News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Bearden

Cleveland Ohio Golf
« on: March 26, 2007, 04:53:27 PM »
Growing up there I was fortunate that my father was a member of The Country Club and Pepper Pike and my stepfather was a member of Kirtland Country Club. I really liked all three all were so different, obviously, but I think the variable that a lot of people don't take into account is the weather. I like KCC alot but in the middle of summer the heat on the back 9 was unbearable and I just hated it, but mom and my stepdad said I should go with them then I got my drvers license and car and could get away..

My favorite memory of TCC was when I was about 10 or 11 and was walking of the practice tee and went by an enclosed porch. My father called out and told me to come in. He was having lunch with someone else znd he said "son I'd like you to meet Gary Player". Boy was that exciting for a kid that age.

What do know about those clubs and think about them and what changes have been made in the last 25 or so years.

Phil McDade

Re:Cleveland Ohio Golf
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
Jim:

I, too, grew up in northeastern Ohio, in the Cleveland suburbs, and used to live about 15 minutes from both of the Pepper Pike courses. When we drove by, my Dad would always say: "Need A LOT of money to play there." Never played, alas.

Wayne Morrison, frequent poster here, knows a lot about the design of (I think) The Country Club, which was designed by Flynn. I believe PPike was Colt and Alison, while Kirtland may have been an Alison only. Wayne may pipe up here; he knows a lot about one or all of them.

wsmorrison

Re:Cleveland Ohio Golf
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
Thanks, Phil.  Flynn designed three courses in the Cleveland area and, as an aside, designed a course for Cleveland area developers in Florida called Cleveland Heights and a private course for JD Rockefeller at his estate in Pocantico Hills, NY.  Rockefeller spent many of his formative years in Cleveland.  The three courses are the Pepper Pike Club (1024), Elyria CC (1925) and The Country Club (1930).  Elyria has been changed and undergone a beautification program.  The Country Club and Pepper Pike Club are very similar to the original designs.  All the original drawings exist for the three clubs.  The Country Club drawings show a series iterations indicating very small changes Flynn was evolving on paper also demonstrating that Flynn's drawings were built to scale and meant to be followed exactly.  I was very impressed with TCC and think the 15th and especially the 17th are among his very best holes.  The 17th is one of the country's great short par 4s.  The club had some IMG guys restore the course a few years ago.  It may not be well known but it should be.  Pepper Pike Club, literally next door is the men's club in town.  It has a wonderful course on a bit more topography with a beautiful clubhouse.  It is a nice complement to the more demanding Country with many common members between the two clubs.  If there's anything specific you would like to know, just drop me a line.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back