News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

13th on the Red Course (Bethpage)
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:25:18 PM »
The 13th is heralded for it's centerline bunkers that split the fairway into two distinct options, the better angle to a smaller target left or the bailout right.  However, the angle is so bad from the right and greenside bunker a diffult carry to a relatively small target  . . is playing down the right side even viable?

In several attempts at the hole I've never tried it and was pondering the angle today from behind the green, I think the hole has lost some luster for me in that the bailout angle is so bad it appears never worth taking.  

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 10:26:28 PM by JKBlasberg »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Re:13th on the Red Course (Bethpage)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 02:16:38 AM »
Currently, the right fairway is not viable because it is nearly as narrow as the left fairway.  There is a picture somewhere that shows the right fairway being close to 50 yards wide vs. the current 18 yards.  The angle is meant to be poor, but with the trade off being the wide fairway.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
Even though the 13th fairway is today split by the bunker complex, there are some Bethpage historians who maintain that the original desigtn did not call for it, nor was it built that way.

According to them the left side of the fairway swung very close to the 11th tee, and actually sweeping over toward the now overgrown area between 13 & 14.

They are unsure as to the date when the right-side fairway on 13 was added, but most certainly no later than 1956 when the Yellow course was built. The reason behind the change was one of safety for those on 11 tee.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:00:12 AM by Philip Young »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
Phil;

Do you think the left fairway will ever be restored to original width?  I've never been able to hit the left fairway in regulation, and I know the angle is better from there.  
What a good hole, and difficult.  Never better than bogey on this hole.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 04:52:08 PM »
Doug, many like the dual fairways. If they were a bit wider, especially on the left, it would be a much better hole. As it is they have no plans to go back to the single fairway.

Now if Bethpage decides that they will accept the offered opportunity to host the Amateur, then maybe they will widen one side or the other as I believe that will be necessary.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back