News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Spaulding

Claremont CC
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:17:02 PM »
Had the opportunity to play 1/2 the course a couple of weeks ago, in a small tournament. By the time we arrived at 16 green, it was underwater via combination of hail & water....nonetheless I enjoyed what we were able to play. I have no datum, but the course has been in renovation mode via Doak/Urbina over the last few years as previously addressed on GCA. #11 was quite impressive as compared to original post-MacKenzie photos in the Doak book. Attached are a few photos.

#7 tee shot; note the green on the LH side of the fairway with the greenside bunkers serving as fairway bunkering.

#8 tee shot

approach to #9

tee shot on #11

approach to #11

walking to #12

the tracherous par 3 13th....

overhead of 14 green

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

David_Tepper

Re:Claremont CC
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
Jon -

Thanks for the pics. I have played Claremont a number of times, but not at all in the past 5 or so years.The work that has been done there, as shown in your pictures, is impressive.

Claremont is a very fun course in a fairly urban setting. It is similar to the Presidio in San Francisco in that regard.

It is remarkable how it seems to create its own environment once you walk from the parking lot on to the 1st tee. I am not sure I would want to play the course on a regular basis, but it is very much worth playing.

DT  

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:14:24 AM »
I don't know anything about the course but it looks very good.  It is amazing how many good courses there are.  Thanks for the pics.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 01:41:29 AM »
Jon,
   Thanks for sharing the pix. I had only seen a few old pix over the years of what looked mainly like an open meadow more than anything. I had no idea there was so much ground movement on that property. Looks interesting.
    Are there holes that cross over there?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »
It looks great. what sort of maintenance levels are kept there?

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:11:56 AM »
Ed G. -

Yes, Claremont has two holes that cross (#4 & #7, I think). It also has back-to-back par 3's (#2 & #3). Claremont is a par-68 course.

Due to the above (and the fact that you cross a road a couple of times playing the course), Claremont has a very old-school, British feel to it. If it was not for the views of the Bay Bridge, you might think you were near London or Edinburgh. There is even a cemetary adjacent to the 11th hole!

Like a lot of the SF Bay Area courses that were built 80-100 years ago, it probably has gotten a bit too tree-lined over the years.

The ground there does have quite a bit a movement.

DT
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:01:24 AM by David_Tepper »

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:17 AM »
thanks Jon

is the renovation work there complete??
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »
thanks Jon

is the renovation work there complete??

It "sounded" like they're still doing a few things; but I didn't ask the direct question. I will be headed out there in the next couple months & will find out. Or someone can IM Tom Doak & ask!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »
It looks great. what sort of maintenance levels are kept there?

I thought the maintenance level was good, from a "greenery" standpoint. Unable to ascertain much else as we were getting pissed on. Seems like the course "could" be kept quick as the greens were not very severe. One of the locals mentioned that it plays fast in the summertime.

The soil type/drainage was fairly poor, common in the area. The clays just hold in the water the entire winter & bake out in the summer. Of course they could go & spend Peninsula GC-type money for a sand strata!

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »
I find it interesting that the bunker collars look similar to another private course across the bay ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 03:17:56 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures.  Jim Urbina has been handling the renovation work there in his spare time, with some of my associates assisting on the machines ... I haven't been back since we rebuilt the seventh green, so it was nice to see the work that's been done.

He has done a lot of work now but I believe there is one more group of holes where the bunkers have yet to be restored ... we might do the work this fall depending on our other commitments.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 10:07:13 PM »
The 11th hole is nothing short of awesome in my book...

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »
I spent two summers caddying at at Claremont. The golf course has come a long way. Claremont is very fortunate to have Jay McDaniel as the director of golf. Simply put, the golf course would not be where it is today without his leadership. I cannot wait to see what happens with holes 2 and 3.

Claremont is a true study in maximizing land. The routing traverses a tiny hill in Oakland with ease.

Yes, Kalen... 11 is awesome. Especially now that all the trees are gone.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
Jon, nice pics.  I'm enjoying the tour around the Bay Area.

Any chance you will venture through the Caldecott tunnel to look at Orinda or Mira Vista?

Hopefully; right now I'm working on additional tours of duty at some other locales....and perhaps Shelter Cove GL.. :D. As pop would say, "let's get the damn house in order before we take on new business".

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 01:07:46 AM »
I spent two summers caddying at at Claremont. The golf course has come a long way. Claremont is very fortunate to have Jay McDaniel as the director of golf. Simply put, the golf course would not be where it is today without his leadership. I cannot wait to see what happens with holes 2 and 3.

Claremont is a true study in maximizing land. The routing traverses a tiny hill in Oakland with ease.

Yes, Kalen... 11 is awesome. Especially now that all the trees are gone.

Agreed; one of the better uses of a small property I've ever seen. If we can for once; forget par & yardage....quite a place. Jay was very friendly...I believe his wife is the golf coach at Cal....but I've forgiven him. At least Stevo had 32 tonight while Kidd got his 8 and then went out to beat up women.....

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
Love the photo of 11! Pretty soon you're going to have to put together your own confidentail guide to the bay area!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 01:10:57 PM »
I haven't played there in maybe 3 years which is crazy since you can almost see my house is one of the photos.

Last time I played I talked with a few members who just couldn't understand why the club and Tom Doak wanted to change the golf course.  This was maybe a week before they started on what was the old 7th green.  I would love to know what the members reaction is now?

John Keenan

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 04:06:20 PM »
I seem to remember that Claremont required caddies and long pants i.e no shorts. Is that correct.

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »
I seem to remember that Claremont required caddies and long pants i.e no shorts. Is that correct.

Definitely not when I was there... and see all the carts in hte pictures?  Sure looks like things haven't changed, but I haven't played it in a few years.

TH
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:11:40 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »
Pants are still required... The caddy program is not as strict as it was 15 years ago -- they allow carrying ones own bag at certain times.
Nobody has mentioned the clubhouse, either. Really magnificant.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:44:10 PM by Jeff_Stettner »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »
Jeff - what's with all the carts?  See the pics.

I've also played there three times and never done anything but ride... we were shuttled into carts.  I never saw any caddies.  Once was a charity tourney, so understood... but the other two times were normal play.

Must be just me - I do look like a cartballer.

I was never told no shorts, either. Interesting.

You're right in any case - that is one hell of a nice clubhouse.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 07:33:48 PM »
The caddy program was hanging by a precipitous thread when I was working there... The course is actually a rather tough walk with all the hills and street crossings. Aging membership meant more carts and less teenagers toting bags on a Saturday morning.
I have always walked and either carried my bag or taken a caddy. Of course, I've only played there with the staff or on caddy day.
We have to get you out there again to stretch your legs. It's no Boulder Ridge.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:34:08 PM by Jeff_Stettner »

Guy Phelan

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 07:38:57 PM »
Too bad there are so many cart paths...the course appears beautiful...thanks for the pics!

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »
Love the photo of 11! Pretty soon you're going to have to put together your own confidentail guide to the bay area!

Why don't we co-author a horror story for kids about the wonderful golf in SD and OC first? Maybe it could be a sci-fi work; a long time ago in a galaxy.....

David Stamm

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 09:58:03 PM »
I'd feel bad subjecting them to that scary of a golf tale! :'(
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back