News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Holes that make you go \
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 11:15:17 PM »
Triggers memories of the "original" GolfClubAtlas.com, eight years ago now... Morrissett, Shackelford, DeVries, Eger... no more.  
jeffmingay.com

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »
# 12 at GCGC

Patrick:

I recall somewhat previous threads about Garden City's 12th, and your take on it. Is it that it was altered poorly, or originally designed poorly, or something else? I've looked at the aerials, but having never played it, can't honestly tell what the ? is.

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »
James Morgan, what are you trying to do with these BUMPS?

My God, reading the posts on this early thread makes me really sad---DeVries, Shackelford, Papazian etc. Read those posts---they're magnificent and educational exchanges.

I'm sorry guys but it's nothing like it once was on here. Don't take it personally---most of those guys who were on here then and aren't anymore have said there is only so much to talk about and after that it begins to get like a broken record rerunning and rerunning.

By the way, November of 1999 was about five months after this website began.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:13:21 AM by TEPaul »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 05:55:33 PM »

# 12 at GCGC

Patrick:

I recall somewhat previous threads about Garden City's 12th, and your take on it. Is it that it was altered poorly, or originally designed poorly, or something else? I've looked at the aerials, but having never played it, can't honestly tell what the ? is.

Phil,

It's grotesquely out of context with the flavor of the golf course.  It's an abrupt intrusion, a shattering break in the beautiful continuity of the golf course that causes even those who ignore architecture to notice it immediately and ask, "what happened here? ".

The putting surface is a departure from all others.
The approach ..... strange, in that balls hitting the front left, stay on the fronting slope on the green, while balls landing on the front right of the green, and sometimes just short right, can't stay on the green.  And then, there's the surrounding bunkers, which are designed to thwart function.  Of the 4 surrounding bunkers, the front right bunker is probably the least offensive with the right flank bunker and the left rear bunker presenting "unique" recoveries, in that sidehill and downhill lies are prevalent.  The left front bunker is adequate.

In it's component features and collectively, the hole has few redeeming qualities when compared to the other holes.

# 2 is a terrific short par 3 and # 18 is a wonderful version of the Eden par 3.

When you view the ground level and aerial photos of the old 12th, you can only imagine what must have been one of the greatest collections of par 3's anywhere.

It's restoration is long overdue.

I hope that helps

Adam Sherer

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 08:41:13 PM »
The "new" 9th (or 10th) hole at Sakonnet.

Did the architect (not naming names) even look at the rest of the course when he redid the holes? How can you mess up a 10 acre parcel of oceanfront land on an old Ross course?

Now.....

SGC is a great 108 year old, oceanfront, 16-hole Donald Ross golf course

...and it has a neat 2 hole ____ designed course.
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back