News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Gayne

100th US Am at Newport
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:57:27 PM »
I'm watching the highlights of the Am from Newport CC and it's fascinating. A links like golf course dried out with out irrigation. A young Tiger versus 43 year old Buddy Marucci. This years Walker Cup captain. ;D

K. Krahenbuhl

Re:100th US Am at Newport
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »
What a fun match to watch.  I'm glad that I caught that one with tivo.  A wonderful looking golf course playing very firm and a couple of great performances by Marucci and the young Tiger.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:46:38 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »
I forgot how well Marucci putted down the stretch. I've played a lot of golf with him over the years and it was incredible to see how worn out he was. His swing was just unusually short and basically gone but he hung in there somehow. Marucci could be about the smartest game plan strategy manager I've ever seen.

Here's some trivia for you on that Centennial US Amateur and Marucci. He played more holes in that Amateur than any other golfer ever has in a US Amateur.

Also ten years after the tournament someone interviewed him as to his remembrances of that tournament. Marucci had never gone close to that far in a US Amateur and he said the salient thing for him at Newport because of that was that as the tournament wore on into the finals things got lonier and lonier. The interviewer asked how that could be and Marucci said because as it wore on to the finals all his fellow competitor friends were gone.

I guess those who've never made it to the finals of the US Amateur never would've thought of something like that.

As for the way Newport CC looked and played, well that sure was remarkable too. Some would probably call the course shabby looking, but that's the way it could be with the seasons in the old days. And if Newport CC looks like and represents anything, it represents the "old days"  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:46:56 AM by TEPaul »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »

Also ten years after the tournament someone interviewed him as to his remembrances of that tournament. Marucci had never gone close to that far in a US Amateur and he said the salient thing for him at Newport because of that was that as the tournament wore on into the finals things got lonier and lonier. The interviewer asked how that could be and Marucci said because as it wore on to the finals all his fellow competitor friends were gone.

I guess those who've never made it to the finals of the US Amateur never would've thought of something like that.

Tom,
   With the dominance of the US Am by young hot-shot players, they won't likely feel lonely because they have their entourage with them (coach/psychologist/family/spiritual advisor/physical therapist, etc).  The match I remember more than any in that particular AM was Tiger vs another older guy with a really unorthodox swing (he reminded me a little of Craig Stadler).  I was just happy to see that players that were actually old enough to legally enjoy an alcoholic beverage were advancing beyond stroke play for a change.  Might have been a testament to the nature of Newport CC and its lack of extreme length.

Cheers,
Brad

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:01:21 PM »
Brad:

While the young micro-managed phenoms may've dominated the US Amateurs in recent times and will obviously continue to do so more in the future there have been some unique exceptions in the recent past.

The guy you're talking about in the Newport Amateur is Plummer from Maine, and he certainly was unusual in a lot of ways although that was not the first time he did well.

Then there was Danny Green from Tennessee who's pretty unusual in a lot of ways who lost in the finals of the US Am at Merion to Chris Perry who was pretty unusual too as he weighed close to 400 pounds and he won that Amateur in some really hot weather.

My Dad was right when he said don't ever try to judge how good a golfer is by just looking at him.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:02:53 PM by TEPaul »

michael j fay

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »
I have had the pleasure of laying Newport CC a couple of times a year for the past ten years or so.

It may be the best golf corse in New England. Great mix of holes, wonderful undulating greens and probably the best bunkering I have seen anywhere.

Like all other courses Newport can favor the long hitter, but it is not a course that is easily over-powered. The hard fairways (no irrigation) can pitch a slightly mishit drive into the morass of high grass with underlying fussy rough. The greens are difficult to hold with a well-struck shot from the fairway, impossible from the undergrowth.

You can hit the heroic shot at Newport and be rewarded. To play a superior game you must attempt the heroic. You must also know when to take yor medicine.

Marucci lost his legs in the second round of the final day. You can tell by the film that he was playing on guts and instinct. He put on a great show to take Tiger to # 36 in the final, it was a marvelous effort.

To give away 60 yards off the tee and 24 years to the greatest player in the world and still be standing at the end is truly heroic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back