News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re:New 10th hole at Congressional (pics)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 10:10:40 AM »
JM: I believe Rees worked on the greens and perhaps some of the bunkering but not the routing.  If you remember, they had some really difficult problems with the greens at the Senior Open after Rees' work.

JSlonis

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »
For anyone that knows the Gold Course at Congressional, when I first saw the new (Blue Course) 10th, I thought it was the 18th hole of the Gold.  They look very similar.

JMorgan

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 10:18:48 AM »
Jerry, you're probably right... let me check my notes when I get home though because I was pretty sure BOTH RTJ and Rees rerouted.  

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »
Just think, this was once a Devereux Emmett masterpiece--now it is a generic mess.

Is this an accurate statement?

I played a four round event here 10 years ago and thought it was extremely difficult...and it was good...but masterpiece seems a stretch to me. Would you guys that know the course better than I consider it one of the great courses along the eastern seaboard?

Jim;

There's the question for you.  I worked there in 2003 and 2004; I played the Blue Course a lot.  I would consider the club great, because of its geographic location, its history and membership, its level of membership activity, its excellence as an overall club operation.

Define "great" for me, in your terms.  Is your course great?  I think so.  

I would consider the course a great experience.  

I would not, and I have gone on record with some members as such, say that I am big fan of the golf course. I find it to be very one-dimensional (hit a straight drive, a straight, high iron) and repeat.  Many holes look similar, but that's a factor of the architect.  It's difficult because it's longer, and the rough swallows up golf balls.  I didn't think the greens were any particular challenge, as long as you had the speed right. Most were pretty flat, but elevated.    It's in unbelievable (great) condition at all times.  Mike Giuffre and his staff are outstanding.  I did prefer Bethpage Black to it then and now, more variety in holes.  Having said that, I would enjoy playing it in the company of good people.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Matthew Rose

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »

Get rid of the long grass.

Right now, it is completely obvious that it's a new hole, due to that. Doesn't fit in at all with the look of the course. If they made an effort to blend it in a bit with what was there before, it would look better.

I think I like the old hole better just because the water seems less in play on the new one.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 03:53:38 PM »
The green appears much larger than the typical small green out there.

It is a wide green.

Maybe they had to make it wide after they decided to make it a 218 yard hole, all carry over water!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back