News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Canada - what was there before Thompson?
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 10:43:12 PM »
To clarify, the "official" Royals have a charter from Her Majesty, or one of Her predecessors.  The fake Royals just think it is good marketing to have Royal in their name - i.e. Royal Woodbine and Royal Ashburn in the Toronto area are two.

How do folks feel about existing courses adding Royal to their name - generally this is how it works but is it considered pretentious in this day and age?

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Canada - what was there before Thompson?
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 11:05:43 PM »
Wayne,

In the past it seems there was always a good reason to add an official Royal prefix to a golf club. Take Colwood for example. I understand someone from the Royal family (can't recall who) frequented the club for many years, during trips to Canada. That person liked Colwood enough to designated it an official Royal club.

Royal Mayfair?! I don't get it, but hope there's a reason that makes sense of the recent Royal designation there.

Funny, my home club, Essex, in Windsor, Ontario's 100th anniversary took place in 2002. Someone at the club suggested the club request a Royal Essex desgination. That was met with a logical, "why?" There's absolutely no reason for Essex Golf and Country Club to be designated Royal. Again, Colwood's makes sense.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back