News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Spogard

Re:Two Days in Southport
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »
You will enjoy Formby. (Though the best time would probably be to play it in August with the heather).

I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on it. I think the variety on that course is more or less unparalleled to anything you will find.

Please enjoy - and post some pictures!  ;)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 09:53:42 AM »
West Lancs is probably the sleeper here.  I saw it ages ago and don't remember much.  But it's pure links and hardly anybody has seen it on GCA.

Also, it has a clubhouse even uglier than the old one at Carnoustie.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:09:09 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »
Paul, you're right about West Lancs, great course. By the way if you're into ugly clubhouses attatched to great courses try giving Seaton Carew the once over! ;D

Brent, whilst at Formby make sure you play the Formby Ladies Course. Great layout and despite not being so long not that easy to play your handicap on.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Jon,

I was looking over what info I could find on Formby Ladies earlier this week. On that Tuesday I have a round at Formby in the morning and thought I might have a go at the Ladies course after lunch (before departing for the Buda at the end of the day). There's a society outing at Formby teeing off right behind me which makes 36 there not so inviting.

Paul,

I've seen photos of the clubhouse at West Lancs. It makes me feel kind of at home. My club's clubhouse was designed in the 70's by a firm that built school buildings. It's a more modest version of that same flat-roof, sliding-door, commercial look that you see at West Lancs. I'm betting theirs was built in...let's say 1973 or so.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 02:56:57 PM »
Let's be objective - there's nothing to compare with Birkdale and Formby beyond moving the scene to Hoylake or Lytham.  Forget West Lancs or S&A, if you want a 3rd course to play it has to be Hillside.  The course is usually denigrated on this site.  I don't really see why.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 04:25:40 PM »
Mark:

I might be the one who started piling on Hillside, based on a single walk-through 25 years ago.  It just looked to me like one of those "modern links" [Waterville is another] where someone had gotten on a bulldozer to shape the greens, and wiped out all the interesting little contours on the approaches and surrounds that are the linchpin of links golf.

The 11th and 17th did appear to be excellent holes -- they're the only ones I can still remember.  I do remember far more of Formby, but not of S & A.

Note:  I could be wrong of course; I only saw the course once, and I had probably played Lytham and Birkdale and Hoylake [with John Graham no less] just before walking Hillside, so all I can really say for sure is that it's not in that company.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 04:27:32 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back