News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Peter Pratt

"Planet Golf" (book)
« on: October 16, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
Does anyone have this? Is it worth the price? I saw it at my local book store, but it was shrink wrapped and inaccessible.

Brian_Sleeman

Re:"Planet Golf" (book)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »
I'm assuming you're referring to the book by Darius Oliver, in which case the photography alone makes it a must-have.  He's also working on one profiling the great courses of the US, so that's another to look forward to...

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:56:33 AM »
Peter, I flipped thorugh it the other day. It has some fine photography, but alot of what was in there has been seen before in a more specifically geared book. Meaning, for example, there are links courses, but Finegan's book more than covered this. It's strength it seemed to me was places of the world not covered all that much. It has nice quality, but I didn't feel compelled to buy it. Someone else may find it of more value to them however.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
Peter Pratt -

There was on thread here on this book 4 or 5 days ago. If you scroll thru the topic board, you should be able to find it.

The comments posted on the book were very favorable.

DT  

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:32 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=31523

This book is also discussed in the above thread. Wayne's plug inspired me to order a copy. Haven't received it yet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:13:49 PM by Eric Franzen »

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
I helped open some doors for him in South America a couple of years ago when doing the book. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »
Thanks, guys. I was out of pocket for a few days and hadn't done the usual review of topics I'd missed.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 06:35:25 PM »
I picked one up today at Barnes and Noble, flipped thru it before I purchased it and thought favorably of it

It is mostly about non US courses for a change
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 08:56:20 PM »
It's okay.

I am still not sure whether it is a negative that it covers so many courses (briefly), or a positive.

How much does it cost in the USA?

Big Pete

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:47:51 AM »
It's one of the better books around . The photography by David Scaletti is terrific..

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 08:18:12 AM »
Planet Golf's author Darius Oliver passed through Philadelphia a few weeks ago and a few of us met with him with Jim Finegan and some others at Philadelphia CC.

In my opinion, Darius Oliver is a most impressive mind in architecture. I don't know if he's registered on here but I do know on my way home I put in a call to Ran Morrissett and told him I certainly thought Darius Oliver should be on here.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 08:58:27 AM »
In my opinion, Darius Oliver is a most impressive mind in architecture. I don't know if he's registered on here but I do know on my way home I put in a call to Ran Morrissett and told him I certainly thought Darius Oliver should be on here.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewoliver.html

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »
Whilst wandering despondently around Costco with my better half last weekend I spied a copy of "Planet Golf". Leaving my wife to carry on with the Xmas shopping I found a review copy (i.e. not shrink wrapped). The photography is superb, although I did not have chance to read any of the accompanying text. My quick look through it prompted me to buy, particularly as Costco were selling it at £20 against a UK RRP of £30!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 12:02:19 PM »
got my copy yesterday and it looks wonderful

and Darius isn't afraid to make some critical observations either
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back