News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

Report from The Cascades Course at The Homestead
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »
I walked William Flynn's Cascades Course twice last week i.e. the entire length from tee-to-green-to-tee........

Some impressions (apologies to those who've not played it and don't know the holes):

First, any good routing on and around a mountain deserves applause as I think that's the most challenging terrain to build multiple good golf holes.  On flat ground you can move as much earth as the budget allows (e.g. Shadow Creek).  It's kind of tough to flatten an annoying mountain.  Flynn has certainly built some really good holes on some mighty challenging topography.

Second, because it's a resort course, it just can't be as challenging in terms of bunkering as the green complexes would otherwise invite.  I was somewhat reminded of the Old White course at the nearby Greenbrier - which is real dumbed-down Macdonald for commercial purposes.  The Cascades' greens are more challenging than that but very few of the bunkers are really deep enough to be called penal.  The exceptions are those built into a hillside green - of which there are several excellent examples.  If Flynn had built the Cascades for a private club - now THAT would have been something!

Third, perhaps because of the above, I was not at all reminded of Rolling Green, Lancaster CC or Philadelphia CC and would never have made the connection if I hadn't known it in advance.  Even Indian Creek has 2 green complexes that are similar to something at Shinnecock - I couldn't find anything like that at The Cascades.

Fourth, I was expecting all kinds of grain away from the mountain (think Baltusrol) with lightening fast putts going that way.  The pro said it doesn't happen because there are mountains all the way around the course and they seem to cancel out.

Fifth, the Cascades is one tough mother course to walk!  They haven't built many steps on the steep parts to make any easier, either.  I don't normally prefer a cart to walking but I sure do there.  Even the flat bellies carrying their own bags in the NCAA Championship there must have gotten worn out.

Sixth, as a demonstration of how I haven't paid enough attention to GCA posts on the subject, imagine my surprise when I discovered that the 18th hole is a par 3 - and a pretty good one at that.

The 2 holes that caught my attention were #'s 4 and 12 (the signature hole)  #4 is such an obviously strategic par 3 where long/left = reload but short/right is a bailout spot with a chance at an up & down par.  It's sort of Redan-ish in it's strategy but looks nothing like any of them.  I learned afterwards that #12 is the "signature hole" - probably because of the quasi-Principal's Nose bunker complex about 100 yards short of the green that appears more photogenic than strategically important.  My favorite stretch of holes was 11-13.  #5 is a good par 5 that reminded me of an inland version of #6 at Pebble Beach with it's blind uphill second shot that is essential for setting up the approach.

For a mountain resort course, I was mightily impressed although I think The Broadmoor is at least an equal.

I don't know if the Cascades is (or was) the best course in Virginia, but I can see why the USGA likes to go there.  The Homestead is building a permanent practice facility next to the 17th hole in order to get another "amateur major".

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Report from The Cascades Course at The Homestead
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 09:30:27 PM »
The first time I played the Cascades I coud not figure out what the big deal was.  The more you play it the more its subtleties become clear.  It starts strong and just gets stronger.  I I havae one negative comment I just am not crazy about the last three hole.   It is not that they are bad.  They are good holes.  I just don't like them as finishing holes.

I don't think, given the land, the routing could be any better.  It is a wonderful place to play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »
I would have liked to have seen original plans when I last went around it. I wonder how much has been dumbed down over the last 80 years. My impression of course construction in that time was that they didn't build dumbed down courses for the client's. I have to look it up but I think that it was designed as a championship course and hosted more than a few. The Ross was used as the Sporty course.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:57:53 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:17:25 PM »
If I recall properly, the last 2 or 3 holes didn't fit and appeared to be altered, but overall, it is an excellent course that I would like to play many times.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back