News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Can a Great Course be Easy?
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:36:03 PM »
Can a great course be easy?

My own opinion is there's something wrong with a course if a good player can't shoot 66 on it, but 76 could appear just as quickly.

A great course can give up good scores, just not that easily (although most 66's appear easy).

Is this a valid opinion?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tom_Doak

Re:Can a Great Course be Easy?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
Padraig:

I used to agree with that, but no longer, if you mean that you want 76 by Tour pro level players to appear "just as quickly".  If Tour pros are shooting 76 as often as 66, the course is too tough for anybody else.

If a scratch player is your barometer, I'm fine with that.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
Tom Doak,

Didn't you or someone else state that Mike Keiser envisioned Bandon Dunes in the context of a viable product for the retail golfer ?

If so, isn't that the target market the golf courses are designed for, and not for the PGA Tour Pro.

How many golf courses are commissioned with the primary goal of challenging the greatest golfers in the world, the PGA Tour Pro ?

I would suspect very few.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Patrick:

The answer to your last question is, unfortunately, way too many.  There are lots of developers who start off wanting a "great" course for that level of player without understanding what they are asking for ... and there are relatively few golf architects who want to jeopardize their relationship with a client at the early stage by questioning the logic of their opening statements.

Plus, just think about how many modern golf courses are designed by PGA Tour pros, few of whom are able to dismiss their own importance in the overall scheme of things.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:17:54 PM by Tom_Doak »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »
A question that I hope isn't too far off-topic.

Historically speaking, at what point did the "retail golfer" (by whatever name he/she went by) become an important guide and barometer for golf architecture and design?

In other words, was there a time when just about every designer would've said "there's something wrong with a course if a good player can't shoot 66 on it, but have a 76 could appear just as quickly"?

If there was, what changed?

Thanks
Peter

JESII

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 07:05:48 PM »

Historically speaking, at what point did the "retail golfer" (by whatever name he/she went by) become an important guide and barometer for golf architecture and design?

When it became a commodity as opposed to a sport...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:11:53 PM »
Both Pebble and Cypress are easier than Spyglass, and I prefer them as I think most do.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:14:03 PM »
Can a great course be easy?

My own opinion is there's something wrong with a course if a good player can't shoot 66 on it, but 76 could appear just as quickly.

A great course can give up good scores, just not that easily (although most 66's appear easy).

Is this a valid opinion?

Padraig
If a good player can't shoot a 66, but a 76 could appear just as quickly, just a quickly being not at all if he can't do it, then the good player can't shoot a 76 either...

I'm not being facetioius here. I just don't understand the question.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
KBM and I agreed today that TOC can be a very easy golf course.

Pause for dramatic effect. Sounds of breath drawn between teeth and muttering off stage left.

We did go on to debate the effects of WEATHER upon the outcome of our golfing efforts on the links.

Our joint decision? The wind doth blowe and the golf doth suffereth. Maybe what actually makes the links special is the uncertainty, the uncontrollable and the unpredictable.

Bring it on this week!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »
Llyod

I'm talking about the range of scores that would be shot by a good player.

On great courses the range is wider then on average courses, on a great course playing well will lead to scores under 70 but playing poorly will lead to 80 or higher.

On an average course poor play does not normally lead to 80 or higher.

Did I explain it better?

Is this characteristic achievable?
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 09:19:53 PM »
I wouldn't put numbers to the answer to this question. What I would do is put a scoring spectrum on the question. Maidstone, I believe, is a golf course with a wide scoring spectrum---eg because of the scoring spectrum result of wind or lack of it. I doubt a tour pro would shoot a 76 on it in the worst of conditions but what he would shoot in the worst of conditions would probably have a very wide scoring spectrum from what he would shoot if the course was very tame.

To me that's sort of what it's all about.

Whether it's a hole or a whole golf course I think you will find that a wide scoring spectrum is what quality and interest is all about in a golf course---eg architecture.

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »
 8)

yes definitely.. keep it in play and not take yourself out of holes.. and with a healthy dose of course local knowledge.. hell,..  I shot a 77 at TOC first time.. it didn't hurt to walk the course on sunday, study the topo at the museum, and devour the yardage book before going to sleep the night before.. oh, and only have 12-15 mph winds at play..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 09:45:25 PM »
Padraig
If this is a theory that you are proposing, I'm not a goood enough player to use my experience to comment. But if there is a vague logical IF THEN to be had,  would Tiger's performance at Bay Hill suggest that the course is great?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 11:07:36 PM »
Llyod

The logic might be that every great course has a wide scoring specturm but a course with a wide scoring spectrum isn't necessarily great. It's just one more trait among many that great courses possess.

Just like every great car has four wheels, but having four wheels doesn't make a car great. It's more then just this trait which makes the car great.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back