News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Pennard Golf Club by Sean Arble is posted....
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
... in the My Home Course section.

Pennard Golf Club, The Cliffs, The Castle, and The Club

Sean's passion for Pennard is shown through his superb images and well thought out and detailed text.

Tragically I have missed Pennard, during my brief time in Wales, but I hope to rectify that shortly. I have always thought Porthcawl was the pick of Welsh golf, but this piece gives me some pause.

For those who have seen both courses, how do you compare Royal Porthcawl and Pennard?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:09:53 PM by Ben_Dewar »

Philip Gawith

Re:Pennard Golf Club by Sean Arble is posted....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 05:30:23 PM »
Sean - that looks like a fantastic work of scholarship. Well done - too much to read at 10.15pm but I look forward to it.

I am pleased to confirm that the good looking, wedge brandishing, cigar puffing golfer on the 6th is none other than the distinguished Squire of Pennard himself - Sean!

It is serendipitous that this course profile should post at the same time as I posted pictures on Brora - two James Braid courses built on quite different bits of land, but in the same spirit. Truly golf at its best.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:33:06 PM »
Nice job, Sean! Good photos, too.

I was asked the very question Ben poses this past weekend. My answer was that, if pushed, I would choose Pennard over Porthcawl, but I'd hope not to be pushed. They are just apples and oranges...championship versus holiday golf.  As far as I can tell, though, these two are the class of the Welsh golf scene.

PS: I remember asking about Mike Bennett's collection of NFL hats. As of last fall, he was only missing two: those of the Buffalo Bills and the KC Chiefs. So if any partisans of those teams happen to be out on the Gower, bring Mr. Bennett a hat and I'm sure it'll be well and truly appreciated.

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:37:33 PM »
Fantastic stuff, Sean.  You deserve your own Pennard bunker.  

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:35:55 PM »
Classic stuff Sean, itwould appear that it should  be listed at a minimum as Briad/CK Cotton.

I hadn't got you down as a diciple of Mucci, but for those who don't know Pennard also features some of the best coastal views in golf.

Thanks for the games hopefully there'll be many more. Q. do you have a strategy on 14 beyond hit hard and hope to end up somewhere on the fairway?  The land is so undulating my eye can't settle on a spot to aim at.  I think it's a great hole becuase it makes me feel clueless over my first shot, second shot and ... last time my third shot was backwards from 40 yards beyond the green. ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
Well done Sean.  I can't wait to get back there.  I remember my one round there from 2004 as if it were yesterday.  Each hole is memorable and they fit together as a sum very well.  The welcome I received is second to none.  I don't blame you for your passion about the course.  The pictures make we want to get on a plane.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 07:51:34 PM »
Bravo!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:13:24 PM »
Unreal.

I haven't got around to reading yet, but the photos make Pennard look like it's perhaps the coolest course on the planet!

Thanks Sean; I look forward to the read later this evening.
jeffmingay.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:21:21 PM »
You've been holding back on us, Sean, or maybe I was just too dense to see through the ruse, all this, "Ah, I just wanna play golf, at a reasonable price and with a little money on the line. I'm no archie, and I'll leave all this sentimental archie talk to you archie-types and go watch a hockey game instead."

A really fine piece, Sean, on a simply lovely course. Thanks

Peter

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:45:32 PM »
"Joy" is the word that immediately springs to mind when recalling my one afternoon at Pennard. It's a course that makes you feel like a kid again.

Sean, is it true that Pennard members are challenged most when faced with a flat lie?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 11:47:35 PM »
Sean, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful job!

Dunlop_White

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 12:23:18 AM »
I love what I see. Simply gorgeous! Many thanks for sharing, Sean.

Mark_F

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 12:36:22 AM »
Fantastic stuff, Sean.

I'll be putting Pennard on the play list next trip for sure, and visiting Wales again wasn't part of my so far nascent plans.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 12:39:12 AM »
Great work Sean! I agree that a bunker or feature should honor you. Thanks for taking me there. Someday in person...
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tony Ristola

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 04:41:30 AM »
 :o Posted on the wrong thread
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 04:47:22 AM by Tony Ristola »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 05:37:42 AM »
Great stuff, Sean.  The third duty of a golf course is to be FUN!, and it looks like Pennard is just that, in spades.  Maybe I'll get to find out for myself in a couple of weeks.

PS--The water tower looks like it might be the one that was at NGLA before they decided to replace it with a faux windmill.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »
Great stuff Sean, that piece really comes across as a labour of love.

One of these days I really must find the time to get down there and have a game with you.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back