News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael J. Moss

Sharon, Mass (suburb south of Boston) - places to play
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:12:37 PM »
Any recommendations either private or daily fee?

Bill Shamleffer

Re:Sharon, Mass (suburb south of Boston) - places to play
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:04:45 PM »
Based on my visits to that area in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Pine Oaks was a fun public course in nearby South Easton; and Spring Valley was an OK private in Sharon.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

hick

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:02:09 PM »
both couses in sharon are private , sharon cc is 12 holes and spring valley is 18. spring valley is Advertising on weei boston sports radio for members, so i would gather it would not be hard to get on. Thorny lea in brockton is about a ten min drive from sharon and walpole CC is about the same distance.  I grew up across the street from sharon cc and Thorny lea and i am biased towards thorny lea if you dont get to this Area often as its a stiles and van kleek.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 06:23:12 PM »
Other than the name - Olde Scotland Links in Bridgewater is well worth playing.  A Brian Silva design that is faux links.  Usually in good shape and quite reasonable.  Here's a link if you're interested:  

www.oldescotlandlinks.com

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »
A little bit of a trek, but I would call up Plymouth CC and see if they will let you out.

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 08:14:30 PM »
I'll second the recommendation of Olde Scotland Links.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »
Blackstone National isn't too far either. Solid. The privates are obvious, but dificult to get on.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 12:49:50 AM »
Waverly Oaks and Pine Hills (esp. Nicklaus, Jr.) both just off Route 3 in Plymouth.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Ray Richard

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 07:40:34 AM »
Pine Oaks,Easton-World class pro shop, quirky Cornish design-9 holes
Easton CC-Long,Flat and wide 18 hole Sam Mitchell design-public

Thorney Lea, Brockton-private-The best classic course in the area, great conditions, great layout-highly recommended. All the low handicappers play here.

Franklin CC-Private-Going through a bunker renovation-nice track.

Walpole CC-private-Quirky but in great condition.

If you really want to travel in style go to the next town over and play TPC-Norton and check out those great Gil Hanse upgrades.

Foxboro CC- Private-Hilly but a sound golf course.

Further down the road in Lakeville is Poquoy Brook, a workhorse Cornish design that is open to the public-nice track.

mark chalfant

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »
Mike

Thorny lea and  Marshfield are  supposed  to be very  solid examples of  Stiles /vankleek    designs.

Cohasset CC, near Hingham, appears to be nice Ross.  google their website,  its very good !

Waverly Oaks has some  excellent holes and a few awkward ones

As Sean  suggested  defintly try  Plymouth CC.  the routing and   variety is excellent on this 6,400 yd gem

JimFatsi

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »
You should call Spring Valley, Cornish was the architect 1959, a private course trying to get back to being a "healthy" club, as they have suffered.  Actively looking for members, so I am sure If you go down that route they will let you play. Recent renovations are complete, and now this course ranks with the best in the area.  Another possible course: Granite Links, its semi-private, and well worth the $.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back