaware of a change in routing...when and how???

Bart

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
... Sorry, but the search feature on this site just doesn't work well for me   ??? ...

Bart

Go to Google and try
"arcadia bluffs" site:golfclubatlas.com
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bart Bradley

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 08:24:54 PM »
... Sorry, but the search feature on this site just doesn't work well for me   ??? ...

Bart

Go to Google and try
"arcadia bluffs" site:golfclubatlas.com

Ok Garland:

I did just that and got all of 3 hits...and it did not include this thread.  So, this course has gotten little attention or the web site is hard to search...or both  ;)

Bart

Mike Boehm

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »

I was unaware of a change in routing...when and how???

Bart

Using the hole numbers today, the original routing looked like this:

Original front nine:  1-2-3-4-5-6-7-12-13
Oringinal back nine:  14-15-16-9-10-11-8-17-18

The main driver, I believe, was now both nines end up near the clubhouse.  Not sure what it does to the rhythym of the course as I have not played new routing.

I think they did this ~4 years ago.

John Foley

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 09:02:22 PM »
Bart,

Count me as one who thinks that Arcadia deserves every accolade it gets. The propoerty is spectacular, the holes are fun and challenging. I for one loved the boldness of the greens and the deep reveted fearsome bunkers. To me it all fit.

Given the procilivity of this audiance to get around you'll find many here play it while playing Crystal Downs &/or Kingsley. Given those two places, it probably is an afterthought to many.

There was a discussion about it years ago where Warren Henderson chimed in and gave his thoughts. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Foley

Integrity in the moment of choice

Bill Brightly

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 11:25:52 PM »
http://www.arcadiabluffs.com/the_course.php

Looks nice. Who designed it? And what body of water is it on?

(I'm tired and dont feel like doing any research tonite!)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:26:41 PM by Bill Brightly »

Jesse Jones

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 01:45:54 AM »

Steve,

Oh no you didn't..
Bay Harbor??

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back