News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

A study of Wallasey's routing is posted...
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »
...under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

All of us who played there during the GolfClubAtlas.com autumn gathering last year were delighted to have done so. Somebody even told me afterwards that they preferred it to Hoylake, which was puzzling to hear as both the flat and dunes holes at Hoylake are clearly superior. Indeed, the comment probably just bears out the natural affinity people feel toward big dunes - and Wallasey has them like few others. The way its routing comes in and out of them is quite clever and was the highlight of the round. Interestingly enough, no single architect deserves the credit for today's routing.

Wallsasey would probably be the second finest course in North Carolina. Yet, within England, I think it misses out on the smaller, rippling undulations that lend themselves to better golf than its own massive dunes. For instance, Silloth on Solway up the coast with its smaller, more unique landforms gets the nod, at least for me. Nonetheless, I sure wish Wallasey was closer, say along the coast of North Carolina!

As it is, the golf riches found along the coasts of Lancashire and Cheshire seem to take the spotlight off Wallasey. Improvements are occuring to the dull holes in the flats though, so be sure to include this course next time you're in the Liverpool area.

Cheers,

Bill_McBride

Re:A study of Wallasey's routing is posted...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »
Ran, are they adding bunkers to juice up some of the more pedestrian holes Sean refers to?  I'm thinking of that very plain par 5 along the boundary (#7?) and the preceding par 4, although that hole had a nifty bunkering scheme.  #10, what can you say about a hole that bad except that it gets you back up into the dunes?  i would think more fondly of that strong par 4 #17 except for the dog's porridge I made of it in blowing a won match to Nick Leefe......... :P

I haven't played all the other good stuff in that neighborhood, but I really found Wallasey to be a fit companion and great complement to Hoylake.  I particularly appreciated the love and respect shown for Bob Jones at both clubs, with their wonderful oil paintings and the great stories of his qualifying at Wallasey and Hoylake and victory over the greatest professionals of the day at Hoylake during the Grand Slam.

That was a great trip indeed...... 8)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:18:53 PM »
Ran...what would be the finest in Carolina?  I vote the road.

***cue singing:  Nothing would be finer than to be in Carolina in the mooooorning***

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
Nice write up, Ran.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 04:36:29 PM »
Thanks for reminding us of the pleasures of Wallasey Ran...home to the famous Bobby Jones portrait and scene of famous Buda Cup victory for handsome bunch of Euro golfers.  

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »
Ran,
I wonder if the dunes holes at Wallesey are inferior to those at Hoylake - although the holes on the flat ground make Hoylake a clear favorite. Nr 7 at Wallesey was so poor that it diminished its neighbors. Surely some improvement could be easily done there.

I remember the turf at Hoylake being superb, much better than Wallesey's. The rain was so variable those days that perhaps Wallesey took on much more.

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »
Some old pics.  The routing must have changed since then.

Labeled as 15 but now 16,  you can just make out where the bunker was filled in Ran's pic in the profile:

This one is labeled as the 7th.  Is it still there?  Green looks a bit like the 15th but there's too much dead ground.

3rd

12th

Labeled as the 10th...?

18th

can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »
Paul, the hole labeled "10" certainly looks like the current 11th.

The other hole is definitely not the 7th, which is flat and pretty featureless, with OB all down the right side of a par 5.

18 is pretty cool with the big clubhouse behind!  That church is across the street.  They dragged Bob Jones up into the steeple to see the stained glass window!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:30:04 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back