News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Diagonal bunkers
« on: May 01, 2007, 02:34:23 PM »
Rich's account of Southerndown and its occasional use of diagonal cross-bunkers was timely.  I played Northumberland last week and there were several sets there.  What a good hazard these can be!  The same set of bunkers, if sufficiently staggered, can come into play for players of considerably different power.  

Ken Moum

Re:Diagonal bunkers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »
The 10th at Apache Stronghold is a good example I've played recently.

It even allows for playing short of the bunker line and then taking a strategic second shot for those who might not be able to reach in two.

http://www.golfapache.com/partners/00084/facilities/47/courses/53/holes/663/Apache_Hole_10c.jpg

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:30:45 PM »
There was a lot of talk in the 20's about "double diagonals."

I think what they were talking about (it's not entirely clear) was two diagonal bunkers at different points on a hole that ran in prependicular directions.

Take the diagonal bunker on the 16th at PVGC that you carry from the tee. The notion was that the hole would be improved if there was a second diagonal bunker set at the opposite angle in front of the green. That was Crane's idea as to how the hole ought to be improved.

J.H. Taylor also touted the double diagonal.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:35:10 PM »
They certainly seem to address the distance issue in an architectural perspective.

Will more of them be visible in new designs ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back