News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Chicago
« on: February 20, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »
I'm going to be in Chicago for a conference at the very end of April/first week in May (arriving 28 April,leaving 3 May). If I get some free time one evening are there any GCAers in Chicago who might fancy meeting for a beer or a bite to eat?  I was also wondering if there were any publicaccess coursesyou guys could recommend in the area.  I will have a hire car as I've got to visit a client in Indianapolis on one day. I looked at Cog Hill, is that the best bet?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:57:17 PM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

tlavin

Re:Chicago
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
I'd be happy to take you out to Olympia Fields which would be more pleasant than Cog Hill.  Send me an IM and we'll work on details.

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »
I would offer up Medinah but the #3 course doen't open until the second week in May.

C. Squier

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:19 PM »
I'd be happy to take you out to Olympia Fields which would be more pleasant than Cog Hill.  Send me an IM and we'll work on details.

If you need a 3rd, count me in......I still need to meet my alley-mate :)

Mark, if you have time for golf in Indy, I'd be happy to follow you down for a round at Wolf Run too.

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
lunch or dinner will work.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »
This might be hacking this thread a bit, but...

Us Chicago GCA guys should try and get together as a group from time to time. Doesn't have to be for golf, I have never had a problem talking golf over beers.

Hope everyone is holding up through this long winter!

Pat
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »
Dinner sounds good.  Snow should be gone and the grass growing once again by the time you come.  If you need a course between Chicago and Indy I'd try Harrison Hills in Attica, Indiana.  An original Langford Moreau 9 added to by Tim Liddy.  See Ran's review on this site.  A little off the direct route, but not too bad.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »
I'm going to be in Chicago for a conference at the very end of April/first week in May (arriving 28 April,leaving 3 May). If I get some free time one evening are there any GCAers in Chicago who might fancy meeting for a beer or a bite to eat?  

Its looking like I will have a chance to make a return to the midwest September 10-14 for a conference in downtown Chicago and wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone would be interested in dinner sometime that week (conference schedule permitting). I'm going to spend most of my other free time on the weekends before/after in South Bend, but will likely have time for one/two rounds in Chicago if anyone would like to play. I'm not looking for access...although a good deal on a public course would be a appreciated if there is such a thing! :)

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:04:06 PM »
Andy - if I'm available a meal would be great
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Colton

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »

Us Chicago GCA guys should try and get together as a group from time to time. Doesn't have to be for golf, I have never had a problem talking golf over beers.

Pat

I'm a Chicago guy and would enjoy getting together with other GCA'ers, ideally with golf involved.

Also interested in hearing how Mark's trip to the Windy City was.  Where'd you end up playing?  How'd it go?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 05:23:44 AM »
Seek out Wolf Run while you're in Indy and spend an extra day and drive down to Victoria National, Cog Hill was always my favorite course in Chicago, access to Chicago Golf is very difficult.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Troeger

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 09:04:14 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I will bump the thread back up eventually (once I'm actually signed up for the conference and kind of know my anticipated schedule. If anyone else is interested go ahead and keep responding.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »

Pat

I'm a Chicago guy and would enjoy getting together with other GCA'ers, ideally with golf involved.

Also interested in hearing how Mark's trip to the Windy City was.  Where'd you end up playing?  How'd it go?
I was very fortunate to be Terry's guest at Olympia Fields. What a great day.  The first experience of private golf, States-style for me.  I loved the course and was fascinated to have some of the changes that had been made for the US Open in '03.  I have to say that my opinion of parkland golf changed significantly with this experience.  

I'd never visited Chicago before and loved the city.  Some great architecture, a real buzz to the place without the frantic feel of New York.  I'm glad the weather was good, though!

I also got to play Wolf Run before returning.  Another fascinating course, though more playable than perhaps I'd expected (2s at 13 and 16 helped the card along!).  A great
day's golf but not the experience that OF provided.  

Overall,two very enjoyable rounds.  The highlight of both days, has to be the hospitality shown to me by my hosts.  My appetite for golf in the US has certainly been whetted by this trip.  
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Josh_Lesnik

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 12:57:13 AM »
I know I'm just a lowly newbie, but I'll throw this out there...

Would the Chicago GCA'ers like to get together for a round at Jackson Park Golf Course?  I'd be glad to organize the tee times for us and a lunch after.  

I know you guys get to play at great places all over the world -- But Jackson Park is worth seeing if you have never seen it or have not in a while.  It's over 100 years old and pretty darn fun to play.  Its affordable, City golf.  A low key place for a casual golf gathering.

I like July 9th, morning tee times (I need to make sure we don't have an event going on that day).

Any interest?

Josh

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 01:12:18 AM »
I highly suggest you take him up on this....

SL_Solow

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »
Josh;  Work permitting I'm in

Brad Swanson

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 06:00:27 PM »
Depending on dates and such, I might be interested in heading down to Chicago from Madison for a gathering of GCAers.

Cheers,
Brad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back