News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re:Winter Golf
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:34 PM »
Without a doubt I prefer a good day's winter golf to summer golf -

With English weather, how do you know which is which?  :)

Bob

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 01:52:23 PM »
Who says it never snows in Southern California????????

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 02:04:29 PM »
I will play all year around.  I have a place in the VA mts.  I will ski in the morning and play golf in the Afternoon.  Like others I have planned trips to Colorado and ski in the mountains and play golf in Denver.  The most difficult part of a ski/golf vacation is packing.

I have said it before.  There is an old Norwegian saying :"There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 02:15:13 PM »
I play all winter and love it more than summer golf.  I seem to even take winter golf trips with in 2007 an April trip to Colorado and a November trip to Wisconsin.  To me it is like skiing without all the falling down.

John,

Now I get it, it is not a pose that you show we GCA'ers but you really are truly weird.  ;)

Bob

I think "contrarian" is the word. What's weird is that he may not be intentionally so.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Cory Lewis

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 02:19:39 PM »
As a golf professional who stays in one place year round in the northeast, winter is when I play most of my golf.  I work a normal person's schedule in the winter, five days a week, 8 hours a day, so I have the time to play and therefore don't really care about the weather.  Generally 20 degrees is my limit,  if it's not windy.  I love playing in the winter, the greens are fast and hard, and my home course plays like it shoud, i.e. you have to consider your approach instead of just flying a ball into the green and expecting it to hold.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

David Federman

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 02:36:06 PM »
A little Jack Daniels at the turn helps if it is under 45 F. Sunny and 45 is OK. A cold rain/sleet (unless one is in Ireland) is to be avoided.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 02:42:37 PM »
In Illinois I always played year round as long as I could find my ball (the snow wasn't too deep).  Now in Texas I'm getting used to a different kind of winter golf that isn't too tough.  The hardest thing to deal with down here is the time change which has disrupted my post-work rounds.  Now I have to wake up earlier to start my day at the course.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
As far as winter golf in the mountains, we play a snowshoe tourny with coffee cans and tennis balls.  The "quench wench" dives a snowmobile!!!  It will be the first week of Feb. if anyone is interested...
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »
Texas winter golf is quite trying. I may actually have to wear a sweater and/or long pants by January. No way my ass is moving back to New York.

Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 04:01:10 PM »
The best part about winter golf in the SE is not the mild temps (though that's a very good thing).

It's that you get to play a different course. The Bermuda goes dormant, fw's firm up, balls roll to different spots and greens get very fast. You have to rethink how to play your home course.

Just like down here in Pensacola, Bob.  Which do you prefer?  I actually like the firmness of winter better, plus not sweating through whatever you happen to be wearing!  :o

Doug Ralston

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
Winter is a great time to play golf!

Often we are alone out there, even on some great courses.

Need a very soft golf ball, MC Lady, Noodle etc. They fly much more naturally in cold air.

Warm mead is the drink of choice, or lacking that, rum works well.

Deals everywhere. No probs getting a great course for $25 or less.

Doug

Kirk Gill

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 06:05:02 PM »
A few of the comments made seem to suggest that they allow you on the course when its got snow on it?  I've never found a course that allowed golfers to play when its got a fair amount of standing snow.

There's an undistinguished little public course in Denver called Park Hill Golf that plows the fairways and then drags them with a bit of weighted chain-link fence after snows to get play going again asap. I haven't played out there in recent winters, but in college it was a bit of a lark to go out there and hit your drives off of little styrofoam cups (as the ground was too hard to stick a tee into) and watch them REALLY bounce. Firm, fast, and frozen. Greens hard and slick as a granite countertop. No need to worry about taking a divot, if you value your wrists.

A little subset of the game of golf that I think of fondly....
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mark Smolens

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 06:46:14 PM »
The Jemseks will allow you to play courses 1 and 3 with all the snow you can handle.  No carts (and therefore no heaters), but if you've got colored balls you're more than welcome. . .

Mike Boehm

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 06:50:25 PM »
I love winter golf - last year it actually got to the point where i was hoping for high 30's and some rain so I could get to an empty course and knock out 36 walking in 4 - 4.5 hours.  I live in Michigan and actually played more rounds in state in November and December last year than I did in July and August this year.

I'll play in sub-freezing too, though it really changes the game.  Frozen ground can take the handful of bland, featureless courses open that time of year and turn them into some fun to play as it is guess work as to where to land the ball, how far it will roll out, etc.

The only unfortunate thing about the winter is I have a hard time convincing people to join me.  My dad will go up to about mid-30's - below that, I'm flying solo.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »
I enjoy playing golf in the winter as long as it is above 40 and the sun is out. Hand warmer in each poctet and Ping Mittens and you can enjoy the same course that costs $100 in season for a third the price.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back