News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Aidan Bradley

Re:Aidan Bradley and Jon Spaulding
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 07:01:20 PM »
The Prenuptial........

Ed, now that you teased them, you have forced me to tell the story.

Two years to the date from meeting my present (and only) wife, I proposed. After a round of golf at Banff Springs I returned to Chateau Lake Louise, poured myself a stiff Irish Whiskey, presented an engagement ring, and proposed marriage to my then girlfriend. Once the excitement of the moment and a "yes" was the response, my future wife said....."so when are we going to get married?"

Being a good Irishman and with my mother still alive, how could I have two women in my life?  Still my future bride pushed me to commit to a date to which I agreed to "sometime in the next five or six years". She was not satisfied with my new offer and with a more direct tone blurted out "but I am serious" to which I replied "so am I". Thankfully she was smart enough to let it be and buy more time to figure out a plan of attack.

Back in Santa Barbara and arriving home from work on a Friday afternoon, I was greeted with a large bucket of Bushmills Single Malt Irish Whiskey. "Have a sip" my wife said "I have a proposal for you". Several sips later I said "so what's the deal?"

Here is comes, the prenup........"If you can give me a reasonable period of time within which we will get married, I will permit you to play golf twice a week for the rest of your life no questions asked".

One sip later I said "howabout a year from today." Dosen't everyone have a prenup?????

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 07:09:55 PM »
Aidan,
   Thanks for posting that, now I can print it up and show it to my wife. :) Maybe I can get a postnuptial. :D I have no complaints though, my wife and kids are very understanding of my obsession.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 07:12:47 PM »
While I am not worthy to hold Ansel Adams tripod, I am happy that we have elevated the tone of this conversation from beers to Single Malts........

Aidan.

Mr B,
you are as fine a golf architecture photographer as Mr Adams was of landscape.

Modesty is only becoming when displayed by a young tyro. Courage is the home of the expert. Courage, me fine fellow!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »
Ed; thank you for the kind words....

Dave; you keep my ass in wonderful shape.... :P

For the rest; Cal State Santa Clara? Cuba? Damnit, we've come a long way. Used to be confused with the banana slugs of UCSC, but we're now flying the Canadian flag thanks to Stevie Nash. We also have an excellent women's water polo team at the expense of the football program and some other men's sports :-X.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 08:35:23 PM »
While I am not worthy to hold Ansel Adams tripod, I am happy that we have elevated the tone of this conversation from beers to Single Malts........

Aidan.

Aidan

Not true.  You absolutely have a much better sense of color and hues then Ansel ever had!  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 08:59:38 PM »
Careful GJ,

Ansel spent the last part of his life working with color polaroids of all things.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 09:37:24 PM »
Martin,

Slow down lad, lets discuss this over a Directors Bitter.......

GC,

Thank you for the kind words but I think you may have inhaled a wee bit off the Directors Bitter....

Ansel Adams was a true artist. I am but fortunate enough to do something that I have a passion for and if it brings pleasure to some then it has served its purpose and occasionally it puts some spuds and beer on my table.

Don't mean to trivialize but just wish to keep things in perspective. I check my EGO at the door.

Thank you.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
Careful GJ,

Ansel spent the last part of his life working with color polaroids of all things.

Oops. I didn't know that. I love his work and my time backpacking the Sierras during my time living in CA only gave me more appreciation for his vision of nature. I did a lot of darkroom work in College working for the yearbook so I understand the craftsmanship, chemistry and artistry involved in making those stunning images.

Aidan - Don't put yourself down too much.  You are an artist for sure and your photos elicit emotional responses to the viewer (at least one I know well  ;) )
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:17:23 PM by GJChilds »

Neil Regan

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »
  Did you guys know that Ansel Adams photographed Sam Snead, in color, playing to a famous (West Coast) 18th ?

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Jim Nugent

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 01:39:50 AM »
Aidan has the gift of making golf courses look like heaven.  A perfect idealization of what they could be, on those days the gods decide to play them.  

His photo of one hole at the European Club especially strikes me this way.  

Adams' photos hit me differently -- more like stark realities that capture their immutable essences.  

WTF am I talking about???  

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »
Aidan,
   Thanks for posting that, now I can print it up and show it to my wife. :) Maybe I can get a postnuptial. :D I have no complaints though, my wife and kids are very understanding of my obsession.

Great stuff!!!

I am in a similar situation in that my wife knew what she was getting into and also understands my passion (i.e, obsession) for golf.  I've "negotiated" 2-3 golf trips per year (without family) plus 1-2 rounds a week...not a bad deal really.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »
 Did you guys know that Ansel Adams photographed Sam Snead, in color, playing to a famous (West Coast) 18th ?

Neil,
   Don't leave us hanging mister. Post the photo or tell us where to look. :) Nice to see your name here, it's been a while.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Neil Regan

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 12:59:28 PM »
Ed,

I'll try to dig my copy out of the e-pile later. If I can find it, I'll post it.

I'd guess that somewhere there may be the original and other pictures from the same shoot. Is there an Adams Archive or Catalog anywhere ?

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back