News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Kyle Henderson

Spooky Moments
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
In honor of Halloween:

What was your scariest moment on a golf course?

Playing the 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass with $$$ on the line?

Hitting a large, angry man with a stray tee shot?

Breaking a very expensive window with a shanked iron?

Having a heart attack on the 12th green (less fun maybe, but possibly a good anecdote…)?

Hitting your opening tee shot in a pro-am?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Joe Hancock

Re:Spooky Moments
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »
I was 21 y/o, and qualified for the Dodge National Long Drive Championship. I had to tee off with thousands lining the fairway, as it was the opening event at a Senior Tour event. I was the tenth qualifier, therefore the first to tee off. My knees were never so weak.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 06:02:06 PM »
Down $200 with $100 in my pocket and a job that paid minimum wage.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 06:06:29 PM »
Looking right at a bolt of lightning that hit a tree right behind  a green, just as I was in the follow through of a nine iron approach. Totally blinded me and sent me to the ground, as several more strikes happened in rapid succession all around me.

Luckily, it only damaged my boxers  ;)  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »
Standing on the eighth tee of the fourth nine with my father when I was a teenager. (Cue Vincent Price voiceover.) His wife suddenly appears up near the green. We had been due home shortly after the second nine. Haven't heard from him in 18 years.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »
Lightning about a hundred yards away, as I RAN across the 18th fairway (and I never RUN unless it's absolutely necessary) to escape a very fast-moving thunderstorm, at Blueberry Pines Golf Course in Menagha, Minnesota, about 10 years ago.

The hair on my arms and neck stood up.

It's standing up, just remembering.

Happy Halloween.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:47:08 PM »
Running like hell from a tornado.

Gerry B

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 10:41:55 PM »
1)getting hit in the face by a golf ball on the fly at my home course in toronto - my guest thinned a chip from 10 yards off the green  -  miraculously the ball hit me above the jaw and below the eye socket - i was knocked out for a few seconds - sustained a small bruise which healed in a few days - the dimples from the ball left a temporary mark on my cheek. one of the members of our club who was playing in our foursome is an orthopedic surgeon, said that i was very lucky not to sustain a broken jaw or a fractured eye socket

2) 1 pm on the 1st tee at Merion with a full gallery having lunch - managed to hit my drive down the middle

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
Looking right at a bolt of lightning that hit a tree right behind  a green, just as I was in the follow through of a nine iron approach. Totally blinded me and sent me to the ground, as several more strikes happened in rapid succession all around me.

Luckily, it only damaged my boxers  ;)  

reminds me of the story i heard earlier this year about a golfer in Florida....lightning hit im in one leg, crossed over to his other leg, went out that foot and BLEW THE TOES OFF HIS FOOT!

this is a great story to tell your kids, btw, to make sure they are importance of getting inside when lightning is around
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:02:38 AM »
Having a police car drive down my street last Monday morning at 2am telling my and family abd I we had to evacuate immediately......
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back