News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Pete Dye - My Shot - from July 2002
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »
(NOTE: I was cleaning up some old stuff in my office recently and came across a bunch of old magazine articles that I had saved, so I thought I'd post some that others might find interesting. Apologies to those who feel I'm violating copyright laws, these are older articles and I don't think I'm hurting anyone by posting them. If any of the moderators see this and prefer I remove them, let me know and I will do so promptly.)

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil Benedict

Re:Pete Dye - My Shot - from July 2002
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »
I disagree with his contention that women play faster.  He didn't come up with that on any course I play!

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:12:31 AM »
"I wish they would raise the mower heights a bit, so grain would become a factor again." Pete Dye

"I like overtipping people who don't usually get any tip at all." Pete Dye

Thanks George, many timeless gems in there from the old days (2002?)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:03:18 PM »
I disagree with his contention that women play faster.  He didn't come up with that on any course I play!

I suspect he may mean that they don't have the dreaded pre-shot routine.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
I wish Tiger could be forced to hit his driver 14 times. The distance he gets with his 2-iron is impressive but the risk of a bad shot is cut in half. There's so little suspense to it.

This quote alarmed me...seems a bit too deferential from a guy with Pete's reputation.

What would Pete Dye do if he knew Tiger were going to hit 2 iron all 14 times?

Has anyone actually seen Tiger miss a tee shot with that 2 iron?

Phil Benedict

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:42:15 PM »
I wish Tiger could be forced to hit his driver 14 times. The distance he gets with his 2-iron is impressive but the risk of a bad shot is cut in half. There's so little suspense to it.

This quote alarmed me...seems a bit too deferential from a guy with Pete's reputation.

What would Pete Dye do if he knew Tiger were going to hit 2 iron all 14 times?

Has anyone actually seen Tiger miss a tee shot with that 2 iron?

Based on what I have seen, Tiger rarely misses a fairway with an iron and I don't think I've ever seen him hit a truly wild tee shot with his 2-iron.  Of course lately the dispersion pattern with his driver has gotten a lot tighter.

JESII

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »
True...very true.

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »
Didn't he hook a long iron into trouble at Carnoustie this year?

The funny thing to me is that Tiger doesn't seem to be any threat to adopt Pete's 2 iron strategy, so why even worry about it.

Slag -

Good call on the greens section you mentioned - I thought that was the most interesting part.

For Dan King:

I tip everybody. I believe in tipping. I believe in overtipping - that's my philosophy.

- Steve Martin's charter in My Blue Heaven
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back