News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Today's Chicago Trib published an article that featured our very own Terry Lavin, who discussed the issue of trees.

The title discussed major trim.

"Classic Oakmont CC spruces up for a major with a major trim"

;) ;) :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:19:43 AM by Paul Richards »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

Re:Terry Lavin on trees and trim
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 07:14:35 AM »
the linky doesn't work so here's the text:

Wood Chop 101
Classic Oakmont CC spruces up for a major with a major trim

Published June 11, 2007

When Terry Lavin thinks of trees on a golf course, he doesn't recite the famous line from Joyce Kilmer's poem, "I think I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree."

Lavin goes to the other extreme. Borrowing from Robert Duval's character in "Apocalypse Now," he said, "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning."

During his stint as the grounds chairman at Olympia Fields Country Club, Lavin helped oversee the removal of as many as 1,000 trees in a restoration project.

He contended the trees on the North course, where the 2003 U.S. Open was played, needed to be taken down to allow the sun to help the grass grow and to open fairways that were becoming congested with hanging branches.

His role as tree chopper didn't make Lavin a popular figure at the club.

"We cut down 35 trees around the fourth green," Lavin said. "One member said, 'We should have left one tree up there so we could hang you on it.' He was only half-kidding."

Olympia Fields is one of many clubs that have participated in one of the biggest trends in golf—the mass removal of trees, especially in the restoration of traditional courses.

Locally, clubs such as Butler National, Beverly and Medinah have taken out scores of trees in an effort to improve the quality of their turf and the playability of their layouts.

But none of those efforts compares to what took place at Oakmont Country Club, just outside of Pittsburgh. When the pros arrive there for the U.S. Open this week, they won't recognize the course that last played host to the Open in 1994.

Gone are 6,000 trees. According to Oakmont club President Bill Griffin, there is only one tree left that comes into play on the interior of the course.

The goal was to restore Oakmont to its roots, none of which included trees. The course was designed in 1903 as a wide-open, wind-swept, links-style venue. In an effort to beautify the course, thousands of trees were planted during the 1960s.

"It looked like a Christmas tree farm," said Libertyville-based golf course architect Rick Jacobson.

Various high-ranking members who agree with that statement quietly began a covert campaign to remove the trees. Eventually, the operation was discovered, however, prompting threats of lawsuits from members who wanted to keep the trees.

The trees, though, continued to fall. Much of the dissension evaporated when the rave reviews started to come in.

NBC analyst Johnny Miller believes Oakmont soon will be regarded as the No. 1 course in the country.

"As the trees started to come down, you could see the different views, and they're wonderful," Griffith said. "The bottom line is that everyone now is very much behind it. This is what Oakmont was designed to be."

Donald Ross, one of the game's great early architects, believed trees should be used as a backdrop to frame a hole. However, following an epidemic of Dutch elm disease in the 1960s, club officials reacted with a mass planting of new trees.

"There was a serious overplanting," Jacobson said. "People forget that trees aren't a static component. They continue to grow."

Several area clubs have brought in Jacobson to address their situations, including two designed by Ross: Oak Park Country Club and Bob O'Link. One of Jacobson's first tasks is to try to explain to members what needs to be done about the trees.

"People look at the beauty and majesty of trees, but they don't understand what they do to the golf course," Jacobson said.

Paul Richards

Re:Terry Lavin on trees and trim
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:15:17 AM »
 "I'm all for trees. We're trained to be stewards of the land, and trees are a part of it. But they shouldn't be allowed to negatively impact the golf course."

Medinah found the condition of its greens improved dramatically with the removal of several trees. But if the case for removing trees is compelling, many members typically react harshly, stopping just short of throwing their arms around the trees.

"They think the course is an arboretum," said Lavin, who also was on the committee that oversaw the removal of 1,000 trees at Beverly. "It gets insane at some point."

"It's such a politically charged issue," Jacobson said. "I haven't had a course where every tree isn't scrutinized to the nth degree. There's a tremendous amount of resistance."

Kris Bachtell, a horticulturalist for the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, has worked with Jacobson and other architects in assessing courses. In some instances, a tree might have to come down because it isn't healthy, or there might be a branch over a bunker or a cart path that poses an injury risk to golfers.

Too many trees of one species, meanwhile, can cause a problem if a disease hits.

"Does the tree have an inherent problem?" Bachtell said. "We try to make intelligent choices by removing problematic trees. The key is to have a master plan and the course committed to following that plan."

Jacobson says there is a plan. After completing a recent renovation at Oak Park Country Club, he said, "we couldn't believe how many trees were ready to fall over."

"We don't call it tree clearing," he said. "We call it tree management. We're not just coming in with chain saws and chippers."

Jacobson did rely on nature once to give him an assist. One club, whose identity he wouldn't reveal, initially was resistant to cutting down trees. Then a storm came through, taking out more than 100.

"They thought it was a disaster," Jacobson said. "But when we cleaned everything up, the members couldn't tell which trees we took down."

Jacobson said that usually is the pattern at the courses he has renovated. Resistance turns into acceptance, then approval.

"They're able to see views on their course they hadn't seen before," Jacobson said. "The turf is better, and the course plays more like it originally was intended to play.

"There is so much resistance up front, but when it is said and done, they can see the positive returns."

esherman@tribune.com

Dan Herrmann

Did the guys at Oakmont really cut the trees under cover of darkness?

Shoot - my course has very few trees on the course, but even thinning out the ones that were there have paid big dividends in terms of turf quality.

Didn't affect shot values per se because we had so few trees to start with.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:23:55 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Dan Kelly

I hope this piece is more accurate than its first two paragraphs. (It's "I think that I shall never see / A poem lovely as a tree." And:  Robert Duval is David's daddy; the actor -- one of the great actors of our time! how can both the writer and the copy editor not know how to spell his name? -- is Robert Duvall.)

And I really hope that the boys from NBC will RAVE about the opened-up Oakmont.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 09:15:13 AM by Dan Kelly™ »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

redanman

Gents

Take the time to read the HELP section.  Long url's are easy to post.

code  eliminating the asteriks (*):

[*url=http://whatever,you kuckleheads]LINK TO ARTICLE[/url*]

would yield a LINK that says

LINK TO ARTICLE.  Try it.  It is much easier than those tinyurl links

all you do is right click the address in your browser window and insert it into the first bracket where the vertical line is.

e.g.  [*url=|]

TRY IT!

BTW

WHERE THE HELL IS THE SOPRANOS THREAD?

tlavin

I DO love the smell of sawdust in the morning!  I was amused to be so prominently mentioned, but this is just one small example of how much the Oakmont tree choppers have helped the cause of thinning out overplanted golf courses around America.  I'm sure that the NBC crew will be quite complimentary about the new look Oakmont.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back