News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Re:Baltimore/ 5 Farms (Tillinghast)
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 09:37:26 AM »
The par threes all go in different directions. The 4th is a 160 yard shot to a push up green surrounded by bunkers. It is a big green with a nice back to front tilt. I still don't know how to putt that green. #9 is 205 straight up the hill with one of the most severe greens on the course. The green was softened a few years ago, but is still a challenge to putt. #13 is 189 and slightly downhill. Two large oaks frame the approach and there is a small opening front left. This hole was recently lengthened and I believe about 10 yards too much. And #17 is 180 to another severely sloped green. You need to be on target and short of the pin as anything pin high or above in next to impossible to two putt.
Mr Hurricane

John Sabino

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
I'm also a big fan of the East Course, think it has much more variety and interest than Winged Foot and Baltusrol and great terrain. The par five 14th hole is one of the best/most fun holes I have played and have included some pictures of it in my latest post. Joe
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
Jim,

Although they're a good set, I was less intrigued and enthalled with the par threes overall as 3 of the 4 play to within a club or so distance-wise.   I do have to admit that I loved 4.

In my mind, the course really shines in the variety and interest of the par fours which run the gamut.   Similar to Lancaster and Aronimink, it offers one solid par four after another, but with much more charm than the latter provides.

And, the two par fives are both world-class, putting it in my mind in a group with Merion and Pine Valley and St. Andrews as courses having only 2 par fives with both of them being great holes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:09:13 PM by MikeCirba »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »
Mike -

I agree the threes are not the strong suit, but they do play in different directions. #13 and #17 play to the same club most of the time, but #4 and #9 never play to the same club as the other two.

The par 5s are special though. I have gotten home in two to both which I have never done at PV. Then again I have only played Five Farms 300 more times than PV(at least).
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back