News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

South Mountain (with pics)
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:13:53 PM »
South Mountain is a public course located approx. 15 miles south of Salt Lake City in Draper, UT.  Its a sprawling David Graham/Gary Panks layout that while literally carved out of the side of the mountain, was blended in fairly well with its surronds. The routing was done in a very natural-looking way over the rugged landscape which created both a beautiful and very challenging layout.

Natural washes, seasonal creeks, and large ravines were used to both interface strategically with the golfer as well as provide scenic backdrops to many holes. While housing can be seen from the course its set very far back on high bluffs. In addition, as this is a mountain course, it is very unwalkable, specifically the back nine.  However working with the constraints given them, the architects did a fine job in selecting the most usable spots to locate playable golf holes. The hole routing is greatly varied as only 3 holes are followed by a hole with the same par. (3 par 4s were followed by another par 4).  The par 5s are all medium to long yet still reachable with a well struck tee shot. While 3 of the par 3s were fairly short, they all employed plenty of trouble.  The par 4s provide the greatest amount of variance as 5 of them play well over 400 yards and 3 of them are pretty short that demand precise tee and approach shots.  

The fairways were in good conditions and provided various challenges with its undulations.  Often the desired landing zone would have the most amount of undulation in the fairway.  Whereas laying up might provide a better lie, it results in the longer shot to the green. The fairways played fairly fast and firm and running the ball onto the green was an option on most holes. The greens were a little moist, which they probably do to keep them alive in the 100 degree summer days and very dry local climate. That being said they still play reasonably quick and true.  As well, most of the greens have at least two tiers on them making it difficult to two putt if your approach did not find the correct level. The bunkering was well done and they varied greatly in terms of size and postition from hole to hole.

OVerall I was most impressed with the course as it is presented visually to the golfer and in the variety of the holes as they come at you. Scenenically, every golf hole has a spectacular views of the entire Salt Lake Valley and/or Wasatch Mountain Range.  With a $35 weekend green fee, it was a very good value.

Enjoy!!

Hole 1 - Par 4

The opener is a short par 4, yet demands a precise tee shot with the trouble down the right hand side.

The approach shot if laying back off the tee with an iron:

Looking back towards the tee.  The fairway bunker almost looks a bit like a Engh bunker.

Hole 2 - Par 5

A good drive is needed to get home in 2....

as the approach shot is very demanding.  You cannot miss left on this approach as it falls away into a ravine. :)

Hole 3 - Par 3

A beautiful little par 3 that is played over the same ravine as it extends down from the previous hole.

You can see the undulation in this green, hitting to the correct level is a must.

Hole 4 - Par 4

This is a neat little short par 4.  You can go up the left hand side and get the best angle to the green....

But don't miss the tee shot long or right or another ravine awaits.  I laid back and played this approach:

A look at the green..

Hole 5 - Par 4

A pretty ho hum hole, seemed like a transition hole to get to 6.

The approach to a semi-skyline green:

Hole 6 - Par 5

A medium length par 5 that pinches in the farther up the fairway you go...

A look at the mounding in the fairway can be seen here:

The approach in to another skyline green:

Hole 7 - Par 4

This hole plays tighter than it looks all the way to the green.  The balls don't really kick back to the fairway if you find the mountain side.

The approach in needs to be precise with a wash right and slope to the left.

The green is tucked into a little slot canyon with a beautiful dry wash behind it.

Hole 8 - Par 3

This is the lone long par 3 on the course.  Plays uphill about 215 yards.  

The green complex framed by the mountain in the background.

Hole 9 - Par 4

A long par 4 to finish the front 9 that plays pretty tight.

The approach shot in that once again shows the movement in the fairways.

The green complex as seen from the right side:

Back 9 to follow in a few minutes....

Kalen Braley

Re:South Mountain (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:30:33 PM »
The back 9...

Hole 10 - Par 4

Yet an even longer par 4 to follow up number 9.  It plays 500 yards from the tips..

The approach shot in, not to be missed left..

