News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Name of a Pennsylvania course
« on: May 22, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
I played at a course in Pennsylvania a few years ago that was built on an old estate and I cannot recall the name. I forget the story, but one architect started the work, but something happened and someone else finished it. The logo was a pink cartoonish looking dog if I remember correctly. Does anyone know the name of this course?
Mr Hurricane

Jason Mandel

Re:Name of a Pennsylvania course
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
Bellewood near pottstown, i believe mike piazza and or his father vince now own the place...

front nine is pretty good, back nine is a little screwy.  all in all a good place for a round, and because of location they have had a hard time getting members..

forget who the architect who finished it was, or the one who started it for that matter..

http://www.bellewoodgolf.com/page/default.asp

looks like they changed the log...

jason
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:08:00 PM by Jason Mandel »
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »
I like the old logo better. Thanks Jason.
Mr Hurricane

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Fazio either looked at it and took a pass, or started the work and did not finish.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »
I played Bellewood when it opened and bought a shirt with the logo on it.  I wear it about as often as I wear the shirt from Stonewall with a cow holding a golf club in its teeth.  Like Stonewall the course is better than the logo.  I haven't thought about the course in years but remember the par threes very well and they have a couple of short par fours that are very good and fun.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »
A very interesting course not too far from Stonewall and French Creek. I've played there a few times. Tom Fazio did the routing    for the Piazza's but  backed out of the design because of too much business elsewhere, so the story goes. The Piazza's were left with a course where they could not market the Fazio name and consequently membership never took off. They have now dropped the amount of the membership deposit according to the website.

The first 14 holes and the 18th are on the clubhouse side of the property are pretty good. The 15th to 17th on the other side of the road are pigeonholed and contrived.

Here's an excerpt from an article from a few years ago identifying the architect as Tom Drauschak. He may have been involved in the construction  of French Creek or Stonewall.

www.golfonline.com/golfonline/features/18holeswith/article/0,17742,704024-1,00.html

For membership at Bellewood -- which Piazza co-owns with his dad, Vince, and a family friend -- he charges $25,000. (Too rich for your blood? Greens fees at public Westover Golf Club, the Piazzas' golf property in nearby Norristown, Pennsylvania, run $49). The views alone might make you reach for your wallet. Piazza, 35, fell in love with Bellewood's 200 acres of forest and farmland long before buying the property in 1998 for $15 million. When he was a child, his mother, Veronica, took her five sons for Sunday drives amid the area's sylvan splendor. After Tom Fazio devised the routing, Piazza made certain that course architect Tom Drauschak preserved the 3,000 pink dogwoods that dot the grounds. He also wanted an elevated tee on the 389-yard, par-4 1st hole, to give players a better view of the landing area, which is barely bigger than a Hula-Hoop. "There are plenty of armchair architects, but Mike's different," says Drauschak. "He spent a lot of time in the field and had some helpful suggestions."
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

redanman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:04:06 PM »
It has about 12-14 holes worth playing and the rest you can just drink to forget.

Steve, very interesting is kind, but then again you did play at Talamore at Oak Terrace for a while.  Sorry, Bud, I just had to - the Tequila made me type it.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
Bill,

I am still a social member at Talamore by virtue of my home ownership. This entitles me to 6 rounds per year that I rarely use. ;D I think Bellewood is much more interesting than Talamore, not that that's saying much.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

redanman

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
SS

I just played it again in a GAP challenge match and I won 4 1/4 points away there while my whole team got drubbed.  ;D

Therefore, I don't think slightly of Talamore because I can't play it. 8)  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
Interesting trivia about Bellewood.  The clubhouse is a former mansion owned by a guy that used to make all the underwear that Sears sold nationwide - back in the 50's and 60's.  

This guy also used to own the Pottstown Firebirds, a semi-pro football team that was featured in an NFL Films documenterary from the early 1970's.  

Turns out the mansion served as the backdrop for an interview with the owner for the film.  I laughed when I saw it on the NFL Network, because I only knew it as a clubhouse.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 11:55:29 AM »
 I played it a few times a few years ago and found it enjoyable except for the unplayable rough grass. They had a local rule to just drop it outside of the grass and take a one shot penalty. That was grand! Plus I lost a few balls. I hope they have changed this.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back