News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Sneddon

Bloomfield Hills CC, MI
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »
I'm playing the Qualifier for the US Sr Am there, and other than the course yardage of 6500-odd and a slope of 125, there deost seem to be too much info.  I do know it is a Ross 1926 design, probably built when he did Essex over the river in Windsor.

I'll be playing a practice round prior to the event, but would appreciate some more detailed info.

TIA
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Mike Boehm

Re:Bloomfield Hills CC, MI
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »
David -

I spent 9 years caddying at BHCC.  A 12 hole course was originally done by Bendelow in 1909 and then Colt laid out the 18 hole course in 1912.  This course was redesigned by Donald Ross in 1936.  By the time you play there, they will have finished extending a handful of tees to get the total yardage just over 6700 yards.  The most significant change being the addition of ~ 40 yards to #18 to make it a 540 yard par 5.  This will bring fairway bunkers back into play, but this is still probably the easiest hole on the course - just not as easily reachable.

There is very little trouble on the course.  Three holes have OB left that is in play (3, 4 and 6).  Of these holes, #6 is the most dangerous.  It is 404 yards with a tee shot that plays downhills, trees right and OB left.  The approach is sharply uphill (at least an extra club here).  For the most part, I bang driver around this course, but on #6, I recommend hitting your 200-220 club off the tee and accepting a longer approach.  

There is only one water hazard in play on the golf course, which is protecting the last 100 yards of the par 5 8th.

If they grow up the rough for the qualifier, it can be quite thick, however, the club generally keeps it fairly short to keep the members' spirits up I suppose.

The greens are quite subtle for a Ross design - mainly back-to-front sloping and very few wild undulations within them.  If at all possible, avoid being above the hole on 2, 9, 15 and 17.  Much better to chip up from short of 2 or 9 than go over the back of these greens.  Actually, I'd also rather be in the front bunkers on 15 and 17 than over these greens as well.

The two shortest par 4's (7 and 15) are the most heavily bunkered holes on the course.  On 15 (305) if the pin is middle or back, I'll hit driver off the tee.  If the pin is up, driver puts me too close to the green to get enough spin and I'll lay back to 100 yards or so to get more spin on the approach.

16 is the most difficult hole on the back side.  465 par 4 - drive to the top of a hill for a blind approach that is a club to club-and-a-half downhill.  Favor the right side of the fairway on this hole as from the left side of the fairway you may be partially blocked by trees.

Good luck out there - let me know if you have any other questions about the course.  I hope it treats you well.

Oh - one final note - the road that runs to the left of 7 and 8 is said to be the wealthiest street in Michigan.  Some of the homes on those holes will blow your mind.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 05:35:56 PM by mjboehm »

David Sneddon

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »
Thanks Mike!!  Very much appreciated.

Don't like the idea of trouble left - my downfall is my hook!! :-)

Played Tam O'Shanter last year, and it was the only course I've ever played that demanded a fade on damn near every par 4 and 5.

I'll print your post and carry it with me.

Thanks again.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »
Your favorite club will be the tree-iron.

Actually, it's a very nice course, underneath all the trees.  Just don't try to go in the clubhouse - unless you can produce a blue-blood sample, of course.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back