Hole 11 - Par 3

Another very cool short par 3 that plays over a massive ravine:

Looking back at the tees..

Hole 12 - Par 4

A very good "bite off as much as you can chew hole" that runs down the side of the ravine.

A long iron tee shot will leave this approach..

A look back up the canyon...

Hole 13 - Par 5

A downhill longish par 5 that can be reached in two with a big drive.  Aim just right of the bunkers...

The approach in..hard to tell from the pic, but the green looks like it falls off into nowhere, but there is a bunker behind..

As seen here..

Hole 14 - Par 4

Another bite off hole but with a twist, its blind if you want to take the agressive line.  However if you bite off too much on the wrong angle you'll drive it into a creek on the other side of the fairway as can be seen in the next pic.

The long approach in...I popped up my drive...  :(

Hole 15 - Par 5

A shortish par 5 that plays uphill and into the prevailing wind.  Just avoid the bunker on the right.

The approach into the green:

Hole 16 - Par 3

The last of the short par 3s.  There is a collection area if you miss short and with a red pin its a very tricky recovery over the rock wall.

The green complex from the right side:

Hole 17 - Par 4

This is my favorite hole on the course.  Just a little gem of a short par 4.  Even though it doesn't look it, its important to stay left with the tee shot and hit it over the bunkers...

If laying back here is the approach in...

If you get more agressive with the tee ball you will likely have this to a fortress-style green..

Coming up short and right on the approach will be punished.

Hole 18 - Par 4

A long testing finishing hole that plays into the prevailing wind.
Keep the tee shot left for the best angle in..

Bomb a long one and you'll have this left into a heavily guarded green..

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »
Nice looking course....looks like a tough challenge. It looks like a good mix of par 4's

The housing is butt ugly....people actually like that look?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »
The view from the course to the houses??  Well thats not preferrable...

But the view from the houses over the entire valley and mountain range is very much nice.  There are much nicer houses in the area, but many near the course are Condo/townhomes...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 07:52:21 PM »
Kalen, thanks for the comprehensive post.

How long is the first? Could they smooth that left hillside and create a chute that powered well-struck tee shots down to the green?

12 looks like it could be on Kapalua.  How fast does it play? Does it play into or with the wind? What about getting rid of that front greenside bunker so you could run it down there, play the hill if necessary?

Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
Kalen, thanks for the comprehensive post.

How long is the first? Could they smooth that left hillside and create a chute that powered well-struck tee shots down to the green?

12 looks like it could be on Kapalua.  How fast does it play? Does it play into or with the wind? What about getting rid of that front greenside bunker so you could run it down there, play the hill if necessary?

Mark

Mark,

Thanks...

The 1st hole is about 340 from the tips and usually plays into the previaling wind.  I played it from the next set forward at about 320 yards and hit a 5 wood with sand wedge in.  If one is to drive the green it would need to be almost all carry and hope for a good bounce. From having played it, it looks like they very much could alter that little hill to facilitate driving the green.  But then they wouldn't want to make the 1st hole too easy now would they??   ;)

12 is a very cool hole and it plays tougher than it looks as that whole left hand side is just death.  It plays 390 from the tips but as its downhill and usually downwind, a long bomber could concievably hit a high draw and get close to putting it on the green.  After pulling my tee shot into the junk left, I put my next shot just over that first bunker...

That greenside bunker as best as I can tell was put there to catch a short approach shot.  There is room homever to run it on with a pin on the left hand side of the green.

As I play some of the holes on the back nine, it sometimes looks a little bit like Jacks course in Thousand Oaks, Sherwood country club as it meanders thru the canyons...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:08:54 PM by Kalen Braley »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:49:21 PM »
Kalen,
Thanks for posting. I'd be interested to compare it to the Broadmoor Mountain Course that occupies a similarly challenging side-mountain site. The courses look fairly different from your photos, however, as that one has much more heather and I think an intent to be more difficult than this course appears.

The first looks like it could have been an Engh hole with the bunker and the side slope of the fairway! I'd pay $35 to give it a shot certainly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back