News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Miller

I'm planning my itinerary for a solo trip to Scotland in late August and am looking for a "lesser" course in each of Fife, the Highlands and E. Lothian.  

In Fife, on the day I arrive, I'd like to play a course that would be a relatively cheap (40 pounds or so), fun introduction to golf in Scotland.  Would you all recommend The Eden, Levin Links, Elie or another course in that price range?

In the Highlands, I'm looking for a third course after RD and Brora.  Would you all recommend Tain, Golspie or Boat of Garden?   Nairn may be a little expensive for me, and I've heard mixed things about it.

And in E. Lothian, I'm looking for a follow-up to N. Berwick.  What do you all think about the merits of The Glen vs. Dunbar (or any other course in the area in that price range)?

Thanks so much for the help.  This site has been a great resource in planning the trip.

Daryl David

Not sure on the price, but Crail would be a good alternative in Fife.  For the highlands, Boat of Garten is great.  Try Longniddry for East Lothian or Dunbar.

G Jones

Dunbar is a much better links course than the Glen... in fact I don't think much of the Glen at all... If you're near north berwick then a better choice than either of these would be Luffness New or one of the courses at Gullane.

In fife you could try Ladybank - a beautiful silverbirch lined small parkland course that is a final qualifying course when the open is at St Andrews.

Up north Boat of Garten is very small but nice. Try the big course at Lossiemouth - that is a classic but often overlooked links.

Phil McDade

Tain and Golspie are both nearer to Dornoch than the Boat, but the Boat is worth the short hike down the A9, if for no other reason that your tentative itinerary is full of links and the Boat is a pretty classic parkland course, built out of a forest of silver birch trees. It measures @ 6,000 yards, but plays longer, as it's a pretty tight course, pretty unyielding if you're off the fairway, and has several uphill approach/second shots. It also has a bit of quirk, particularly on the back nine, which has great variety among its par 4s. One of the better inland courses in Scotland.

Sean_A

In Fife - I would vote for Crail or Eden.  In the Highlands, I would say Fortrose & Rosemarkie (assuming you don't want to make the long drive to Durness).  And in E. Lothian I would probably pick Dunbar.  As a fallback I would say Gullane 2 or 3.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 06:44:09 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

David,
as far as Fife is concerned, you'd be most welcome to play the extremely lesser Balbirnie Park as my guest!
Inland, parkland, as far from Scottish 'Links' as it gets, but good fun, pretty surroundings and Belhaven Best in the Bar!
Drop me an IM with your arrival time/date and if you'd care to play a second/third/fourth(???) tier track, I am happy to host.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean Walsh

I'm a great fan of a days golf at Crail but the course itself is not as good as The Eden (of which I am an unabashed fan).  The added advantage is that few visitors actually play it so your chances of playing with a local are better than any of the other St Andrews area courses (If that's your thing)

Marty Bonnar

Alternatively,

What Sean said... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Miller

Thank you all for suggestions and to Martin for the kind invitation (I sent you a IM re: a round at Balbirnie).   It looks like Crail, Eden, Boat of Garden and Dunbar have been recommended more than once.

Please keep 'em coming!

Rich Goodale

Fife--Eden
Highlands--Golspie
East Lothian--Dunbar

Steve Kline

Crail, Lundin and Leven Links are all fun. Crail would be my first choice of the three. Very short course with a par of 69 I think. But it's a ton of fun. Wind has howled every time I've played it. There are really only two or three holes that are average.

The only courses I've played near Dornoch were the the Struie at Dornoch and Nairn. I probably wouldn't play the Struie again but Nairn was a blast.

Around N. Berwick, Dunbar and Gullane 1 or 2 are good. My recollection of Dunbar is hazy because it's the only time in three trips to Scotland that I had to break out the rain gear and the umbrella.

Michael Whitaker

Highlands:  Tain or Moray Old

Fife:  Crail or Scotscraig or Montrose

E. Lothian:  Dunbar
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Chaplin

Gullane 2 or 3 are both good fun to play. #3 maybe short but the greens are small and the bunkering tight, perfect place for a 150 minute round.

Boat of Garten is another short course but the setting and views are wonderful. It's well worth the drive.

Crail has 6 or 7 good holes amongst 11 or 12 very old very ordinary ones. Try Lundin, Ladybank or the like.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

Fife - Elie, though you won't go farwrong with any of the other recommendations
Highlands - Boat of Garten
E Lothian - Drive a few miles south,over the border and play Berwick upon Tweed (Goswick).  Alternatively, North Berwick itself is a great value.  Further alternatively, try Kilspindie - very short but real old time golf.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

Fife - Elie closely followed by either Crail (Balcomie) or Lundin Links

Highlands - Boat of Garten

East Lothain - Dunbar or Gullane 2/3
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

SPDB

You should definitely take Martin up on his invitation to play
Balbirnie. I did, and his good cheer and hospitality were one of the highlights of the trip. The same can be said of others who graciously hosted me.

Among East Neuk destinations, I would prefer Elie to Crail or Lundin. Crail was one of the only places where I was treated shabbily.

In East Lothian, you should just buy the day ticket at N. Berwick. But failing that, some of the courses east toward Muirfield provide very good golf at pretty good values, among them, Longniddry and Kilspindie. Dunbar I can't vouch for, but friends recommended it.  

Lastly, I don't think any of these courses are at the £40 (although Kilspindie and Longniddry might). You might want to check out some of the hotels in the area (e.g. Ducks) who sometimes offer stay and play deals. Lastly, a quick PSA, avoid the Blenheim House.

Joe Fairey

Crail...Elie..Ladybank...all good choices in Fife

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back