News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

A recent look at The Hideout (with pics)
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:15:19 PM »
I recently visited Moab in Southern Utah, so I decided to take the 45 minute drive south to Monticello to play The Hideout by Forrest Richardson. I did find a previous review on this site, but the pictures provided seemed to be taken in the late fall/early winter time frame. So I thought I would provide the treehouse with a recent summertime peek. While the course has been reviewed before, I won't re-hash everything again, but I do have a few comments.

First off, I really liked the way the holes were routed accross the terrain to provide a variety of shots/lies/and stances.  The nearby mountain(s) was framed nicely and provided a nice backdrop on several of the holes. The green complexes were done well and several had big swales surrondings the greens to make for tough recovery shots. With the course at high elevation, it did play shortish but the tightness and exacting nature of the landing areas more than made up for it.  I really enjoyed the quirky nature of some of the holes, including #8, (even though I made a giant mess out of it). Hole #13, a slight double dogleg was my personal favorite as it follows a huge wash down the side of a valley. IMO the course's best assest is its variety of holes which constantly held my attention in anticipation of what was coming next.

While the course really is out of the way, it is one of Utah's finest and worth a look if you happen to find yourself in Southeast utah or Southwest Colorado.:) Enjoy the pics!!

Hole 1 - Par 4

A gentle start to the round with a wide fairway:

The green is tucked in front of a hazard so appraches need to err on the short side.

Hole 2 - Par 5

This hole has a blind creek which is in play with the driver. The ideal tee shot stays left but the LZ is very tight...

..because these trees get in the way otherwise.

Hole 3 - Par 3

A skyline green of sorts with a nice view.

Hole 4 - Par 4

A tricky tee shot, because your not exactly sure how far till the fairway drops off.

The hole doglegs right to a green on the other side of a huge swale/ravine

Hole 5 - Par 4

This is a short hole, but requires an exact tee shot with a fairly long carry depending on which tee you play from.

The approach in to the small green.  Once again long is wrong with a hazard behind the green.

Hole 6 - Par 4

This is one of the nicest looking tee shots on the course as you hit over  a big wetland area and bite off as much as you can chew.

A look at the green, tucked into close to the hazard that runs the length of the hole

Hole 7 - Par 3

A beaut of a hole with a nice view.  This plays uphill and into the wind on the day I was there.

Miss this green right is very bad.  The recovery is a lot worse than it looks here.

Hole 8 - Par 4

A fun quirky hole that can bite at any time.  The tee shot to a small landing area:

The shot into the green:

Missing short can be devestating on the score card:

A look back up the hill to get a sense of the downhill nature of the approach:

Hole 9 - Par 5

Tee shot to an amply wide fairway:

A nice view looking back toward the tee from the fairway:

The layup must negotiate a bunker, here is the short approach in to a 3 tier green.

Back 9 to follow....

Kalen Braley

Re:A recent look at The Hideout (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
Hole 10 - Par 4

A look at the tee shot to a dogleg right hole.  Bombing it over the trees will leave just a wedge in:

Hole 11 - Par 3

This is a neat little hole that is tucked into a little corner.  Only wish the cart path could have been located elsewhere.

Coming up short makes for a tough recovery to save par..

Hole 12 - Par 4

A neat little short par 4 that requires an accurate tee shot and approach:

Missing right here is beyond dead...

Here is a good look at the severity of the collection areas that existed around many of the greens.

A look at the green from 13 tee

Hole 13 - Par 5

This was my favorite hole on the course.  I braincramped and forgot to take a picture from the tee.  Here is a look at the wash that runs the entire length of the hole.

Looking back up the hole from the side of the green:

Hole 14 - Par 5

Another par 5 that is also reachable.  I laid up to about 100 yards in with this approach.

A look at the green:

Hole 15 - Par 4

A short driveable hole:

I laid up to here with a 5w for a short wedge in.

Hole 16 - Par 4

Straight up the hill...

Having not played it before the approach is very intimidating as its completely blind and tucked on the other side of the saddle.

A look at the green from behind.  That pin was tucked right behind the tree.

Hole 17 - Par 3

A fun drop shot par 3

A look at the green complex from the right hand side:

Hole 18 - Par 4

A longish downhill par 4.  The approach in:

A look back up the hole:

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »
Interesting that you liked 13. What is the strategy there besides how do I keep it out of the wash? How do you rate the other double dog leg, #9?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »
Interesting that you liked 13. What is the strategy there besides how do I keep it out of the wash? How do you rate the other double dog leg, #9?

Garland,

First and foremost I like the beauty of the hole and how it meandered down the ravine and bisected the wash.  As for strategy, it requries a fade off the tee and a draw into the green.

More specifically one must decide how far to hit it down the fairway to avoid bringing the tree in play.  As a left to right player I hit 3wood far enough down there to consider going for the green.  However the tree was right in the way of my left to right ball flight and a draw is a difficult shot for me.  

At that point I had to figure out how much to bite off for my layup shot and keep it from going right over the fairway.  From there the work isn't over as going left or long on this green was death.  So do I hit a low ball into the green and run it back to the back pin or try to hit a high one to check.

And thats the beauty of the hole..its challenging for good players to get it on in 2 as well as challenging for mid-cappers like myself with the layup shot.  I suppose it would be a bit tough for high handicappers but still very playable...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:48:28 PM by Kalen Braley »

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 02:51:03 PM »
Kalen,

Thanks for pics and review. I really like the look of the benched green on #12.

