News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Bedford Springs Update - Now with Pictures
« on: April 27, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
I got out to Bedford Springs Resort today as we had to measure it in preparation for a Course Rating.  The course is scheduled to open some time in the summer, possibly around 7/1.  They were hoping to get it earlier but the cool spring has hurt the grow in.

The newly redone course looks great, although I'd have to say that with the different colors of grass on the fairways and rough it does look more like a new course than an old one.  The bunkers are quite deep with flat bottoms and grassy faces.

The original routing has supposedly been restored.  Here are the changes from the previous routing:

New   Previous   Par
1        1           4
2      14          3
3      15          5
4      16          3
5        5           5
6        6           4
7        7           4
8        8           4
9        9           5
10      10          3
11      11          4
12      12          4
13      13          4
14        2           3
15        3           4
16      18          5
17    New         3
18    New         4

Gone are the old 4th and 17th holes, which were both par 4s.  With these changes the par is now 72 (previously 73).  The yardage has gone from 7003 yards to around 6800.

The new 18th hole is where the driving range was and the old 4th hole will be the new driving range.  The 17th is a par 3 that goes back away the hotel along the side of a ridge above the valley.  The old 17th is gone.  Its green is still there but the fairway is gone as the creek has been widened throughout the course to provide better flood control and in that area it took much of the old fairway.  If you were there before and saw the old

The new creek looks much more natural than the old channeled one.  They have done a wonderful job of improving the drainage at the course and the new creek allows them to drain a lot more water away instead of flooding the course as it did in the past.

I have a few pictures that I'll try to post later this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:15:49 AM by John Vander Borght »

Geoffrey Childs

Re:Bedford Springs Update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »
John

I'm looking forward to your pictures and a review.

I know that Ron Forse is pretty excited about the work they did at the resort.  It looks to be a pretty extensive upgrade for the entire facility.

JNagle

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »
John -

"The original routing has supposedly been restored.  Here are the changes from the previous routing:"

The routing that was restored is the 1923 course routing that would include a predominance of holes by Ross with others by Tillinghast and Oldham.  The 17th hole has been reinstated.  From the onset of the project the Owner desired a routing similar to 1923.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 12:22:24 AM »
John -- trivial point of clarification.  By my count, par is now 71 (and used to be 72).  There are 5 par 3's, 4 par 5's, and the rest par 4's.  

JNagle

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:27:40 AM »
Actually the 13th (old and new) is a par 5.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
Correct, 13 is a par 5.  My error in typing from memory and in a hurry.

JohnV

Re:Bedford Springs Update - With pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »
Sorry to be so slow, but here are the pictures I promised.

#1 - just over 300 yard starting hole:

#4 - The volcano hole par 3 (was 14 before)

#6 - The most tree lined hole on the course just over 400 yards

#18 - New hole to old green location about 380 yards.  Note the rebuilt resort under construction (that is less than 1/2 of it)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back