News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Patterns when cutting fairways
« on: April 11, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »
I have noticed how many different patterns there are after fairways are cut and I was wondering if there is a reason for the designs that are created.  Are they the result of a need to cut the fairways in a certain manner or are they being done simply for appearance?  To me, some of them seem to be so busy that they severely detract from the design of the hole.

Joe Hancock

Re:Patterns when cutting fairways
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:00:35 PM »
Way too often, it's done for appearance. Not only that, but rough mowers are now on the market with a selling point of superior striping capabilities. It's all too much for my eye. I see a lot of tees with the stripes "burned in" too......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:12:59 PM »
I saw one fairway that was cut in diamond shapes...i.e., the biggest outder diamond contained progressively smaller ones...building to a crescendo ::) where the center of all the diamonds was the middle of the fairway ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:13:14 PM by Paul Thomas »
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:34:54 PM »
Jerry,

Most courses do it to spread our wear from turning fairway mowers. That's usually the reason behind most checkerboard patterns.

I prefer the "up and back" or "shaded" approach.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:17:15 AM »
Jerry,

as Kyle says it is done to spread wear and tear caused by the machines. However if the operator has a little feel for what he is doing he can reduce the wear caused significantly.

I am also with Kyle about straight striping or half/half being m prefered method.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 06:04:41 AM »
I perfer mowing patterns side to side or if it were a clock, 9-3. This way standing on the tee, you see no stripes. It take a little longer because of all the turning, but it doesn't look busy from the tee.
Jerry,
  A big reason that is being left out is to get the best possible cut. Thats a big reason that the mowing pattern is changed most every time fairways are mowed, especially with bermudagrass. The grass begins to just lay over when it's mowed in the same direction time after time and you don't get a good cut.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 06:49:07 AM »
Tony - I'll be playing Long Cove this Sat and Sun while not out at the tournament.  I'm a guest of Ted Janeczek.  Come find us, I'd like to introduce myself.

Jonathan Cummings

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
Anthony: I just was looking at photos of some very interesting holes and the designs in the fairways made it very difficult to see some of the features of the holes.  I am guessing that most designers prefer not to see the intricate patterns created by the mowers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back