News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

gookin

Push Up Greens - Maintenance Practices
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:26:43 PM »
Under the leadership of our new superitendent Jason Hurwitz, Fox Chapel Golf Club is aggressively using new (new to us) maintenance techniques to restore our turf quality and continue our search for firm and fast. 75 years of organic build up has left us in a very vulnerable situation. The practices being introduced include new subsurface drainage, double drill and fill,  top dressing every two weeks, and going from triplex mowing to hand mowing of greens and approaches.  This is all in addition to our traditional twice per year core aerification with occational sand injection.  These procedures have been done at Oakmont over the past five years with tremendous results.  I would like to here from others who have developed similar programs and what have been their results.

TEPaul

Re:Push Up Greens - Maintenance Practices
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:38:59 PM »
What kind of grass do you have on those greens, David?

I had a long talk with JasonH the other day. You guys did good. Congratulations.

Aren't Oakmont's greens basically pushups? Unless it's too expensive for whatever reason why don't you guys basically follow them, particularly since they're right in town--in the same region? Since he came from Oakmont if any question comes up along the way Jason sure can call JohnZ about any detail under the sun.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:26:03 PM »
The superintendent at Hamburger GC Falkenstein (Germany) was faced with similar challenges years ago. Too much organic material had built up. He sent an email with some photos:

"Please find attached a soil profile of a green and a fairway at Hamburg Falkenstein after 4 years of irrrigating with Greensafer ( Biodyzon). Even on the fairway, where we slit perhaps once the year and leave the clipping on the turf, there is no layering or thatch to see.

On most golfcourses worldwide the water quality is not as it should be. Even if you have all the knowledge in greenkeeping and all the money in the world, you will not get the best turf, until the water quality is right. On top you get with Greensafer the advantages of thatch and black layer reduction until there is not much left. Very often we leave the clippings on the green and see no thatch increase. We in Falkenstein have now not holow cored the greens with soil exchange in the last 3 years, and you see with the attached soil profile, why it is not necessarryany any more. If you need further information, please let me know.

Kind regards send Norbert (Lischka)

Like all the supers I've met...a really good guy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:26:49 PM by Tony Ristola »

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:06:44 PM »
What is "Greensafer"?

I believe Oakmont, like a number of clubs with push up greens (including Pine Valley I think), installed the green drainage system by TDI International, and is pleased with it, though Mark Studer can chime in better than I on this.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back