Good job!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
I did like #9 as well and negotiating the bunker on the layup was very much a concern for me.  The tee shot was pretty straight forward, and I laid up to about 70 yards in with a 4 iron (granted it was playing downwind that day).

It is important to not go to far left or you'll get blocked off by the trees.  I also wouldn't want to be on a top tier trying to putt down to one of the lower tiers.   ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:02:58 PM »
Next time you go back, walk the course and give us a golfer's review instead of the cartballer's review you have given us!  ;D

What's this younger generation coming to? Always riding carts and such!
 :(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 03:06:16 PM »
Next time you go back, walk the course and give us a golfer's review instead of the cartballer's review you have given us!  ;D

Well it would be quite the course to walk...no doubt about that...

But the pictures wouldn't be any different... ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »

Yes, the pictures would be different.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 04:15:33 PM »

Lol..well I guess i'll humor you for a little bit longer...would you care to explain why??  ;)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 04:21:44 PM »
Kalen,
Thanks for the pics. It's always nice to see a course relatively new course, of what appears to be a high caliber, being offered to the public for such an inexpensive price.

I don't know how you can beat $21.00 for a round of golf.  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 04:25:07 PM »

Lol..well I guess i'll humor you for a little bit longer...would you care to explain why??  ;)

Look at your picture of #11 and you will see why.  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 04:29:12 PM »
Kalen,
Thanks for the pics. It's always nice to see a course relatively new course, of what appears to be a high caliber, being offered to the public for such an inexpensive price.

You haven't played it. How do you know it is of high caliber?

Pat Mucci

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »
Kalen,

Jim,

It is a very good value.  I can only guess the reason its so low is because it really is very remote.  Tee times are not required, just show up.  Almost a private country club feature of sorts...   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 04:34:09 PM »

Look at your picture of #11 and you will see why.  ;D

Ahh yes Garland...the smoking gun.  But then I already admitted that I rode a cart that day.  ;D

As for the picture, while the top of the cart does distract, the cart path is even more so IMO. But with the constraints of the steepness of the hill, not sure where else they would have put it. And before you go there, as you well know, even walkers must walk that concrete path to the green...  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »
Forrest (and Jack) really did a great job for the people of the region with their SuperFund funds.

The views are special and the atmosphere is more of a Ma & Pop feel than a city run course.
The conditions look much improved from when I was there soon after it's re-opening.
The old course there was called Blue Mountain (?) a nine holer Jack Snyder probably designed for diddly.

I'm not a fan of the 3rd, but after finding out what all was invovled to create it, I especially don't like it. ;D
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
...And before you go there, as you well know, even walkers must walk that concrete path to the green...  ;)

Can't figure out if this means I've been there before or not.
 ???

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 04:48:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

The fairway at #2 may someday be widened so you can hit longer off the tee, rightward. Then, attack the green fromthe hill above the creek (from the right). As it is, it makes a decent 3-shot par-5, a rarity.  ;D

The path on #11 was problematic from the onset. We had a monster storm and it proved we could not even begin to touch the hillside or it may collapse. I have often thought we should coat it with iron as we did recently at Olivas Links. The iron sure helps soften the concrete. I agree, it is unfortunate.

Interesting comments about #13. Ther are loads of options. Granted, they have mostly to do with power and length (or lay-up), but they are options none-the-less. It is the ultimate sling-shot hole, or at least one of the best we have ever created. The power play is two big shots; first L-to-R off the tee, followed by R-to-L incoming to the pearched green.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 04:50:35 PM »
...And before you go there, as you well know, even walkers must walk that concrete path to the green...  ;)

Can't figure out if this means I've been there before or not.
 ???

Yes it does indeed..

I was aware that you did this course review already and thats what i was referencing to in both my original post and my latest one  :)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=26395;start=msg493273#msg493273

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 04:52:52 PM »
Garland,

.....of what appears to be a high caliber...- Me

Only a Mucci impersonator would jump on that one.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments.
Interesting comments about #13. Ther are loads of options. Granted, they have mostly to do with power and length (or lay-up), but they are options none-the-less. It is the ultimate sling-shot hole, or at least one of the best we have ever created. The power play is two big shots; first L-to-R off the tee, followed by R-to-L incoming to the pearched green.

Didn't say there weren't loads of options. I brought it up because I liked #9 better as I thought it made me think more and execute more. Also, I have a history of disagreeing with Kalen about how the amount of penalty possible in a hole relates to the quality of the hole.

I played the power play on #13 the first time. Next time I will move back to a different tee and explore the hole more. As you may remember, I felt the altitude made my handicap appropriate tees inadequate.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
Forrest,

It really was a lot of fun to play and the variety was perfect.

13 is a great hole and I really like how it sits on the land and follows the wash as it empties out into the valley bottom.  And yes there are options-a-plenty on that hole

I was a little cautious of 16 when I stood on the tee, and when I pushed my tee shot into the rough, I knew I was in for it.  But its a cool little quirky hole that I would love to take another crack at..

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 05:02:54 PM »

I was a little cautious of 16 when I stood on the tee, and when I pushed my tee shot into the rough, I knew I was in for it.  But its a cool little quirky hole that I would love to take another crack at..

Quirky? One man's quirky is another mans great. Too bad you young'uns have been feed to much modern architecture with ride the cart up to the tee and then play the hole downhill from there!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 05:09:51 PM »
Kalen,

At that money this course is awesome, there are some great holes here and a few mingers too but on the whole I think its good, love the first hole! Not too many bunkers but it would appear not to need them.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »

I do! Grow old! It gets even less expensive then.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back